5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chip Shortage=You Ain't gettin' your Ram with that

Matrixband

Reaction score
I tried to order today after deciding on options. They could not order the Longhorn Level One Group on the computer, likely a chip shortage issue or a reconfiguration of packages due to the chip shortage?
Now I read here some are saying no Advanced Safety Package, or Level one with no blindspot warning, only one key fob.
Look Ram I don't NEED a truck right now. Don't offer something then take it away. That sounds like bait and switch. I might as well wait, maybe till the 2022s come out, IF they come out, or go over to the Ford dealer.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yikes. Only one key fob? They’re getting desperate

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tried to order a 2021 at my dealership earlier this week but they couldn't place the order. They said Ram stopped taking orders for 2021 model 1500's, and will be taking orders for 2022 models in 2 to 3 weeks. Luckily I found a truck on a lot that my dealership trades with. It's arriving this afternoon. No more 23 gallon tank for me!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to order a 2021 at my dealership earlier this week but they couldn't place the order. They said Ram stopped taking orders for 2021 model 1500's, and will be taking orders for 2022 models in 2 to 3 weeks. Luckily I found a truck on a lot that my dealership trades with. It's arriving this afternoon. No more 23 gallon tank for me!
That’s awesome Mike! What did you end up getting?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Peugeot announced they’re replacing digital dash with an analog cluster. If things don’t improve, the 2022 Ram will have a carburetor, roll down windows, and a five speed manual. Which doesn’t sound too bad, until you see the $45,000 starting price.

Matrixband

Reaction score
2022s already? Really? Well, I may just order one of those, so long as I can take delivery before the end of the year...?

Limited2021

Reaction score
Peugeot announced they’re replacing digital dash with an analog cluster. If things don’t improve, the 2022 Ram will have a carburetor, roll down windows, and a five speed manual. Which doesn’t sound too bad, until you see the $45,000 starting price.
At least everything on it would work thou!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The chip shortage has been affecting the package offerings in the HD trucks for months now.

RAM took BSM out of one of the packages on the lower trims and renamed them to indicate the change, though you could add it back in as a separate sales code for more $. Pay to play I guess. They never did pull any features from the Limited/Limited Longhorn.

2021 HD orders were halted several weeks ago.

Matrixband

Reaction score
I bet orders for 2022 models, delivery will get delayed due to the chip shortage as well. In the past, I know some 2021s for instance, arrived in dealers in the Fall before the end of the year. Well, at least I know the reason for the quirky ordering process, it just is not there to be ordered... I was finally convinced to spend the money because I could get specifically what I wanted. So, more waiting...

Matrixband

Reaction score
Ford is having the same issues. This is not a bait and switch. The global supply chain is totally screwed at the moment and it’s not just limited to auto manufacturers.
Yes, I know it's not really a bait and switch, it just feels like that. I see online configurator, packages, research, great, here it is! now order.......Nope, can't get what it says.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can be sure that whatever they (an all businesses) can get away with in the name of global issues - they will never bring back. They're watching...people will buy a vehicle with one fob for the same price or more as when there was two, great it will always be one and a second will cost you extra. And so on down the line.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It isn't really chip shortage. It's consequence of lack of planning and procurement and not having an actual supply chain and relying on last minute other side of the world just in time capacity with cheap labor and volume discounts suddenly evaporating. No volume discounts, no excess capacity, no cheap foreign labor. If you hadn't booked it and ordered it well in advance, you can forget it, for almost any price now. This is the price "cheap" gets you when you sell off all your domestic production and outsource everything.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... I ordered a 2021 Limited today.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The chip shortage has been affecting the package offerings in the HD trucks for months now.

RAM took BSM out of one of the packages on the lower trims and renamed them to indicate the change, though you could add it back in as a separate sales code for more $. Pay to play I guess. They never did pull any features from the Limited/Limited Longhorn.

2021 HD orders were halted several weeks ago.
On HDs?

On 1500s can't get BSM on Laramie even at extra cost. On Big Horn it was always extra $595 (same as on Ford XLT). Part of Level 1 on Longhorn, standard and available on Limited.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to order today after deciding on options. They could not order the Longhorn Level One Group on the computer, likely a chip shortage issue or a reconfiguration of packages due to the chip shortage?
Now I read here some are saying no Advanced Safety Package, or Level one with no blindspot warning, only one key fob.
Look Ram I don't NEED a truck right now. Don't offer something then take it away. That sounds like bait and switch. I might as well wait, maybe till the 2022s come out, IF they come out, or go over to the Ford dealer.
Just get a Limited. Adv Safety Group was available on my Limited order today, though I didn't select it. Still had blind spot shown as included on a Limited. I would have ordered a Laramie but blind spot was a must have.

Users who are viewing this thread