5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
I did see a video on YouTube with lomax cover. But this may be a general ram truck thing. Is there a fix for the big gap at the the tailgate when closed? Or do some other covers cover that up more. And would be looking for under rail mounted not over the rail caps.

freerider969

Reaction score
Much happier now with my x15 cover..
Here is the before and after pics of the gap at the tailgate.

I called truxedo and asked for a front header front seal because the gap wasnt covered by the rear seal.
Bummer! Im glad I saw your post as I was seriously considering the truxedo.

chad202

Reaction score
You worried about water with the gap or the look? It looks fine. I put rubber seal on post pillars so if any water does get in that gap, it cant get into the bed.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You worried about water with the gap or the look? It looks fine. I put rubber seal on post pillars so if any water does get in that gap, it cant get into the bed.

I don't remember if you posted pictures before but it wouldn't hurt to show him what you mean if you have any.

chad202

Reaction score
I can get a better picture this evening but on previous page I posted a picture of the railing for the lomax. In that picture you can see the rubber seal I put. It starts there and runs down till it turns at the bottom. When it turns it goes about 4" and that's where I stopped it.

Neokane

Reaction score
Bummer! Im glad I saw your post as I was seriously considering the truxedo.

They did provide the larger seal and it works well.
The only place I get water in at is the tail gate gap.
To be honest, the only time I notice water in the bed is when I go through the car wash.

db682

Reaction score
I just ordered the Roll-N-Lock M. Most of my friends have them and love it. So I had called Roll-N-Lock to find out if I could use this with out the tailgate rail thing and they told me yes and gave me a 20% off coupon code. So it should be here tomorrow. The code is “JW20” if anybody is looking at one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming your going with the LG404M. I've been looking real hard at that one as well. Please post photos when you can because I haven't been able to get any good photos or reviews on it. My only issues was loosing the cargo rails but I dont know if I'd really ever use them anyways.

Reaction score
I'm assuming your going with the LG404M. I've been looking real hard at that one as well. Please post photos when you can because I haven't been able to get any good photos or reviews on it. My only issues was loosing the cargo rails but I dont know if I'd really ever use them anyways.

Check out this video, this guy installed one

And I ordered the 401M. If you look at the instructions it looks like you can keep the rails on my model. But I don’t have Ram Boxes.

tdager

Reaction score
So what hard tonneau cover gives one the ability to have the most bed for usage at a moments notice that does NOT require removing the cover? So far I am thinking the Bakflip MX4, due to its ability to flip up and out of the way.

beekay99

Reaction score
Like others, weighing between MX4 (usability of full cargo vertical cargo area) versus Lomax (ease of one person removal). Having had a fiberglass cap for years and being stuck with it, I kinda love the idea of getting rid of the cover whenever I pleases for whatever reason and easily putting it aside.

And thank god for the recommendation to go check out Luke with Truckalterations.com. He easily matched the amazon price and then some! Not only that he beat the amazon price for the BedRug I was eyeing. So I got that from him too! And free shipping to boot! This company seems to good to be true.

freerider969

Reaction score
There are other bed cover threads than this one, but if anyone wants a sub $200 cover that is a roll cover (easily can be retracted without any loss of bed space) check out the Tyger T1 roll cover. I'm not affiliated in any way. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, look at my profile and find the thread in the forums. I also have a picture posted of how it looks installed.

For the price, I am amazed by the quality so far. For busy dads running to and from kids sporting events, having to keep equipment dry and also to quickly have an open bed to haul stuff it has been great so far. For the money, I think it can't be beat if you need quick multifunctional bed cover.
Thank you for sharing, I will check out your post and see if I can view the pics. I don't want a hard top I had a bak flip before on my 2013 Ram and it was ok at best. Sounds like the Tyger T1 is the one to get.

Reactions: Jtr

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I just installed the Truxedo LoPro, and I really like how it turned out. We had a huge downpour two nights ago, and I did notice that up at the bulkhead there was some water that came in at each corner. The truck rakes forward, so the water rushes down that way. I’m wondering if this will consistently be an issue or if there is a viable solution to resolve it.

It’s not terrible, but it’s enough to be annoying.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get a better picture this evening but on previous page I posted a picture of the railing for the lomax. In that picture you can see the rubber seal I put. It starts there and runs down till it turns at the bottom. When it turns it goes about 4" and that's where I stopped it.

Oh I see what you did. What seal did you buy? Was it a kit or did you just buy something at Home Depot?

chad202

Reaction score

Attachments

• DBC11C2A-1151-46B7-BAEF-5BBC6A16AF50.png
    DBC11C2A-1151-46B7-BAEF-5BBC6A16AF50.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 109

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies if this was already beaten death many pages ago.

I'm curious why so many people seem to be going for a trifold like the BakFlip instead of a roll-up(-on-top) like the Revolver.

I had a BakFlip (G2?) on my '09. After 10 years, it still worked like new. The top didn't LOOK like new, but it still looked pretty good. As good as the rest of the truck, anyway. :)

Back when I bought that, they didn't have roll-ups like the Revolver (as far as I know). Before I bought the BakFlip, I had Retrax on a couple of previous trucks, but I didn't like how much space it took up in the bad (even in my F350 with a 6'4" bed), nor the fact that I couldn't easily remove it, if I wanted to go without it for a quick trip. And, looking back, I don't like that it required its own key.

I bought the BakFlip hoping it would allow me to put a motorcycle in the back of the truck without interference. It did not. The front wheel would still hit the front edge of the BakFlip before it would hit the front wall of the bed. I made do for 10 years. Mostly, by just taking the BakFlip off whenever I needed to haul a motorcycle. It was a pain, but at least it was feasible.

I also did not especially like how the BakFlip completely blocked my view out of the rear window when it was folded up.

I'm looking at the Revolver (X4, specifically). That looks like it might address all my issues with the BakFlip and I can't see any real downside.

It LOOKS like it might roll up small enough that the front wheel on my motorcycle can get to the front wall of the bed before it hits the roll of the cover. If not, well, I wouldn't be any worse off than with the tri-fold.

It definitely looks like I'll still have SOME visibility out of the rear window.

And it still looks like it would give me all the same advantages I liked about the BakFlip. I don't need a key for it, yet once it is closed and the tailgate is closed and locked, the bed of the truck is secure. It has metal slats, so somebody can't just slice it open to get inside the bed. It says it has a 400# load capacity. I can remove it pretty quickly and easily, if I need to (leaving just the side rails). It should be as waterproof as the BakFlip was (which was probably 95%+, and I never really tried to make it 100% - 95% is plenty good enough for my purposes).

In other words, it SEEMS like it has all the good of a tri-fold with none of the bad.

So, what am I missing? Why are so many people going with a tri-fold instead?

Is it just a money thing? I haven't looked at the prices of the tri-folds. I did get a quote of $945 for a Revolver X4 (5'7" bed w/RamBoxes), delivered, from Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet.

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
Apologies if this was already beaten death many pages ago.

I'm curious why so many people seem to be going for a trifold like the BakFlip instead of a roll-up(-on-top) like the Revolver.

I had a BakFlip (G2?) on my '09. After 10 years, it still worked like new. The top didn't LOOK like new, but it still looked pretty good. As good as the rest of the truck, anyway. :)

Back when I bought that, they didn't have roll-ups like the Revolver (as far as I know). Before I bought the BakFlip, I had Retrax on a couple of previous trucks, but I didn't like how much space it took up in the bad (even in my F350 with a 6'4" bed), nor the fact that I couldn't easily remove it, if I wanted to go without it for a quick trip. And, looking back, I don't like that it required its own key.

I bought the BakFlip hoping it would allow me to put a motorcycle in the back of the truck without interference. It did not. The front wheel would still hit the front edge of the BakFlip before it would hit the front wall of the bed. I made do for 10 years. Mostly, by just taking the BakFlip off whenever I needed to haul a motorcycle. It was a pain, but at least it was feasible.

I also did not especially like how the BakFlip completely blocked my view out of the rear window when it was folded up.

I'm looking at the Revolver (X4, specifically). That looks like it might address all my issues with the BakFlip and I can't see any real downside.

It LOOKS like it might roll up small enough that the front wheel on my motorcycle can get to the front wall of the bed before it hits the roll of the cover. If not, well, I wouldn't be any worse off than with the tri-fold.

It definitely looks like I'll still have SOME visibility out of the rear window.

And it still looks like it would give me all the same advantages I liked about the BakFlip. I don't need a key for it, yet once it is closed and the tailgate is closed and locked, the bed of the truck is secure. It has metal slats, so somebody can't just slice it open to get inside the bed. It says it has a 400# load capacity. I can remove it pretty quickly and easily, if I need to (leaving just the side rails). It should be as waterproof as the BakFlip was (which was probably 95%+, and I never really tried to make it 100% - 95% is plenty good enough for my purposes).

In other words, it SEEMS like it has all the good of a tri-fold with none of the bad.

So, what am I missing? Why are so many people going with a tri-fold instead?

Is it just a money thing? I haven't looked at the prices of the tri-folds. I did get a quote of $945 for a Revolver X4 (5'7" bed w/RamBoxes), delivered, from Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet.

Go with lomax. Can fold up flat does not block back window and when need to put the bike in you can take off the whole cover and put in cab.

freerider969

Reaction score
Go with lomax. Can fold up flat does not block back window and when need to put the bike in you can take off the whole cover and put in cab.

What is going price on the lomax?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But, that takes up even more room of the bed than a BakFlip. No way I'd do that. If I'm, just for one example, putting furniture in the back, that gives me even less room. "Take it off" kind of defeats the purpose of having one. And, if I'm putting taller stuff in there, where I need it to be folded up, the fact that the cover doesn't block the rear window is probably moot, since the furniture (or whatever) in the back probably blocks the view anyway. So, blocking the rear window is not that big of a deal. I put it as very secondary to being able to use as much of the bed as possible without having to take the cover off.

If the Revolver lets me put the bike in the back, then what's the downside of going with it?

Carnut12

Reaction score

I wasn’t aware I lost my cargo rails in order to install this unit, I’m thinking about it too, but like you said the reviews for it are few and far between, most are 10 years old. I am thinking about the A Series. I’m also considering the Retrax. I had a Bakflip on my last truck and it was OK, but I like the roll idea better and with the 6’4” bed the room it takes isn’t an issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread