5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center Console Slider Swap (Rebel to Limited)

VETTE277

Reaction score
So, I had been eyeballing this as a possible modification for quite some time and was unsure if it was possible. I posed the question but no one really had an answer, so I just up and did it.

I swapped the sliding center console cupholder/tray compartment in my Rebel for a Limited compartment with the covers. I think it looks alot more finished, initially I intended to wrap the wood grain finish with something similar to a pattern inside the Rebel, but after installing it I'm going to leave it be. I think it meshes very well with the 12A black package.

Anyway, for those interested - The existing cupholder is removed by popping the front two retaining pins out from underneath the compartment. This is by far the hardest part. I used my phone reserve camera, light, and a set of needle nose pliers to push up (towards the roof) from underneath on the front two white retaining clips. From there I was able to grab the top portion of the tray and pull it up and out. From there its super easy, just unscrew the six screws and remove the bottom portion of the slider tray and pop in the new one.

Parts needed:

5YE132X7AG Access Cover $496.0
6LY66TX7AA Retainer-Floor Console $26.74

Overall, worth the mod I think. The replacement sliding compartment is crazy expensive in my opinion, worth 500 bucks ? That's up to you. I have my old one for sale if anyone is interested and needs a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_2855 2.jpg
    IMG_2855 2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,342
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 2,312
  • IMG_7928.JPG
    IMG_7928.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 2,286
  • IMG_6151.JPG
    IMG_6151.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 2,268
  • IMG_6761.JPG
    IMG_6761.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,239
  • IMG_6546.JPG
    IMG_6546.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 2,265

thrasherjosh

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ve been wanting to do this since I got my Laramie but no one had answers on how to!! This helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020GCM

Reaction score
Great info, thanks! So is the bottom portion of the sliding section (pic 6761) replaced as well?

VETTE277

Reaction score
Great info, thanks! So is the bottom portion of the sliding section (pic 6761) replaced as well?

Yes, you will need to replace the bottom portion as well. The Rebel slider bottom portion isn't large enough to accomodate the deeper top Limited cupholder compartment. I made this mistake and had to wait on the extra part.

Something to note: You are going to lose about 3/4-1inch of storage space due to the extra vertical depth of the limited cupholder slider. Ultimately, not a huge deal to me since you only had about 3 inches anyway of vertical height not like you could fit much standing up underneath the slider anyway.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Yes, you will need to replace the bottom portion as well. The Rebel slider bottom portion isn't large enough to accomodate the deeper top Limited cupholder compartment. I made this mistake and had to wait on the extra part.

Something to note: You are going to lose about 3/4-1inch of storage space due to the extra vertical depth of the limited cupholder slider. Ultimately, not a huge deal to me since you only had about 3 inches anyway of vertical height not like you could fit much standing up underneath the slider anyway.
Nice! I’d love to do that to my Larimie.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice mod thx for sharing yes way expensive but I’ve wasted money on things I’ve wanted/ enjoyed many a time.

unc22x

Reaction score
So, I had been eyeballing this as a possible modification for quite some time and was unsure if it was possible. I posed the question but no one really had an answer, so I just up and did it.

I swapped the sliding center console cupholder/tray compartment in my Rebel for a Limited compartment with the covers. I think it looks alot more finished, initially I intended to wrap the wood grain finish with something similar to a pattern inside the Rebel, but after installing it I'm going to leave it be. I think it meshes very well with the 12A black package.

Anyway, for those interested - The existing cupholder is removed by popping the front two retaining pins out from underneath the compartment. This is by far the hardest part. I used my phone reserve camera, light, and a set of needle nose pliers to push up (towards the roof) from underneath on the front two white retaining clips. From there I was able to grab the top portion of the tray and pull it up and out. From there its super easy, just unscrew the six screws and remove the bottom portion of the slider tray and pop in the new one.

Parts needed:
I have to remove mine as well but I can’t slide mine back too far so I can’t see the white clips you are referring to. Do you have a photo of the one you took out? I need to see what the underside looks like. Are you talking about the front 2 (of the total 6) pieces that go down into the metal brackets?
5YE132X7AGAccess Cover$496.0
6LY66TX7AARetainer-Floor Console$26.74

Overall, worth the mod I think. The replacement sliding compartment is crazy expensive in my opinion, worth 500 bucks ? That's up to you. I have my old one for sale if anyone is interested and needs a new one.

unc22x

Reaction score
I can’t find the white clips you are talking about. Do you have a photo? Thanks!

unc22x

Reaction score
Basically, I can’t slide it back much (that’s a Different story) so i Am working blind here not knowing what is underneath. I tried to pull up and out but no luck. I might just pull up super hard and force it out soon here! Probably not a good idea...

VETTE277

Reaction score
The 5th picture shows the locations of the 6 white clips (which are obviously already removed, having topped off the top section to show you the remaining bottom section). It's super tight and requires you to bend from underneath and find them. Like I said, I used my iphone front facing camera and a flashlight to look from underneath to find those white clips. You'll need to use a screwdriver, or in my case needle pliers to to push up on them from underneath. I was only able to pop the front (closest to dashboard) clips up. From there I pulled the top off by force. Don't pull on the whole unit though, it's screwed into those metal brackets.

If you don't care about the old slider you're removing, you can probably destructively remove it. I'd probably use a box cutter along the top to split it open and then pull the top section from the bottom.

unc22x

Reaction score
got it! Thanks for the insight. I basically just needed to pull on the top part and not the entire sliding console. For reference, here is what I was working on. My Protect to Serve model came with a handgun lockbox. However, I wanted to change it from a key to combination lock. When I did, the combo lock was a bit too high for the slide to go back, thus my modification. Works great and my cut is hidden!

Attachments

• 8E2FB45D-A98B-48E5-9F3B-BBB7BD9993AC.jpeg
    8E2FB45D-A98B-48E5-9F3B-BBB7BD9993AC.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 788
  • 9FFA0FEE-88EF-46E6-A265-07B998E88788.jpeg
    9FFA0FEE-88EF-46E6-A265-07B998E88788.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 775
  • EE069FDF-2953-4B14-AD6D-1191C0ECA688.jpeg
    EE069FDF-2953-4B14-AD6D-1191C0ECA688.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 770

POWEWAL

Reaction score

Parts needed:

how do I get the cup holder section out with out tearing something up

unc22x

Reaction score
dont yank the whole thing out, it is actually to parts. Take off the top half then remove screws.

Dj0mladen

Reaction score
Hello, I am almost done with this mod and it will only cost me about $150 out of the door. I found on ebay a seller who is selling limited top covers. I bought one it seems like it came out of total limited ram. It looks brand new. There are still couple out there available gents if you want to grab it. There is one that goes with brown interior. Do not forget to buy this part as well as like the original OP said it is different as well. 6LY66TX7AA. As I am on this project know I am looking how to get a small led light in there and make small hole on each side of the cup holder and hot glue it to it so when the interior ambient lights are on those come on as well.

Boston

Reaction score
Wonder if buying complete used console is cheaper

1500DFW

Reaction score
The price has gone down on the cup holders to roughly $300 on most sites. A used console seems to run roughly a grand.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
got it! Thanks for the insight. I basically just needed to pull on the top part and not the entire sliding console. For reference, here is what I was working on. My Protect to Serve model came with a handgun lockbox. However, I wanted to change it from a key to combination lock. When I did, the combo lock was a bit too high for the slide to go back, thus my modification. Works great and my cut is hidden!
Where did you find the combination lock?

Reaction score

Parts needed:

Overall, worth the mod I think. The replacement sliding compartment is crazy expensive in my opinion, worth 500 bucks ? That's up to you. I have my old one for sale if anyone is interested and needs a

Parts needed:

Would your old console fit a 21 Ram Limited? If so, would it ride low or would I have more clearance on the bottom?

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying your old cup holder and bin. I'm going to do the same thing you did but in reverse going from Limited to Rebel or other trim that gets me that extra 3\4 inch of space down below. Is it still available?

Users who are viewing this thread