5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chips in Body Color Bumper

TheBobs

Reaction score
I picked up my '21 Bighorn Delmonico Red back in September of '22 and have driven my usual 15,000 this winter visiting customers in the NE Ohio/Western PA and Western NY region. I'm very meticulous about cleaning my trucks during this time of year to minimize corrosion and this week after I washed the truck I noticed a number of chips on the front body color bumper. I'm not necessarily upset by that since I put a lot of miles on the truck each year but on my '14 Laramie Longhorn with the chrome bumper I only had a couple of scratches and marks in the 8 years I owned it. These chips surprised me.

What if anything do you do to repair and/or prevent the chips in the body colored bumper? The chips have an off-white color to them which really stands out on the Delmonico Red bumper.

TIA...

Bob

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I picked up my '21 Bighorn Delmonico Red back in September of '22 and have driven my usual 15,000 this winter visiting customers in the NE Ohio/Western PA and Western NY region. I'm very meticulous about cleaning my trucks during this time of year to minimize corrosion and this week after I washed the truck I noticed a number of chips on the front body color bumper. I'm not necessarily upset by that since I put a lot of miles on the truck each year but on my '14 Laramie Longhorn with the chrome bumper I only had a couple of scratches and marks in the 8 years I owned it. These chips surprised me.

What if anything do you do to repair and/or prevent the chips in the body colored bumper? The chips have an off-white color to them which really stands out on the Delmonico Red bumper.

TIA...

Bob

Chrome will not show near the road wear paint will. My truck is a 20 and has had PPF since a week old. It barely shows any wear and the wear that is there is in the film which can be replaced far cheaper than a repaint.

20221009_131028.jpg
At 55K miles

Dewey

Reaction score
My black bumper is pretty beat up already at 20,000 miles. Gotta be at least 15 chips with some bigger than others.

Anybody try the the Dr Color Chip kit? How well does it work on this?

Also is PPF available in a DIY kit or is it only done professionally.

BowDown

Reaction score
My black bumper is pretty beat up already at 20,000 miles. Gotta be at least 15 chips with some bigger than others.

I believe they offer a diy kit for the bumper but my installer only quoted me about $300 for PPF'ing the bumper.

I think the diy kit is about 100

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To get a precut ppf film, the cheapest I have found was 175.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I love my Patriot Blue sport and the color matched bumpers look nice, but they do chip so easy. I didn’t get PPF since I bought the truck with 3K miles on it. It’s my first truck with a painted bumper. It took a pretty good rock hit once towards the bottom of the bumper that dented a bit and I touched up with paint. Numerous chips touched up also. I’ve had more rocks hit this truck than my last three trucks combined. Funny how that works. I’ve been extremely meticulous at trying to keep this truck nice and it’s like the universe is trying to show me who’s boss lol. 44K miles on it now. I’m sure there will be more rocks my way

Thinking I’m gonna go back to chrome bumpers and grill on the next purchase 10 years down the road.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
The metal and paint on these new trucks sure seem a lot softer. Much more softer than my 06 was.

Dewey

Reaction score

I was wrong about 15 chips. Counted today and it’s well over 30 already with some pretty decent size. One day I was quite a distance behind a salt truck and wondering if that didn’t cause more. Pretty sad if rock salt and do that much damage.😡

Only on the black bumper. The Granite Crystal above on the grill and hood is perfect.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wrong about 15 chips. Counted today and it’s well over 30 already with some pretty decent size. One day I was quite a distance behind a salt truck and wondering if that didn’t cause more. Pretty sad if rock salt and do that much damage.😡

Only on the black bumper. The Granite Crystal above on the grill and hood is perfect.
I'm in the same situation, just awful.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have like 30 unpainted chips currently in my front bumper. I had chips on my 1700 mile drive home. I've painted around 25 or so also.
Touch up paint works perfectly on my black truck, can't even see them, sometimes I can't find the ones I just painted. I don't even bother with clearcoat just put enough black in to cover the bare metal and they dissappear.

I need to paint my bumper around once a month, and I don't drive very much. Maybe 100 miles a week.

PPF is okay but lots of time it will rip or rocks will go right through it. It's very expensive also. A proper film is going to be around 300-400 for the bumper else you get some cheap crap that's going to yellow in a year. Install also looks to be a pain to do. I had my previous truck in Xpel and they had to do the front bumper 4 times all on their dime because the job was crap. Xpel itself seemed decent quality but still allowed some chips to go right through and in some spots I had flaps where I assume a rock auctally ripped the plastic.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I had a rock bust my windshield a few weeks ago. Got that replaced. Looks like my A post got a bit of an indent from where it was replaced too. Can only see it from a certain angle. Then a few days later a rock hit my driver window and put a knick in it and the b pillar plastic. I give up trying to chase perfection on this truck.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Mine is a daily like I’m sure most of the people on this forum’s is. Dings and chips are just going to happen. Idk if I can justify the expense of PPF because I know a few of the hits to my bumper would still have had an impact with PPF

BowDown

Reaction score
I have like 30 unpainted chips currently in my front bumper. I had chips on my 1700 mile drive home. I've painted around 25 or so also.
Touch up paint works perfectly on my black truck, can't even see them, sometimes I can't find the ones I just painted. I don't even bother with clearcoat just put enough black in to cover the bare metal and they dissappear.

I need to paint my bumper around once a month, and I don't drive very much. Maybe 100 miles a week.

PPF is okay but lots of time it will rip or rocks will go right through it. It's very expensive also. A proper film is going to be around 300-400 for the bumper else you get some cheap crap that's going to yellow in a year. Install also looks to be a pain to do. I had my previous truck in Xpel and they had to do the front bumper 4 times all on their dime because the job was crap. Xpel itself seemed decent quality but still allowed some chips to go right through and in some spots I had flaps where I assume a rock auctally ripped the plastic.

Cheap PPF, maybe DIY kits but not reputable, high quality PPF. High quality PPF also doesn't yellow and comes with a 5 or 10 year warranty but PPF isn't designed to prevent rock chips, it greatly reduces them and allows for the paint underneath to remain in as new condition. You may need to replace PPF every 3-5 years but that depends on the conditions you drive in. My installer told me to expect 3 to 5 years of life driving in the Dallas area using LLumar Platinum and at 55K miles, I have a few expected nicks but the front isn't sandblasted like many others complain of. I may have 5 visible nicks in the film that when I have the bumper re-filmed, will be completely gone. My film has done exactly what I expected it to do, sacrifice itself and protect the paint

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

TIA...

Bob
Painted steel bumpers will always chip easily. When a rock hits steel at 70mph it is a hard impact, on a plastic car bumper the plastic will deflect some to absorb the impact and have a better chance of the paint not chipping. I had PPF done when the truck was new 4 years ago and the bumper still looks new.

Last edited:

ObiRedKenobi

Reaction score
I've got some chips on mine. I'm just going to ride it till I can't stand it anymore then have it painted and put PPF on it.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I’ve just used touch up paint. With clear on some of the bigger ones and the one that dented it a bit at the lower bumper. Does a good job covering them up for the most part

Users who are viewing this thread