5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap intake upgrade o my Limited really made a difference.

Agitated

Reaction score
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. Now that pantyhose has been brought in as a serious mod that can be felt seat of the pants, this is a bonafide party.

Welfare357

Reaction score
I think the addition of the oil catch can hp gains are next. Stay tuned. Can we have drinks with that popcorn next time? I’m a little dried out.

Browny10783

Reaction score
Well. I didn’t think anything could beat my morning read on the can, but this evenings read on the can has lived up to this morning.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add a bottle of astrolube to top off an oil change? Now that will really get the engine running extra smooth.

Mason1217

Reaction score
Thank you all! Just read through all of this, I needed a good laugh, you all are so much fun and very entertaining. All I know is I want popcorn all of a sudden:unsure:. I’m out!:ROFLMAO:
You’re welcome for the popcorn craving lol

Mason1217

Reaction score
I’m going to inquire about a more aerodynamic wrap for my truck tomorrow. My friend wrapped his Camaro with a low drag coefficient wrap and dropped 1.3 seconds off his 0 to 60 times. Factory paint has a very high drag coefficient. Don’t knock it til you try it.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to inquire about a more aerodynamic wrap for my truck tomorrow. My friend wrapped his Camaro with a low drag coefficient wrap and dropped 1.3 seconds off his 0 to 60 times. Factory paint has a very high drag coefficient. Don’t knock it til you try it.
Wipe down the bumper with WD-40. Helps the vehicle slip through the air. Much cheaper...and it smells great too.

Welfare357

Reaction score
Yea that WD-40 works. When your truck gets dirty just spray it off with a water hose. Water just beads off. Better than wax.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
No Joke in high school I had a friend that disconnected the intake on his 93 Integra and put a pair of his moms pantyhose at the end of it and holy **** that thing was crazy fast and had a super loud intake growl after. It was at that point I realized that less restriction to the airflow the better the car could suck in air and perform better. Now i don't recommend pantyhose since that doesn't catch anything, But finding the balance between filtering enough and free flowing air is the key to having it perform better, not saying its the best for your engine but that's the cost of having some fun.
I miss my 93 integra. My favorite car I owned to this day.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh my it worked! I put on my wife’s pantyhose and I was able to run to the kitchen and grab the popcorn bowl 1.2 seconds faster than withouto_O. Darn, forgot to grab a drink:eek:. I’m out, again;)

Last edited:

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Wipe down the bumper with WD-40. Helps the vehicle slip through the air. Much cheaper...and it smells great too.

Not to mention, WD-40 is a great fish attractant as well! So if you love fish, just back your rig into the lake bumper deep at your favorite honey hole, cast a line and start haulin em in!

1544787215989.png

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea K&n and others are completely out of their minds for doing anything to improve the factory setup right? I take it you dont have any experience first hand to experience a difference for yourself.

There are obviously other people who have actually used a less restrictive filter and had better results, why do people upgrade exhausts to a less restrictive setup if the R&D teams from factory have it perfect?
Read the reviews from people who have actually done it, based on your skepticism and close minded approach I would venture to say you've never done anything to make millions of dollars... and yes I have.

Bro, (Bro-ette? I don't wanna assume),
I've done it too. I also understand the things that I do need to be quantified with data, because my perception may not match reality. "Less restrictive" air filters and intakes ASSUME the solution to a "problem" is to free up airflow. It may or may not be. That's where the data comes in... I'll explain a bit more below. I like cars, bikes, atv's, etc, and I've spent a good amount of time learning about what make's em tick (or not tick if its a bad kind of tick....)

No Joke in high school I had a friend that disconnected the intake on his 93 Integra and put a pair of his moms pantyhose at the end of it and holy **** that thing was crazy fast and had a super loud intake growl after. It was at that point I realized that less restriction to the airflow the better the car could suck in air and perform better. Now i don't recommend pantyhose since that doesn't catch anything, But finding the balance between filtering enough and free flowing air is the key to having it perform better, not saying its the best for your engine but that's the cost of having some fun.

The louder you make something, the higher your perception of speed is. More than likely, with NO intake on and a set of pantyhose around the throttle body, that engine made LESS horsepower, not more. It was louder, probably sounded cool af, but I would wager MAJOR money on it not being faster than before.

I had an '86 bronco that I put a new motor in and added long tube headers. It sounded like a freaking NASCAR truck ripping up and down the road with no mufflers and just open headers on it. I LOVED that truck. I'd rip it up and down the road with it echoing off the mountains in our town, spitting during throttle overrun on downshifts, the whole nine. I still smile when I think about it. It was just a straight up HOOT. You know what made it even better to drive? A full exhaust that was balanced so it got back some low end torque and stopped sucking fuel even worse than a 351W Bronco is already known to do, lol. Yeah, it was quiet-er, but it was also more fun to be able to spin the rear tires WITH the exhaust on, instead of not being able to without.

More air in means more air needs to come out. Even when you allow more air out you need to balance the system. Can the valvetrain even let in the extra airflow you're providing? Can it push it out without becoming another bottleneck? Is the exhaust still scavenging properly with the "performance intake", 3" catback, or long tubes you slapped on? There are many things to consider.

The volume of each cylinder is fixed, it can only hold so much. And I highly doubt that the Engineers forgot to double check to make sure every intake stroke was filling each cylinder completely.

Also, "peak" power numbers mean nothing if your K&N (insert brand of choice) filter adds 10hp at 6000rpm but robs you of 25 hp and 30 lbs feet at 1500-2500 rpm where its most needed.

Buy whatever you want, and be happy with it, that's all cool. But the claims you're putting out just don't add up in the simple terms you're specifying for them. The thing I'm trying to avoid is the spread of misinformation about a product or mindset that will encourage others to waste money thinking they'll get results that just won't show up.

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
This kind of stuff is easy to quell.

A simple OBd reader can read real time air flow, pressures, intake air temps, ambient air temps, INTAKE RATES, and even caclulate the HP and Torque, and Boost, an engines churning out, all in real time. Loads of data.

80 bucks, and u have a reader and an app. Bluetooth.

Stick a stock filter in. Screenshot it. Do a K&N in there, screenshot it.

The HEMI ITSELF will tell you what it is doing to it. In a matter of seconds.

Just get the simple tool that hears what the Hemi is telling u.

OBDLINK MX Bluetooth

I had it for quite some time. Useful. amd fun.

Attachments

• 41SkrnSZ7OL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41SkrnSZ7OL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 14

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This kind of stuff is easy to quell.

A simple OBd reader can read real time air flow, pressures, intake air temps, ambient air temps, INTAKE RATES, and even caclulate the HP and Torque, and Boost, an engines churning out, all in real time. Loads of data.

80 bucks, and u have a reader and an app. Bluetooth.

Stick a stock filter in. Screenshot it. Do a K&N in there, screenshot it.

The HEMI ITSELF will tell you what it is doing to it. In a matter of seconds.

Just get the simple tool that hears what the Hemi is telling u.

OBDLINK MX Bluetooth

I had it for quite some time. Useful. amd fun.

I think the only useful info we'd get from it maybe would be the MAF/MAP readings. Even then, their accuracy would be questionable.

I'm curious, how does it calculate the torque a motor is putting out? The only way I could imagine is if you input your gear ratios, tire size, and weight and then did a 0-60 run maybe it would be able to do the math?

And once again, even realtime data is pretty questionable without verification of other controls in the experiment. The best we could do is a comparison between the two filters and their recorded OBDII data, but that would not be necessarily translated into "better" performance in any metric.

Users who are viewing this thread