5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CEO Teases Ram Revolution Concept, an Electric Ram 1500 Pickup, Will Debut Soon!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yeah but the issue with that is the additional range on EVs costs tens of thousands of dollars. On my '22 Ram the additional range was $495.

The Silverado EV boasts 400 miles of range, but only on the RST trim ($105,000) or as a super expensive option on some other future trims (Trail Boss, possibly WT). On the F-150 Lightning, going from 230 miles of range to 300 miles of range adds $21,000 to the XLT trim (!). It's absolutely insane.

Point being, a 500-mile Ram EV will be priced out of range (no pun intended) for 98% of the buyers in the market. You're talking a six-figure truck. At $50k more than I paid for my '22 Laramie I can buy 16,500 gallons of gasoline, enough to run my Laramie for 18 years.

There is no situation where these EV trucks make sense, but I digress..........
good job explaining why I dislike EV's

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That larger fuel tank on your Ram may have cost <$500, but it didn’t come with an insane performance increase. (It’s not just extra range you’re getting with some of these high-end EV models.)
For an extra 20k that range and extra performance it's not worth it.
Considering that in some areas (Los Angeles for example) the TRX and all its glory with that beast of an engine, with all the horse power and torque is like a caged animal, just for looks
now I don't disliked ev's and currently 50/50 on them. some days I think the future will be great and some days it seems like the dumbest thing
If I had to go ev now, taking the ford lighting as an example only the base model makes sense to me
I wouldn't take it on long trips and therefore paying for the extra range would be a waste for me, for people that tow its not there yet.
And to get additional package you have to go xlt and above which is taking you into 90k and above
maybe too soon for trucks to go ev, I would just wait it out. have them figure all the bugs out, improve range and infrastructure
heck we can't all go ev right off the bat. even if enough units were available no way in hell we have enough charging stations and power plants
so people should thank us for waiting otherwise rolling black outs might be an everyday thing

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For an extra 20k that range and extra performance it's not worth it.
Considering that in some areas (Los Angeles for example) the TRX and all its glory with that beast of an engine, with all the horse power and torque is like a caged animal, just for looks
now I don't disliked ev's and currently 50/50 on them. some days I think the future will be great and some days it seems like the dumbest thing
If I had to go ev now, taking the ford lighting as an example only the base model makes sense to me
I wouldn't take it on long trips and therefore paying for the extra range would be a waste for me, for people that tow its not there yet.
And to get additional package you have to go xlt and above which is taking you into 90k and above
maybe too soon for trucks to go ev, I would just wait it out. have them figure all the bugs out, improve range and infrastructure
heck we can't all go ev right off the bat. even if enough units were available no way in hell we have enough charging stations and power plants
so people should thank us for waiting otherwise rolling black outs might be an everyday thing
I was half joking, but I agree with you that it’s all about use case. Ford can’t build Lightnings fast enough for city fleets and a well-heeled segment of non-towing light truck owners that don’t need long range. But Ram is promising to deliver a product intended to serve a different use case (we’ll see). Regardless, it’s an interesting time to see a host of technologies competing and evolving quickly…that hasn’t always been the case!

jaydiggity

Reaction score
Wow. Another vehicle that has nothing to do with reliability, convenience, economics, climate change, or whatever the hell is going on.

If you buy this you're an idiot.

So long eco-diesel.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah but the issue with that is the additional range on EVs costs tens of thousands of dollars. On my '22 Ram the additional range was $495.

The Silverado EV boasts 400 miles of range, but only on the RST trim ($105,000) or as a super expensive option on some other future trims (Trail Boss, possibly WT). On the F-150 Lightning, going from 230 miles of range to 300 miles of range adds $21,000 to the XLT trim (!). It's absolutely insane.

Point being, a 500-mile Ram EV will be priced out of range (no pun intended) for 98% of the buyers in the market. You're talking a six-figure truck. At $50k more than I paid for my '22 Laramie I can buy 16,500 gallons of gasoline, enough to run my Laramie for 18 years.

There is no situation where these EV trucks make sense, but I digress..........

The additional range on my 3500 was $295. :sneaky:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
look what knightmare found out

yes he says ram trucks
Consumers have to reject this but I'd be willing to bet that they're gonna wrap it in a monthly subscription model that people will happily pay for. "Oh I can have an extra 200hp for $50/month? Sign me up!" Hell there's already people doing it here. Just look at our uconnect app. When I bought my truck I got a 1 yr trial to allow me to remote start from my phone. After that it was what $200-$300/yr?

I'm very excited about the future of EVs just because I am an electrician and see how powerful electric motors can be but I'm very conflicted when it comes to things like this. Makes me want to hang on to my truck forever but feel like eventually the price of gas is gonna make it a lose-lose scenario.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So will it make a lame vroom vroom sound like the electric Charger?🤔
Actually...yeah. sort of. Because it's required. My company designs such systems. this is not my compnay, but here's an explanation:
Are they talking solely preorders? It can’t be from deliveries.
Lightning, Hummer and Rivian are all delivering...and I'd say they're quite successful given the secondary market pricing for all of them, indicating obvious demand from the 'early adopters', which there always are, and which many of us on this forum are not.

IMHO - those that say EV's are stupid, or I'm an idiot for wanting an EV, etc, are the same people that would have said "I'll never buy one of those horseless carriages...my horse never breaks down and the infrastructure already exists (hayfields)."

The pricing of EV's will eventually drop to mass-market appeal...but we're not there yet. I'm still kinda holding out hope for Hydrogen...seems quite sensible in so many ways.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually...yeah. sort of. Because it's required. My company designs such systems. this is not my compnay, but here's an explanation:

Lightning, Hummer and Rivian are all delivering...and I'd say they're quite successful given the secondary market pricing for all of them, indicating obvious demand from the 'early adopters', which there always are, and which many of us on this forum are not.

IMHO - those that say EV's are stupid, or I'm an idiot for wanting an EV, etc, are the same people that would have said "I'll never buy one of those horseless carriages...my horse never breaks down and the infrastructure already exists (hayfields)."

The pricing of EV's will eventually drop to mass-market appeal...but we're not there yet. I'm still kinda holding out hope for Hydrogen...seems quite sensible in so many ways.
Man, a hydrogen-EV hybrid…that would be something.

Users who are viewing this thread