5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center console to bench seat swap Complete

Sfuentes2159

Reaction score
Are swaps relatively common? We want a bench but most likely will wind up with a center console given what's available.
I just bought a console.. supposed to be here June 1st. Once we get it installed I’ll be selling mine jump seat.

shancalla

Reaction score
I am in need of a jump seat for 2014 3500 big horn, willing to trade the console. Fourth baby coming and need another seat when hauling my fifth wheel.

Dmowdy23

Reaction score
Lots of good info. I also have a 4th child on they way and my be looking into trying to add the jump seat. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 limited. Do you guys think I would have any issue doing this swap?

Dmowdy23

Reaction score
Got a 4th kid on the way so need to be able to haul 6 including me and I really only cared for the rebel trim which got me stuck at 5 seats till I did the swap.
The 2019+ jump seat is so much nicer. Do you think the 2019+ would fit in a 2017 modle

Smith3lance

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 lone star jump seat available. Truck has 4,000k miles on it but I just bought a console to swap. $250 + shipping. I’m in Dallas Fort Worth.

cubsfaninsc

Reaction score
I'm looking at a truck with a console. Does anyone want to trade and send me a bench seat and the dash parts if I go through with it? I need the 6th seat. A private message works if you do.
I just bought a Laramie with a jump seat but want a console. I'm interested in trading the needed items for a swap.

farmes

Reaction score
Just a note for anyone interested. I have 2019 2500 with a console. I purchased a bench seat from a 2019 Laramie 1500. It is not compatible with the 2019 2500 - meaning the bolt holes for the 1500 bench seat are not present. It appears that I will need a 4th gen bench seat to install into the 2019 2500. This sort of makes sense in reading that the 2019 is a "4.5" gen, and all of the pictures of the interior on a 2019 2500 show the "old style" bench. The good news is, I have all of the dash parts I need, so I should be able to just find one of the readily available benches for a 4th gen and install. Also, the carpet on the 2500 is not cut out nearly as badly as the 1500, so I think I can do this without replacing the carpet. Planning to do this in the next few weeks and I'll post some pics. I didnt' see a similar thread in the 2500 board.

TexQuad

Reaction score
This is awesome info, just purchased a 2017 1500 crew cab with the 40/20/40. I was surprised to find that the jump seat didn't have a shoulder belt. Do any of you know if the jump seat from a 2019 with the shoulder belt would fit in a 2017? I'm assuming so, but don't want to pay if my assumption is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!

Dmowdy23

Reaction score
This is awesome info, just purchased a 2017 1500 crew cab with the 40/20/40. I was surprised to find that the jump seat didn't have a shoulder belt. Do any of you know if the jump seat from a 2019 with the shoulder belt would fit in a 2017? I'm assuming so, but don't want to pay if my assumption is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!
Have you tried it out found out of it was possible yet?

Dmowdy23

Reaction score
Just a note for anyone interested. I have 2019 2500 with a console. I purchased a bench seat from a 2019 Laramie 1500. It is not compatible with the 2019 2500 - meaning the bolt holes for the 1500 bench seat are not present. It appears that I will need a 4th gen bench seat to install into the 2019 2500. This sort of makes sense in reading that the 2019 is a "4.5" gen, and all of the pictures of the interior on a 2019 2500 show the "old style" bench. The good news is, I have all of the dash parts I need, so I should be able to just find one of the readily available benches for a 4th gen and install. Also, the carpet on the 2500 is not cut out nearly as badly as the 1500, so I think I can do this without replacing the carpet. Planning to do this in the next few weeks and I'll post some pics. I didnt' see a similar thread in the 2500 board.
Have you made the swap yet? Let us know

FubecaDez

Reaction score
Folks... Bought a '21 Laramie, black leather with center console - need to swap for a jumpseat if anyone's interested. Seattle, WA. Thanks!!!

maddoxvic

Reaction score
The next picture shows how the wiring of the back USB hub, you will need to disconnect each of these. The one with green wires if for your traditional outlet, while the other two are for the USBs.

View attachment 16430

Once everything is unplugged you will want to cut the original wiring harness at the location I showed in the previous picture, where the bundle of wires go to the lid USB. You will then discard the main part of the harness and the part that you see above. Then lay your new wiring harness in place of the old one:

View attachment 16431

Now we start the fun in the back portion of the new harness to get it connected properly. I have made two pictures which detail how/where you will need to cut and re-wire. I think they are pretty straight forward so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I know it doesnt seem right to cut into the brand new replacement wiring harness that you just bought but this is what it took to make everything work and power up properly.

View attachment 16434
View attachment 16436

Once I made all the connections I re-wrapped the wires using all the wrap that I could pull from the discarded wires, making it look like factory again:

View attachment 16437

Again the 3 plugs you see go to the back USB hub and power port, the next strand of wires above that are what go to the lid UBS and the main harness snakes back under the HVAC vents and back towards the front of the seat. Next, you need to make sure the USB plugs go back through the proper access point to reach to back USB area, so you need to pull that back through the access hole that they originally came through, as shown below:

View attachment 16438

Now the rest if easy and pretty much do everything in reverse order, reconnect the 3 plugs above to the USB/power connections, re-attach that back panel. I did not attach the wiring harness to any anchor points under the seat because I actually needed the entire length of the harness to reach the plugs that it connects to in the center console, so I could not afford any slack in the line. Once you plug your main harness to the dash wiring harness, you will have left over ports to connect to your new front USB ports and new power switch that you got as part of the kit to close out the big gaping hole that was left in your console after removing your dash.

View attachment 16439

Then make sure you new jump seat is bolted down properly. You will need two bolts in the front and 3 in the back, one on the driver side and two on the passenger side.

View attachment 16440

Once your seat is bolted down you can pat yourself on the back and enjoy the finished product (after you turned your car back on and made sure all our new power ports/USBs power up properly:

View attachment 16441

I have to say that I would not have tacked this project if there was not another forum member to swap parts with, it looked to be prohibitively expensive if trying to buy all the parts new/online. So be confident and swap out those parts in confidence because it can be done and everything can work 100% like its supposed to.
Hi I was wondering if you had any more pictures that shows the front floor of the finish work you did. (Different angles)
Was it difficult to put in the new carpet?

Users who are viewing this thread