5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap intake upgrade o my Limited really made a difference.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I’m waiting patiently till the mopar Ram intake is available but I found a cheap performance filter that really works and I noticed a few benefits from. I’ve had a few K&n filters, TRD, and other aftermarket CAI’s and this “cheap” one seems just as good in materials and build quality. It was a quick 5min process and I could feel the difference immediately. One main thing I noticed that my the rpms on the truck at idle and normal putting around dropped, and also the eco light came on more often. I also could feel less resistance in the pedal and some increased pickup when I put my foot Down. For the price you cannot go wrong until a better system is available.
DF1890CB-3FC9-4888-B1D8-1AE09423AF99.png B4E05C45-A3FB-4952-8C87-2EC97FE829D7.jpeg 3418CD7B-382B-4FF8-A680-8EC901FAB578.jpeg

alow

Reaction score
Are you tracking your fuel? Might be interesting to see if there's an improvement.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oiled filter? No thank you. Pretty sure you're experiencing placebo effect. That factory filter is huge compared to other vehicles in FCA's lineup with the same engine... should not be any airflow issues whatsoever for with our 5.7 as long as the factory filter isn't beyond its life cycle.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Oiled filter? No thank you. Pretty sure you're experiencing placebo effect. That factory filter is huge compared to other vehicles in FCA's lineup with the same engine... should not be any airflow issues whatsoever for with our 5.7 as long as the factory filter isn't beyond its life cycle.
I don’t think so, I visually noticed my rpms going from right at 2,000rpms most of the time when I’m barely on it to around 1500 rpms, this is something I always felt like the rpms were a little high when idling or crusing at super chill speeds and I figured it was prob from the etorque or the 3.92gearing so I just took it as the normal until I installed this and it was immediately lower and the pedal response was better. I don’t think there was a placebo effect involved in that observation and I have had k&n filter replacements like this and full CAI systems which I have cleaned and lightly oiled for years and never had an issue. Have you ever used one?

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Are you tracking your fuel? Might be interesting to see if there's an improvement.
I will be tracking it and will update my findings, but I also am giving it a little more of a pedal push now since it is a little more responsive, making it more fun to drive while maybe balancing out any MPG savings

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I will be tracking it and will update my findings, but I also am giving it a little more of a pedal push now since it is a little more responsive, making it more fun to drive while maybe balancing out any MPG savings
Any updates on this? I just got my truck a few days ago. I'm putting one of these guys in now. I won't have much of a benchmark. I imagine you kept this part in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181005-175653.png
    Screenshot_20181005-175653.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 231

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I just got my truck a few days ago. I'm putting one of these guys in now. I won't have much of a benchmark. I imagine you kept this part in?
yes absolutely it made a big difference in the way it drives and for such a small price I think everyone should do it right away!

Dontfront82

Reaction score
K&n is far superior in quality, and so is oem filter.

I had a k&n filter c.a.i for 4 years+ in my hemi ram 1500. Cleaned it as needed and reoiled ect. Zero issues. Still rigid new looking.

I also installed a spectre c.a.i on my hemi challenger, weekend car. Hardly drove it.
I have the spectre filter out for cleaning after 1.5 years, cleaned it re installed it that day. Next few days I pop the hood and the filter is off the intake laying down broken. The rubber had become so fragile it tore all around the intake pipe and was use less now. Brittle and cheap plastic/rubber used. For short term it's sufficient. But if u want quality spectre isn't it.

While running spectre c.a.i in my chally had no issues but didn't last at all. Image someone that doesn't check under the hood running one of these. And just falling off on u

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you want to take that out of the filter housing lid.

Good little right up SMS. 26$ and shipped a great bang for buck buy. Even if all you get is mean intake growl. Who doesn’t like that.

S

Smashy71

I don’t think so, I visually noticed my rpms going from right at 2,000rpms most of the time when I’m barely on it to around 1500 rpms, this is something I always felt like the rpms were a little high when idling or crusing at super chill speeds and I figured it was prob from the etorque or the 3.92gearing so I just took it as the normal until I installed this and it was immediately lower and the pedal response was better. I don’t think there was a placebo effect involved in that observation and I have had k&n filter replacements like this and full CAI systems which I have cleaned and lightly oiled for years and never had an issue. Have you ever used one?
How is that possible? Your computer controls the rpms not your filter. Idle rpms will adjust to stock range no matter what intake you have installed.

Agitated

Reaction score
None of what was written is possible with a simple air filter change, not to mention spectre is a really crappy brand and he’s undoubtedly reduced actual filtering efficiency. I was glad to see no one responded and the thread die, unfortunately only to be recently resurrected again. This post needs to get buried deep never to be seen again.

Jackham

Reaction score
I don't want to be a Debby Downer but these days with the engineering these rigs come with aftermarket upgrades are not advised and good luck on your warranty when serendipity happens. Buy it, love it. Your truck is so much faster smoother efficient that trucks even ten years ago it just doesn't make sense. (but I know you will try anyway:)

SMS Limited

Reaction score
None of what was written is possible with a simple air filter change, not to mention spectre is a really crappy brand and he’s undoubtedly reduced actual filtering efficiency. I was glad to see no one responded and the thread die, unfortunately only to be recently resurrected again. This post needs to get buried deep never to be seen again.
yea actually it is. maybe you should try it before doubting everything. noticing rpm's drop is something my 4 year old could do, you just see the actual needle move from where it was usually at around 2000 rpm's to around 1500 rpm's, and you can notice less resistance on the pedal. I know performance, look at the other cars in my collection and you can see that I'm not a dummy.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
How is that possible? Your computer controls the rpms not your filter. Idle rpms will adjust to stock range no matter what intake you have installed.
not sure how but it seems like it has to work less or easier to pull air through? either way for sure 100% the rpm's have sat lower since i got the simple air filter and that was even before i did the exhaust.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I don't want to be a Debby Downer but these days with the engineering these rigs come with aftermarket upgrades are not advised and good luck on your warranty when serendipity happens. Buy it, love it. Your truck is so much faster smoother efficient that trucks even ten years ago it just doesn't make sense. (but I know you will try anyway:)
i have had aftermarket intakes, or filters on cars for all my vehicles, never had an issue, always had a benefit. i'm not worried about any warranty claims or any issue. The dealer can say whatever they want but if they cannot prove the aftermarket intake or any other upgrade caused the problem then they have no let to stand on. Besides that my wife is a Lawyer and I have no problem fighting them to get anything covered.

Lateralus

Reaction score
I also could feel less resistance in the pedal and some increased

SMH

The throttle is electronic, the resistance doesn't change...

I added a drop in Green Filter, and noticed little if any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread