5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channels skipping when changing with steering wheel control

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a video showing the issue. You can see that It doesn’t skip over the same channels each time.

Appreciate the video as this is certainly not good. Hope they get it fixed soon.

rharse

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Dodge Durango and it has the option to skip XM channels. I like this feature since it lets me skip channels that I never listen to (which is easily 70% of the XM channels). So, I can set up memory presets but also set up the system to skip certain channel. I am able to jump from preset to preset using the middle "bump" on the channel control (on the left side of the steering wheel) and move up to down to the channels I do listen to using the up/down buttons on the channel control. I haven't been able to figure out if that's possible on the 2020 RAM 1500 Limited with the 5th gen UConnect system. Anyone?

AUBeta974

Reaction score
This is happening on my 2021 Laramie (skipping over channels randomly). Have an appointment at the dealership on Monday 10/11 (have to leave it for 3 -4 days!!!) to check into this and another warranty complaint item.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my '19 Cherokee, when I use the Middle left rear radio preset button, sometimes it will go to a random SXM channel instead of the next preset. I have the 8.4 non nav radio.

AUBeta974

Reaction score
This is happening on my 2021 Laramie (skipping over channels randomly). Have an appointment at the dealership on Monday 10/11 (have to leave it for 3 -4 days!!!) to check into this and another warranty complaint item.
Dealership is now ordering a new steering wheel controls under warranty, but I wonder if it is a Sirius software issue

LV426

Reaction score
Dealership is now ordering a new steering wheel controls under warranty, but I wonder if it is a Sirius software issue
Wow, that sounds like way overkill... If multiple people have the same issue its probably software related or a setting being missed... These dealers are hilarious, "F-it, just change all the parts out..."

stormtrooper21

Reaction score
I just got my 2021 RAM back from the dealership for the second time with the same issue, first time they changed the rear steering wheel button and said that was the issue. this time they said it is happening because it is seeking the next available station with a good signal and that why its skipping. I asked why doesn't it skip when I use the screen or dial knob to change the station and they said the rear steering wheel button is for seeking so it finds the next station with a good signal. im not satisfied with that answer at all. anyone have any updates on there vehicles ?

noirot

Reaction score
I just got my 2021 RAM back from the dealership for the second time with the same issue, first time they changed the rear steering wheel button and said that was the issue. this time they said it is happening because it is seeking the next available station with a good signal and that why its skipping. I asked why doesn't it skip when I use the screen or dial knob to change the station and they said the rear steering wheel button is for seeking so it finds the next station with a good signal. im not satisfied with that answer at all. anyone have any updates on there vehicles ?
That is is hilarious! So, some of the satellite stations are not coming in as well and it skips them! Weird how it does it in the streaming stations too.

Same issue continues for me too. I've seen some jar updates, but no big updates. No better fo me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Straightener

Reaction score
Sent a message to @RamCares about this after my dealership claimed they could not reproduce the issue (funny, I was able to reproduce the channel skipping almost immediately - with my salesman sitting in the front seat). Apparently Ram DOESN'T care because I never received a reply from them. Only reason I haven't pushed harder on this is due to an emergency operation that has me down and out for a few weeks and not driving.

esta1701

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer for this same problem. They were able to replicate. Did several updates and "relearning". Eventually came back and said there was going to be a software update Q1 2022 (yeah, still waiting for my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee update from Q2 2021 to fix the favorite artist issue!) and could not replace any parts. They did notate on my invoice STAR CASE S2108000261. So maybe that can help anyone else out there with this issue.

Sparcky

Reaction score
UPDATED - Feb 2022. Skipping tracks (from media). doesn't seem to be a RAM issue. It's an iphone issue. Happened in my car, and my wifes SUV, so not isolated to RAM. Based on reading could be problems with syncing music to iphone. Other issues are truck related though. Skipping stations is another issue.

Just had this happen on my 2022 Limited, with my carplay media from my iphone. Definitely not a signal issue as it skipped songs on my playlist. Also now display is frozen, no touch buttons on the display work. Also had a couple times it went black. Something I also noticed, the dimmer dial did not work to dim the dash and display for a while, amd when it did start working again, it had a bit garbled screen when going from dim to full on.

just happened tonight, have had the truck for 2 days.

Last edited:

noirot

Reaction score
Not using it has worked to keep my blood pressure down. It’s so frustrating that I’ve had the truck for 7 months and it still isn’t fixed. I just got accustomed to ignoring the buttons are there.

@RamCares can we please get an update and fix?

LV426

Reaction score
@RamCares is a useless gimmick & the Uconnect 12 is an unsupported mess... It's unfortunate but the truth.

jbs45

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same whether I use the steering wheel controls or the buttons on the screen. How is there no fix for this yet?

Louhound88

Reaction score
I started having this issue a few months ago. I normally just use the middle "bean" button to flip through favorites but occasionally will use the up and down.

I think it's a button sticking issue, as if i press it with the same force i do any other button it may skip channels. Skip 1, skip 2, who knows. But if I really let up on pressure and try to press on the outer edge of the button I can consistently get to only take it as a single press and not skip channels.

I use the right hand volume buttons constantly and don't have any issues there. For whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread