5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Best Tonneau Cover

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I think I’m seeing tonneau covers in my sleep at this point...
Been researching for days and (for better or worse) I’m looking at tri-folds.

We live at 7800 ft in northern NM. A lot of roads here are gravel/dirt and there’s an omnipresent layer of dirt/grit on everything (detail your vehicle, leave it in a closed garage and it’s still covered in a layer of ‘nature’ in 24 hours). This makes me leery of the aluminum top panel models. Everything here takes a real solar beating. We’re typically dry weather-wise, but monsoons can drop heavy and we get our share of hail (ranging from pea to dime size typically). All of that makes me think the FRP top panel type would be most durable. That leads me to the BAK F1. Like the look of the Lomax, but not thrilled with the fact that, in full flip-up, it doesn’t contact the cab (seems an unstable position to me) and it has the aluminum top panels.

Can’t do anything until I actually get my truck (it’s currnetly stuck in the freight yard in Peoria, AZ) and see where the BUG rails are mounted, but want to be ready to pull the trigger in the tonneau 5 seconds after I take delivery.

Have the 5’7” bed on limited 4x4 crew cab. Don’t want a one piece or a retractable (typical use will be Costco runs, so trifold is ideal for function). Not overly concerned with 100% water-tight, but definitely concerned with long term endurance in our sun, wind & dirt.

Anyone have another brand to pitch? (Thanks in advance!)

tul9033

Reaction score
No issues with interference with the opening of the rambox? There is a whole thread detailing the difficulties with the Retrax and rambox. Retrax was my first choice, but after this thread I'm leaning towards the Lomax.

I went with the Retrax Pro on my 4th gen Rebel and it fit on my new 2019 Limited. I absolutely think this is the best bed cover ever

Foster432

Reaction score
I just put on the truxedo pro x15 and I didn’t have any fitment issues at all.

Also, I noticed many people on this forum mention Luke at Truck Alterations and I would say when you are ready to buy, buy it from him. The price was right and the shipping was free.
I ordered on Monday and Wednesday it was at my house.

MADDOGSHADY

Reaction score
My first post- I Just bought a 2019 Dodge Ram with a 5’7” bed (new body style, I don’t have RamBox). I would like to get the cover with Stake Cover holes already in the rails. They don’t list it as an option for the 2019 new body style. What is different if I order one designed for an older model ? I have seen on this forum that people have used an older Retraxpro MX on a new Ram with RamBoxes, but I don’t have that and really want the cutouts so I can put bull rings in them. Also, on the model with the cutouts in the rails, are they just for the back stake holes, or are they also cut out already for the stake holes closest to the cab?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I win the award for the biggest bozo of the year. So I ordered a 5'7" long Lomax cover. Upon the install I realized I have a 6'4" bed. It wasn't listed anywhere on the build sheet and I didn't even really think about it. I assumed all crew cabs came with the 5'7" because when you select it online it reverts to that right away.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed at myself. Now I have to hope the company I bought it from will pay for shipping back or its going to cost me a fortune.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I win the award for the biggest bozo of the year. So I ordered a 5'7" long Lomax cover. Upon the install I realized I have a 6'4" bed. It wasn't listed anywhere on the build sheet and I didn't even really think about it. I assumed all crew cabs came with the 5'7" because when you select it online it reverts to that right away.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed at myself. Now I have to hope the company I bought it from will pay for shipping back or its going to cost me a fortune.
In the event you end up stuck with it you could always put it up on the buy/sell/trade section here and see if someone close wants to pick it up.

Pressgrove

Reaction score

We've all done things like this...... Props to you for being willing to publicly share it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that's my plan. If they won't take it back it will be for sale locally. It's my first truck so I didn't really notice at all. I had a Grand Cherokee SRT before so they all seemed huge.

Oh well, I guess a 6'4" bed isn't a bad thing. More room to haul crap.

jnk27

Reaction score
I'd like to thank those who recommended Luke at http://truckalterations.com. I was going back and forth between the Lomax and BakFlip then ultimately decided on the Lomax because I preferred quick removal instead of blocking the rear window. I emailed [email protected] last Tuesday night and by the time I checked my email Wednesday morning he replied with a price over $200 less than I could find on amazon (plus free shipping). I placed my order that morning and had my tonneau cover installed 30 minutes after FedEx delivered it on Friday.

Reaction score
I just ordered the Roll-N-Lock M. Most of my friends have them and love it. So I had called Roll-N-Lock to find out if I could use this with out the tailgate rail thing and they told me yes and gave me a 20% off coupon code. So it should be here tomorrow. The code is “JW20” if anybody is looking at one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freerider969

Reaction score
It was not quite THAT short......That was back in July and the part # was correct but I don't think they had shipped many. Even when I shifted the cover far enough to the rear to eliminate the tail gate gap the frame kept the tailgate from closing properly.....all in all not engineered while at all. They may have corrected it but they have not offered to replace mine
Thank you for sharing as i was considering them, I will keep looking on this thread.

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
I see two different colors for the lomax. What would be best for black rebel?

I had a lomax on my Colorado just traded in so kinda partial to that brand from experience.

chad202

Reaction score
Think the lomax pro is the diamond plate cover. Stick with the mat black textured.

jonnyt

Reaction score
Think I am just gonna pull the trigger on the lomax...maybe....what about the...toooo many choices!!

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are other bed cover threads than this one, but if anyone wants a sub $200 cover that is a roll cover (easily can be retracted without any loss of bed space) check out the Tyger T1 roll cover. I'm not affiliated in any way. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, look at my profile and find the thread in the forums. I also have a picture posted of how it looks installed.

For the price, I am amazed by the quality so far. For busy dads running to and from kids sporting events, having to keep equipment dry and also to quickly have an open bed to haul stuff it has been great so far. For the money, I think it can't be beat if you need quick multifunctional bed cover.

tgtt

Reaction score
Anyone running a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit with ramboxes? Thoughts?

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread