5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap intake upgrade o my Limited really made a difference.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Yea sure let me see if I can find It first, but like I said before, now I have a full catback exhaust and I’m installing a Pulsar tuner tomorrow, so not sure how it will change things since I first wrote it up, what could possibly be my motivation to over hype this filter? It’s a basic $26 part that I have no affiliation with and wasn’t expecting much from just read the positive review and ordered it, then I was pleasantly surprised and noted what changes I experienced immediately, it’s not that complicated.

Spe1996

Reaction score
Here is a video of a comparison of air filters, stock, cheap aftermarket, good aftermarket and a K&N. Watch it of you like but if you want a summary the test Subaru gained about 3% increase in torque and HP.

Will you notice a 3% increase in power? That's for the owner to decide.

They even talked about the carbon filter that's in the lid of most new cars to keep them CARB compliant.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I just got my truck a few days ago. I'm putting one of these guys in now. I won't have much of a benchmark. I imagine you kept this part in?
Can you provide any feedback on how it felt to you after you actually installed one? Did you notice any difference in idling rps or in the pedal response?

surfingcrna

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see the measurement of airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow carrying coconuts.

I don't see what's wrong with the OP sharing an experience. If someone replicates it and it doesn't work or works that's worth a post. All the people saying it can't happen weren't there and need to chill. Suggesting alternatives is reasonable but to say it didn't happen is silly since it obviously did for him. Go prove your self importance elsewhere. Like airspeed velocities.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a video of a comparison of air filters, stock, cheap aftermarket, good aftermarket and a K&N. Watch it of you like but if you want a summary the test Subaru gained about 3% increase in torque and HP.

Will you notice a 3% increase in power? That's for the owner to decide.

They even talked about the carbon filter that's in the lid of most new cars to keep them CARB compliant.

This is a great Youtube channel... been watching him for a bit...

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think claiming something DID happen without even the suggestion of a solid argument is worse than all of us "non-believers" asking questions and being skeptical with the "I did it, believe me" answer about something that is both illogical and has been disproven multiple times elsewhere. Just the suggestion that a $26 air filter can improve on millions if not billions of R&D dollars that FCA spent on development of its powertrains is hilarious at best. And if you think for one second that the entire engineering team at FCA or any other company stupidly forgot to check if the paper air filter was the bottleneck in the entire combustion process of a 400+ hp V8 that gets over 20 mpg, while meeting the strictest emissions guidelines on the planet, and YOU figured out how to unlock any number of horsepower, fuel economy, or driveability solutions and they didn't, then, well, you should be selling this technology to them for millions and millions on the dollar.

(I mean "you" ambiguously here, not calling anyone specific out.)

Last edited:

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I think claiming something DID happen without even the suggestion of a solid argument is worse than all of us "non-believers" asking questions and being skeptical with the "I did it, believe me" answer about something that is both illogical and has been disproven multiple times elsewhere. Just the suggestion that a $26 air filter can improve on millions if not billions of R&D dollars that FCA spent on development of its powertrains is hilarious at best. And if you think for one second that the entire engineering team at FCA or any other company stupidly forgot to check if the paper air filter was the bottleneck in the entire combustion process of a 400+ hp V8 that gets over 20 mpg, while meeting the strictest emissions guidelines on the planet, and YOU figured out how to unlock any number of horsepower, fuel economy, or driveability solutions and they didn't, then, well, you should be selling this technology to them for millions and millions on the dollar.

(I mean "you" ambiguously here, not calling anyone specific out.)
Yea K&n and others are completely out of their minds for doing anything to improve the factory setup right? I take it you dont have any experience first hand to experience a difference for yourself.

There are obviously other people who have actually used a less restrictive filter and had better results, why do people upgrade exhausts to a less restrictive setup if the R&D teams from factory have it perfect?
Read the reviews from people who have actually done it, based on your skepticism and close minded approach I would venture to say you've never done anything to make millions of dollars... and yes I have.

Attachments

• A7019F5D-6256-4321-B1E8-9461C6617AF5.png
    A7019F5D-6256-4321-B1E8-9461C6617AF5.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Mason1217

Reaction score
Damn it, I just came back to check on the tub of popcorn emoji. Still a no go. :mad:

SMS Limited

Reaction score
No Joke in high school I had a friend that disconnected the intake on his 93 Integra and put a pair of his moms pantyhose at the end of it and holy **** that thing was crazy fast and had a super loud intake growl after. It was at that point I realized that less restriction to the airflow the better the car could suck in air and perform better. Now i don't recommend pantyhose since that doesn't catch anything, But finding the balance between filtering enough and free flowing air is the key to having it perform better, not saying its the best for your engine but that's the cost of having some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread