5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome door guard mouldings

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this thread and offering your feedback on this product. Also, great job with the installation on your truck. I too am thinking about purchasing this product. How far does the molding stick out from the body? What I am wondering is whether it's more of an accent piece, or will it actually protect the body from parking lot dings. I'm kinda disappointed that their kit doesn't come with a little piece of trim for the area behind the rear door, and another piece for the area between front of bed and rear wheel-well.

The molding is about a quarter inch thick. And the area that it attaches too appears to be the area of the doors that stick out the furtherest. So I think it could help with parking lot dings, but that probably depends on the doors of the vehicle that would open and ding your doors.

I installed it mostly for the look. Ads a little bling to truck but it matches well.

Rossmc2000

Reaction score
Can you post more pics of it installed? I’m thinking about the color matched with chrome inlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you post more pics of it installed? I’m thinking about the color matched with chrome inlay.

Sure, Ross. Another pic is attached. If you order, you’ll need to give them the paint code that’s on a sticker inside the door jamb. They matched Billet Silver perfectly.

Attachments

• 789AFB29-2A5A-4118-9F36-7877BBABB621.jpeg
    789AFB29-2A5A-4118-9F36-7877BBABB621.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 255

Rossmc2000

Reaction score
Sure, Ross. Another one is below. What color truck do you have? If on the sticker in the door jamb. They matched Billet Silver perfectly.

Sure, Ross. Another pic is attached. If you order, you’ll need to give them the paint code that’s on a sticker inside the door jamb. They matched Billet Silver perfectly.

Thanks!! They look awesome. I have a big horn gray. I’m debating to get ones like you have here or the all chrome ones. I’m not sure which ones I want.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm kinda disappointed that their kit doesn't come with a little piece of trim for the area behind the rear door, and another piece for the area between front of bed and rear wheel-well.

i am glad the kit does not come with those afterthought looking pieces

M0brando

Reaction score
My truck got nailed last weekend with a door "ding" (dent) in the rear door, right along the top crease. I notice the molding (Sportwing and factory) goes along the lower crease. I know this was answered once, but for those that have the Sportwing molding installed, do you think it sticks out enough to protect the upper crease? At $125 for PDR on this one ding, I'd be willing to try the Sportwing moulding but it doesn't seem like it's going to stick out far enough. Granted I realize that it depends what kind of vehicle door is coming at it. Whoever the jerk is that did mine really slammed it against that crease good!

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
My truck got nailed last weekend with a door "ding" (dent) in the rear door, right along the top crease. I notice the molding (Sportwing and factory) goes along the lower crease. I know this was answered once, but for those that have the Sportwing molding installed, do you think it sticks out enough to protect the upper crease? At $125 for PDR on this one ding, I'd be willing to try the Sportwing moulding but it doesn't seem like it's going to stick out far enough. Granted I realize that it depends what kind of vehicle door is coming at it. Whoever the jerk is that did mine really slammed it against that crease good!
Ditto! In the past two weeks, I've gotten not one, not two, but FIVE freaking door dings on the upper crease, three big ones on the passenger side and two on the driver side. I know it's not due to how I'm parking, since I'm very conscientious about parking in the center between the lines, so this is really ticking me off! I'm looking for door moldings now, and I really like the look of these, but if they don't stick out far enough to protect the top crease then they aren't worth it for me...

Truckin

Reaction score
Ditto! In the past two weeks, I've gotten not one, not two, but FIVE freaking door dings on the upper crease, three big ones on the passenger side and two on the driver side. I know it's not due to how I'm parking, since I'm very conscientious about parking in the center between the lines, so this is really ticking me off! I'm looking for door moldings now, and I really like the look of these, but if they don't stick out far enough to protect the top crease then they aren't worth it for me...
I have the Dawn Chrome moldings but have not yet installed-part of it is finding time and part of it is waiting to see if the 2020 Longhorns come with or have an option for factory moldings. I would have ordered the Limited moldings if the front section did not say 'Limited'...

However, I did take off the power running boards on my Longhorn and installed the Ram Off Road style-they sit up high and stick out a bit and while they will not protect from every ding, I have noticed vertical marks of white and yellow paint on the sides of them already!

It just really sucks that people have no respect for others property...I am always super carful about hitting someones car and was even way back in the day when my truck had more rusted out panels than not!

Rossmc2000

Reaction score
I have the Dawn Chrome moldings but have not yet installed-part of it is finding time and part of it is waiting to see if the 2020 Longhorns come with or have an option for factory moldings. I would have ordered the Limited moldings if the front section did not say 'Limited'...

However, I did take off the power running boards on my Longhorn and installed the Ram Off Road style-they sit up high and stick out a bit and while they will not protect from every ding, I have noticed vertical marks of white and yellow paint on the sides of them already!

It just really sucks that people have no respect for others property...I am always super carful about hitting someones car and was even way back in the day when my truck had more rusted out panels than not!

Are you by chance selling your power running boards? Where do you live?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I bought the Dawn painted with chrome insert. I must admit that I am very impressed with the quality of these as well as the great care they take in packaging and shipping them to prevent damage. Overall, it is a really good product that looks great as well. The only downside was the instructions were not for a 2019 new RAM. It was easy enough to figure out on my own by following the body lines though.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this the best place to order the chrome molding from?
Here’s a couple of pics of my Longhorn with their molding. Very pleased with their product.

Attachments

• F81DAD9C-CBE0-41AA-B8BB-7DDD1EA0A763.jpeg
    F81DAD9C-CBE0-41AA-B8BB-7DDD1EA0A763.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 139
  • D1C0C33F-8B38-4C9D-BB98-8ECA4A887F7E.jpeg
    D1C0C33F-8B38-4C9D-BB98-8ECA4A887F7E.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread