5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Badge colors

Clarkbateman

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Ram 1500 Tradesman quad cab 4x4. It is Black in color. All
The Badges are chrome. I want to change them to a grey color if possible to closely match the aftermarket wheels I am putting on. So far I can only find decals to cover the one dimensional face of the badge , leaving the sides exposed in chrome color.
is there anyway / anyone that can make these / wrap them or whatever completely ?? Maybe a remade sticky tape overlay that covers the badges completely??

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered black ones to paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plasti-dip would work, but I'm not sure they offer the grey color you're looking for.
Or you can use Plastidip for a base coat because it will bond with the chrome. Regular paints will stick to the PD. Then you can apply whatever paint/color you want.

Yuk …. Plast-Dip sucks …. A $5 fix for a $5 truck …. Paint em right !!!
I would argue that Plastidip is better than a decal over the emblem. Maybe say "yuk a sticker, it's s truck not a lunch box" but I don't actually think that way. In fact, I think a decal or Plastidip can both look just fine if done properly.

I despise the elitist attitudes that think if something isn't expensive then it's automatically poor quality. Yes sometimes you get what you pay for, but it's not automatic. For example, Wolverine boots could be considered junk because they're $100 cheaper than Redwings, a Chrysler 300 deemed unreliable because it cost $5k less than an Audi A4, or your local College degree is called useless because it's not ivy league. That's all crap. Wolverine boots are comfortable and durable, the 300 holds up just as well as every other typical car on the market and I've met plenty of people with degrees from "no name" universities that have put them to better use than those who went to big name places. It's like trying to justify a Gucci belt for $300, when a $15 belt looks just as good and still holds your pants up.
If it looks good and does the job well then what does it matter how much it cost to do. I'm talking paint, and I'm not talking paint.

OP:
As for painting them "right." The easiest way would be to buy a set of black emblems from a night edition and apply paint. Another option is to take off the chrome emblems you already have and media blasting them so the paint will bond. Then there are also primers and adhesion promotors that are designed to work with chrome. Whatever method you use, just take your time with the prep work, that's where you make/break most paint jobs.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
11112844c255465d0670fed6cf6a32c1.jpg

OK … Here we go …. I have a pair of Wolverines, I’d never buy a $300 Gucci belt, I have no issues with vinyl graphics or “stickers” (Had a custom “sticker” on the hood of my 2012, and never had a single corner peel up), I drink Keystone Light cuz it’s Coors Light in a different can and $18 a 30-Pack, and Plasti-Dip still sucks …. Now call me an elitist … Lol … And yes, just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarkbateman

Reaction score
Or you can use Plastidip for a base coat because it will bond with the chrome. Regular paints will stick to the PD. Then you can apply whatever paint/color you want.

I would argue that Plastidip is better than a decal over the emblem. Maybe say "yuk a sticker, it's s truck not a lunch box" but I don't actually think that way. In fact, I think a decal or Plastidip can both look just fine if done properly.

I despise the elitist attitudes that think if something isn't expensive then it's automatically poor quality. Yes sometimes you get what you pay for, but it's not automatic. For example, Wolverine boots could be considered junk because they're $100 cheaper than Redwings, a Chrysler 300 deemed unreliable because it cost $5k less than an Audi A4, or your local College degree is called useless because it's not ivy league. That's all crap. Wolverine boots are comfortable and durable, the 300 holds up just as well as every other typical car on the market and I've met plenty of people with degrees from "no name" universities that have put them to better use than those who went to big name places. It's like trying to justify a Gucci belt for $300, when a $15 belt looks just as good and still holds your pants up.
If it looks good and does the job well then what does it matter how much it cost to do. I'm talking paint, and I'm not talking paint.

OP:
As for painting them "right." The easiest way would be to buy a set of black emblems from a night edition and apply paint. Another option is to take off the chrome emblems you already have and media blasting them so the paint will bond. Then there are also primers and adhesion promotors that are designed to work with chrome. Whatever method you use, just take your time with the prep work, that's where you make/break most paint jobs.
Thank you. I’m either gonna want them the grey color to match my rims or I will just keep
Them chrome. Or debadge it altogether.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now call me an elitist … Lol … And yes, just my opinion
Okay...you're an elitist. :p

Meh...I never said plasti-dip is good for everything. But for some things it works great. I have some that I used for the skid plate on the 2017 Rebel I used to own. I wasn't sure how it would look black so I painted it with PD so I could easily go back to the silver if I didn't like it. Two years later I decided to make it more permanent so I removed the PD and painted it with bed liner. I was amazed at how well the PD held up, especially considering the county uses gravel on the highways in winter. It can look ugly and ghetto, especially when used on wheels. But it does have its uses too.

Clarkbateman

Reaction score

OP:
Thanks. I would like to get them painted. I have only been to one paint shop so far , and they said the paint would not stay on the chrome badges , to have them wrapped. So I went to the guy to wrap them but the wrap is only 1 dimensional, and I want the entire badge to be colored

Users who are viewing this thread