5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center Console Squeak

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. Glad they’re giving this a higher priority. Seems trivial but it was just so annoying.
Yes, when I explained the squeaking over the phone to the service center they were laughing like I am out of my mind about making it an issue, so we will see what they do next week. The first question they asked was, well, does the lid still operate and open and close?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, when I explained the squeaking over the phone to the service center they were laughing like I am out of my mind about making it an issue, so we will see what they do next week. The first question they asked was, well, does the lid still operate and open and close?
I wouldn't deal with a service department that laughed at me. I would be getting the attention of the general manager before I left to take my business elsewhere.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What are you refereeing to about the ambient lighting around glovebox?
Ambient lighting LED strip along the top of the glovebox was out from the factory. They replaced the module and it's working correctly now.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Does anyone else have an annoying squeak when they rest their elbow on the rear portion of the center console? I have the Laramie full console.
Dealer replaced mine...i tried dry lube etc. Without effect

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I had a subtle squeak also coming from my console also. I actually fixed mine myself. Not a job for someone who is not mechanically inclined but not rocket science either. You have to remove rear console panel where the a/c vents are. There are some screws hidden under the wood trim around rear cup holder. Once that is off disconnect all the wires to USB and rear seat heat/cooling controls. About 8 screws hold the console lid bracket in place. Once lid is out you have to gently pry inner lid trim off to expose screws holding lid to bracket. Place black felt along backside where hinge rubs. In my pic attached it's the area where my torx driver is pointing to. I also added felt across area in pic where you see white dash lines just as a precaution. Reverse steps to reinstall and console lid should be squeak free..
This squeak has easily been the most annoying part of this truck. I don't trust my dealer with absolutely anything after the last time they had my truck. Thanks to your post I fixed the squeek with $2 of felt and 1/2 hour of my time. Lablvr2, you are my hero lol.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to lead the service manager by the hand like a child and have him touch it with his own hands, since the tech noted he couldn't find anything wrong during a road test. Part ordered.

Some times you sadly have to put in the extra effort to get results, when it should be the service people putting in the extra effort. Rather than just scanning barcodes and taking useless road tests.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This squeak has easily been the most annoying part of this truck. I don't trust my dealer with absolutely anything after the last time they had my truck. Thanks to your post I fixed the squeek with $2 of felt and 1/2 hour of my time. Lablvr2, you are my hero lol.
I kind of agree, but also rationalized that as much as these tucks cost, I'd let the dealer fix and if it wasn't done right, I would keep taking back it until resolved.
Fortunately, they acknowledged the issue and fixed it right the first time. It's a warranty issue. Let them deal with it.

Cheers,

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I kind of agree, but also rationalized that as much as these tucks cost, I'd let the dealer fix and if it wasn't done right, I would keep taking back it until resolved.
Fortunately, they acknowledged the issue and fixed it right the first time. It's a warranty issue. Let them deal with it.

Cheers,
No offense, but It's my truck and I have the right to fix it, if the felt pads didn't work then I would have had them replace it. I've been in my local dealers shop and have seen the types of people that work there..... I prefer to keep my vehicles far away. And honestly if it took 3 trips to the dealer to get it resolved (which is how long it took me to convince them to update my amplifier) I would've wasted a ridiculous amount of time when it only took me 30 minutes to do in my garage.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No offense, but It's my truck and I have the right to fix it, if the felt pads didn't work then I would have had them replace it. I've been in my local dealers shop and have seen the types of people that work there..... I prefer to keep my vehicles far away. And honestly if it took 3 trips to the dealer to get it resolved (which is how long it took me to convince them to update my amplifier) I would've wasted a ridiculous amount of time when it only took me 30 minutes to do in my garage.
Couldn't agree more... BUT... If we don't hold the dealerships accountable, what's the point of having a warranty? If I could get a 2019 Rebel, loaded for $25k... I'd be prepared to forego the warranty for the savings. But with one option of price with warranty included, I'm holding them responsible for every little squeak and scratch.

But I completely sympathize and can appreciate the sentiment of wanting quality work rather than quantity of visits.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more... BUT... If we don't hold the dealerships accountable, what's the point of having a warranty? If I could get a 2019 Rebel, loaded for $25k... I'd be prepared to forego the warranty for the savings. But with one option of price with warranty included, I'm holding them responsible for every little squeak and scratch.

But I completely sympathize and can appreciate the sentiment of wanting quality work rather than quantity of visits.
Very reasonable. The issues that are within my ability to fix for relatively cheap will always be attempted by me first.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
None taken. And I agree with you, but I also would like to think that they can do a simple lid replacement, which they did. Keep in mind that this was not super critical for me, so I waited until I had a list of things to get done, which they took care of, including glove box ambient light out, and brake squeal, among other things. Every issue was fixed the first time. This is the reason I have a new truck with bumper to bumper warranty.

Cheers,

Lablvr2

Reaction score

Happy to help!!

Users who are viewing this thread