5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome door guard mouldings

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd use some IPA to prep the surface, but that 3m tape ain't no joke. It will stick.
Thanks for the reply, you are speaking to the 3m tape that comes with the door mouldings from dawn enterprises?

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
RAM Accessories is now offering bodyside rim for Quad Cab - complete to rear wheelwell (i.e., 4 pieces per side). Chrome only. Mimics the Limited trim. Retails at $350. Part number is 82215697.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto! In the past two weeks, I've gotten not one, not two, but FIVE freaking door dings on the upper crease, three big ones on the passenger side and two on the driver side. I know it's not due to how I'm parking, since I'm very conscientious about parking in the center between the lines, so this is really ticking me off! I'm looking for door moldings now, and I really like the look of these, but if they don't stick out far enough to protect the top crease then they aren't worth it for me...
And people give us he!! for taking up two spaces at the parking lot. Wonder why?

fflis

Reaction score
I have the molding on my limited and I think I want to have it wrapped to match the body color. I feel like it looks cleaner without it. Here's my ****ty photoshop (wheels are photoshopped too)

ram.jpg

rxit

Reaction score
I like the chrome door moldings and just installed a pair on my 1500. I went with LJ International. They look good from a few feet away, but there is a small defect in the the molding that I didn't see until after it was installed. Definitely recommend getting a different brand than what I purchased.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the chrome door moldings and just installed a pair on my 1500. I went with LJ International. They look good from a few feet away, but there is a small defect in the the molding that I didn't see until after it was installed. Definitely recommend getting a different brand than what I purchased.

I was pleased with these...

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score

My problem with Dawn Enterprises is that their product is only 4 pieces (i.e., not 8) and thus does not extend onto the bed.

Too bad it's not available in black or body-color, instead of chrome.

rxit

Reaction score

Really wish I would have bought this set instead.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My problem with Dawn Enterprises is that their product is only 4 pieces (i.e., not 8) and thus does not extend onto the bed.

Perhaps you could order the black set and have them painted to match your paint codes.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Your problem is my reason for buying the DE product. That after thought chrome piece on the bed of the Limited molding package detracts from the overall look to me.

BigHorn-SV

Reaction score
Your problem is my reason for buying the DE product. That after thought chrome piece on the bed of the Limited molding package detracts from the overall look to me.
Possibly on the 5.7' bed, but IMO the 6.4' bed is long enuf to need it.

notimetoulouse

Reaction score
Just put these on today. The Dawn ones were out of stock for the next couple of weeks. Took a gamble on the ECOTRIC ones for $53 on Amazon. Very impressed with the quality. Great instructions. Came with a vial of ProBonD Activator. No alcohol wipes but I had a bottle anyway. No defects nor blemishes. The Dawn or Mopar ones may be better but I can't really see how they could be $100 to $200 better. Time will tell, of course, but initial impression is very favorable. moldings.jpg

RamThunder

Reaction score
With a new Laramie, I'm thinking of putting a set of these on too.

A question that was asked and never fully answered is: "How is the protection aspect?"

Is placing them higher, like one poster showed, better for protecting from paint/door dings?

OR is putting them in line with the "RAM" logo sufficient?

Thanks for your feedback?

ramhead

Reaction score
Late reply but placing them higher would be better for door ding protection. I checked by parking cars of family members (from a smaller sedan to a SUV) next to my truck and opening the doors to see....in every case the higher placement would "catch" more of the door edges opening into the doors of the truck. BUT there were some cases where the upper part of curved doors edges on the other vehs. would still wind up hitting the painted portion of the Ram.

The lower placement which would be the OEM style really sucks because it doesn't really do anything for protection and is mostly just for looks.

For these reasons I wound up not doing either....I figured I'd just park as far away as I can (which I've always done with my vehs) from anyone else when possible - problem is it's not always possible but for me it is about 90% of the time. But if you have to park on a daily basis in a lot, garage, etc, and can't park off by yourself, the higher placement would be what you want (yet you still might get some dings). The center height of door would be best (and is pretty much what used to be standard when it was function over style) but would look too stupid and isn't really an option.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
Late reply but placing them higher would be better for door ding protection. I checked by parking cars of family members (from a smaller sedan to a SUV) next to my truck and opening the doors to see....in every case the higher placement would "catch" more of the door edges opening into the doors of the truck. BUT there were some cases where the upper part of curved doors edges on the other vehs. would still wind up hitting the painted portion of the Ram.

The lower placement which would be the OEM style really sucks because it doesn't really do anything for protection and is mostly just for looks.

For these reasons I wound up not doing either....I figured I'd just park as far away as I can (which I've always done with my vehs) from anyone else when possible - problem is it's not always possible but for me it is about 90% of the time. But if you have to park on a daily basis in a lot, garage, etc, and can't park off by yourself, the higher placement would be what you want (yet you still might get some dings). The center height of door would be best (and is pretty much what used to be standard when it was function over style) but would look too stupid and isn't really an option.
Found that even when I parked out in left field, some jerk would park right next to me, so I started raising the truck to OR2, and deploying the running boards. So far so good

Users who are viewing this thread