5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light

Benji80

Reaction score
Anyone have a check engine light that's come on with error code U11E9? I have an appointment to take it back to the dealership "again".. Just trying to figure out what I'm in store for

Jennitran

Reaction score
Anyone have a check engine light that's come on with error code U11E9? I have an appointment to take it back to the dealership "again".. Just trying to figure out what I'm in store for. Visit this link to review why check engine light on but no codes in case you concern.
It could be broken wire to a faulty sensor. Take a look of it

Gs72174

Reaction score
Anyone have a check engine light that's come on with error code U11E9? I have an appointment to take it back to the dealership "again".. Just trying to figure out what I'm in store for
Did you ever get this resolved? I just picked up a used 2019 ram and this same code popped up as I started the truck at the dealer to leave the lot. They said it was because they just replace the active grill shutters and forgot to flash the computer and they cleared the code and said it should be good. I drove home which was 6 hours away with no issues. When I started the truck the next morning, the light was back on. I literally just picked the truck up this past Saturday from Kentucky. I’m pretty frustrated that it’s Monday and the dealership still hasn’t responded to my emails about this and other issues I have.
Sorry for the rambling. So back to my original question, were you able to finally resolve this issue?

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? I just picked up a used 2019 ram and this same code popped up as I started the truck at the dealer to leave the lot. They said it was because they just replace the active grill shutters and forgot to flash the computer and they cleared the code and said it should be good. I drove home which was 6 hours away with no issues. When I started the truck the next morning, the light was back on. I literally just picked the truck up this past Saturday from Kentucky. I’m pretty frustrated that it’s Monday and the dealership still hasn’t responded to my emails about this and other issues I have.
Sorry for the rambling. So back to my original question, were you able to finally resolve this issue?

I cant believe they wont respond to you after you traveled that far I had a similar experience with my Charger as well. I fu****g hate all dealerships. I hope they take care of you!

sbearden10

Reaction score
I cant believe they wont respond to you after you traveled that far I had a similar experience with my Charger as well. I fu****g hate all dealerships. I hope they take care of you!
How do you flash the computer? Can the customer do this if they have a scanner?

sbearden10

Reaction score
How do they flash the computer can the customer do this if they have a scanner? Sorry I posted this 2 times guys. Didn't mean to

Gs72174

Reaction score
How do they flash the computer can the customer do this if they have a scanner? Sorry I posted this 2 times guys. Didn't mean to
I believe you can. I also went to advance auto and the guy there flashed the codes but with this issue, the light came back on.

VinceM

Reaction score
Gs72174, any chance you ended up finding your problem? my 2016 ram 1500 seems to have the same problem. Shutter assembly was just replaced, still getting the U11E9 code within two starts up from clearing the code. Interesting to me that it lasts for one start up, since my understanding is that the system should check the shutters on every start up. Thanks!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gs72174, any chance you ended up finding your problem? my 2016 ram 1500 seems to have the same problem. Shutter assembly was just replaced, still getting the U11E9 code within two starts up from clearing the code. Interesting to me that it lasts for one start up, since my understanding is that the system should check the shutters on every start up. Thanks!

Hi @VinceM - We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this further with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Trip9155

Reaction score
We’re you able to fix this issue I’m having the same problem

Benji80

Reaction score
It was the active grill shutters. The light actually turned off on its own but I still brought it in to the dealership. They told me there was nothing wrong with it and there could have been a leaf or something stuck in there . Hasn't turned on again

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We’re you able to fix this issue I’m having the same problem

Hi @Trip9155 - If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message so that we can provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

It was the active grill shutters. The light actually turned off on its own but I still brought it in to the dealership. They told me there was nothing wrong with it and there could have been a leaf or something stuck in there . Hasn't turned on again

Hi @Benji80 - Please let us know if you experience this concern again so we can have it documented and work with you to get it corrected!

Mark
RamCares

Texas_Hemi19

Reaction score
I had the same problem. It’s come on and off a few times I’m thinking of replacing the whole AGS assembly

Greg10yes

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, CEL is on, the AGS doesn't run the self test anymore and the louvers always stay open. Is there a way to test the actuator to see if it is the AGS or the control module? I saw on here it takes 1.5 hours to remove the grill, $350 to replace the AGS, 1.5 hours to put back together. Would really be annoyed if I replace it and the problem is elsewhere. I have 50k miles so no warranty plus the local dealer is very untrustworthy anyway and they charge $175 for a diagnostic charge before starting work.

DC_Omaha

Reaction score
I've had the CEL on various times, and been to the dealer various times for issues related to the AGS. First it was a plug identified by a technical bulletin to corrode when exposed to moisture from the overflow tank, a second time for a fuse, a third time for the plug again, a fourth time to replace the AGS, and now the check engine light is on again. Apparently, since I'm over 36k miles now, the issue is "deeper" and not covered under warranty. $1,600.
Any way to disable to without negatively affecting performance? It's a lease, so I'm disappointed to spend that kind of money for an issue that seems to repeat itself.

Greg10yes

Reaction score
I broke down and bought a new AGS, nothing changed. With the old one and the new one, if I physically move the shutters while the connector is disconnected when you plug the connector in (even with the truck turned off) the shutter actuator opens the shutter. But when you start the truck the shutters don’t do their self test and the check engine light is still on after driving the car for numerous days. This could be coincidence, but about the time this all started I installed the factory trailer brake controller and had a dealer flash the computer so the trailer brakes worked, could these two things be tied together?

Ant

Reaction score
I broke down and bought a new AGS, nothing changed. With the old one and the new one, if I physically move the shutters while the connector is disconnected when you plug the connector in (even with the truck turned off) the shutter actuator opens the shutter. But when you start the truck the shutters don’t do their self test and the check engine light is still on after driving the car for numerous days. This could be coincidence, but about the time this all started I installed the factory trailer brake controller and had a dealer flash the computer so the trailer brakes worked, could these two things be tied together?
I am having the same issue with my ram truck right now. What is the problem or how do I resolve this to get the engine light to go away as it is a huge nuisance for me

Greg10yes

Reaction score
My CEL is still on after 3 months and replacing the AGS assembly, will have to take it to the dealer and hope they don’t give me a prostate exam. Not sure why the AGS throws an invalid computer code (I had a dealer tell me that U11E9 is not a valid code) and turns on the check engine light which means remote start doesn’t work etc.

Users who are viewing this thread