5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chip Shortage=You Ain't gettin' your Ram with that

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys know if the dealer is able to add BSM to our Laramie's if we paid for it out of pocket? I know you need the mirrors, the BSM modules, some rewiring, and a new set of tail lights. It is the one option that I really wanted when I traded in my 2018 Silverado which then they didn't have them on their trucks at all.
It can probably be added but the dealer won't know how to do it and will need to investigate. It won't be worth it $$$ to have the dealer do it even if they agree to try. You should be able to do it yourself, and shouldn't need new taillights (only the sensors inside, though I'm not sure if you can get into the housing to install them). I ordered an almost-bare bones Limited because blind spot was a must.

Maybe there is a post on here of someone adding BSM to their truck? Do a quick search.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Peugeot announced they’re replacing digital dash with an analog cluster. If things don’t improve, the 2022 Ram will have a carburetor, roll down windows, and a five speed manual. Which doesn’t sound too bad, until you see the $45,000 starting price.
Ya but then no chip shortage issue so is it really a bad thing? Lol - this comment was pretty funny

captainzombie

Reaction score
It can probably be added but the dealer won't know how to do it and will need to investigate. It won't be worth it $$$ to have the dealer do it even if they agree to try. You should be able to do it yourself, and shouldn't need new taillights (only the sensors inside, though I'm not sure if you can get into the housing to install them). I ordered an almost-bare bones Limited because blind spot was a must.

Maybe there is a post on here of someone adding BSM to their truck? Do a quick search.

There is a thread on here where they discuss on how to add it, but it seems like it can get overly complicated - How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500.

I don't blame you going with a bare bones Limited. We found a bare bones limited where the price was $1k more than what we paid for the Laramie, but I didn't like the color or chrome on it, so I strayed away from it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Peugeot announced they’re replacing digital dash with an analog cluster. If things don’t improve, the 2022 Ram will have a carburetor, roll down windows, and a five speed manual. Which doesn’t sound too bad, until you see the $45,000 starting price.
1621102743778.png
This peeps was when a truck was a truck. 1972 Sequoia Brown Metallic, 4 speed 360, and it was a manual hub 2 speed diff 4x4. I had same year, same color but 4x2 longbed. Best truck I've ever owned out of the oh, 6.
Paid $2,400 for it in 1974.
Oh this one sold at auction in Cali for a reported $24.5K in August 2020.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me too, actually on May 4th 2021 and received the POC on the May 11th. I did have trouble trying to order the longhorn, so I went up to the limited.

That's strange, what were you able to get on the limited as oppose to the longhorn? Seems the only difference in what's available is the interior colors, or the 20" wheels?

Unless they are just restricting certain parts for longhorns but not limiteds. Just kind of strange since they are both top shelf trim levels.

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
Any word on ordering a Rebel? I’ve been looking for one with my list and haven’t found anything within several hundred miles. anyone know if the factory lines are even open?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it is funny how the Automotive Companies are planning on a big
Sales Event at the end of the month, but they all have Vehicles sitting for
lack of chips for components. Ford has 10K+ trucks sitting at the Kentucky
Speedway, GM has Trucks sitting too. What are the Dealers supposed to sell?

Malodave

thos.hargrove

Reaction score
View attachment 93554
This peeps was when a truck was a truck. 1972 Sequoia Brown Metallic, 4 speed 360, and it was a manual hub 2 speed diff 4x4. I had same year, same color but 4x2 longbed. Best truck I've ever owned out of the oh, 6.
It fetched the high price because of the nice cap and deluxe mudflap!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't really chip shortage. It's consequence of lack of planning and procurement and not having an actual supply chain and relying on last minute other side of the world just in time capacity with cheap labor and volume discounts suddenly evaporating. No volume discounts, no excess capacity, no cheap foreign labor. If you hadn't booked it and ordered it well in advance, you can forget it, for almost any price now. This is the price "cheap" gets you when you sell off all your domestic production and outsource everything.

There's more to it. Nobody plans for a global pandemic that causes game consoles and other consumer goods purchasing to skyrocket causing a synthetic shortage. The 2nd and 3rd tier suppliers also operate JIT and fudged their stock commitments to buyers. FCA held back features and/or unbundled them from packages and forced buyers to pay more or move up to higher trims that still included the features.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 93554
Could have put your money in the bank and had more in interest 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread