5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

Ddb

Reaction score
I just got approval from FCA Ram to get finder flairs repainted on warranty. Took it to dealer last week with 2000 miles, bottom 1/3 of rear flairs had paint chipped off.

swarggs

Reaction score
I just got approval from FCA Ram to get finder flairs repainted on warranty. Took it to dealer last week with 2000 miles, bottom 1/3 of rear flairs had paint chipped off.
Good news, glad it's being resolved for some!

By some wild coincidence I was able to purchase a set of billet silver OEM takeoffs locally on Facebook Marketplace. I'll be wrapping them before I swap mine out. Hopefully I'll no longer have any issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

revolutionz

Reaction score

That's awesome. Wish my dealership would have made more of an attempt than "Well they usually won't cover that kind of stuff"

mr.met

Reaction score
I have a stock setup - 22” wheels and factory tires...just checked my fender flares in the same spot and after 12,000 miles there are no chips right thru the paint but they are definitely “sandblasted”...dull and not as smooth as the rest of the fender flares. Maybe I should see if these areas can be polished and get them filmed before it gets too bad.

gmab

Reaction score
Based on this thread I had PPF applied to the fender flares when I did the front of the truck. Also installed splash guards.

ant0064

Reaction score
Never had mud flaps on my 14 Ram...also had mud tires and wheels that were offset an inch outside the fender. Not a single paint chip anywhere on the truck and I was off road multiple times. Already starting to notice paint chips on my new 19 including as high as the painted mirrors. This paint is terrible. Other than that, love the truck...but I imagine after one winter I'll need most of the truck re-painted or it'll look like swiss cheese. That's what 65k gets you these days.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed pitting on my rear fender flares last night when hand washing. I have mudflaps as well. I've been on gravel about three times at 10 mph for a mile or so. Pretty crazy to have this at 6K miles. I guess I'll try to put on PPF before it gets worse.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Ive got a Rebel which has the black plastic flares, so not painted. Also have GoRhino raptor steps which prevents a lot of sand, salt and mud spray that arches up the sides. I'm sure Im going to rattle can the mounts on those steps. Going to have the rocker panels LineX'd up to that indentation line along the length of the bottom part of the truck jus like the 2 tone paint job.

Flatop

Reaction score
Yup mine look the same after 2,000 miles.

Two trips to the ski area did it. I regret not adding paint protection right after I bought the truck, too late now...

I’m considering LineX-ing the flares and lower rocker panels.

After seeing these posts, I contacted LineX to get a price on a truck I ordered couple weeks ago...was quoted $750 per side with color matched. Yikes

Cornsilky

Reaction score
I'm getting the full front of the truck PPF'd later this week. After reading this thread, I'm considering asking them to do the the rear too. Is it just the fender flare that people are having issues with? Just the leading edge or the whole thing? What about the front portion of the rear quarter panel?

bonebro

Reaction score
I'm getting the full front of the truck PPF'd later this week. After reading this thread, I'm considering asking them to do the the rear too. Is it just the fender flare that people are having issues with? Just the leading edge or the whole thing? What about the front portion of the rear quarter panel?
Leading edge of rear flare and quarter panel in front of the leading edge.

FlyMike

Reaction score
I just bought my Limited 3 days ago and went out to check my rear fenders after reading through this thread. I noticed that the bottom front section of the rear fenders look like they have some sort of film/sticker on them. (You can see the horizontal lines where it start/stops)
Looking through the photos on this thread I didn't see any one else's fenders have this. It's a May '19 build. Do you think it's for protection from this?

revolutionz

Reaction score
I just bought my Limited 3 days ago and went out to check my rear fenders after reading through this thread. I noticed that the bottom front section of the rear fenders look like they have some sort of film/sticker on them. (You can see the horizontal lines where it start/stops)
Looking through the photos on this thread I didn't see any one else's fenders have this. It's a May '19 build. Do you think it's for protection from this?

Yep, but it doesn't go nearly high up enough IMO. I wonder if the dealer did that or if FCA started to do that from the factory....

FlyMike

Reaction score
Yep, but it doesn't go nearly high up enough IMO. I wonder if the dealer did that or if FCA started to do that from the factory....
I thought it should go up higher too. My truck didn't sit on the dealer lot for long, maybe 2 weeks, I think it came from the factory like that.

MarvinK

Reaction score
Any recommendations on how to get these covered under warranty? My dealer basically told me it was a waste of time to even try. Mine are chipped like crazy. Looked at new trucks on the lot and they have the protector strip.

Cptcoolie

Reaction score
I thought it should go up higher too. My truck didn't sit on the dealer lot for long, maybe 2 weeks, I think it came from the factory like that.
Mine was built May 2019 and I bought it before it hit the lot...dealer didn't get a chance to put his name on the back yet...lol. Anyway, mine has that little strip as well. Now I just have to make sure I aim all the rocks at that strip lol.

MarvinK

Reaction score
I have the WeatherTech flaps and the retracting running boards. I don't think flaps are the issue, it's the protection of the fixed running boards.

I think one of the issues that makes it bad on the 2019 is the body is a bit curvier behind the door.

572efc8efdb90d01e45ee4081a159b0c.jpg

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was built May 2019 and I bought it before it hit the lot...dealer didn't get a chance to put his name on the back yet...lol. Anyway, mine has that little strip as well. Now I just have to make sure I aim all the rocks at that strip lol.

Go to eBay and buy some of the clear 3m film. Cut it to fit that section. My paint is flawless there thanks to that, as is my front end (had the front end professionally installed).

Users who are viewing this thread