5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic converter stolen; Progressive only endorse aftermarket converter, any issue?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Folks! Update: Progressive finally agree to cover the OEM part. I won't need to tow my vehicle to dealership. Caliber Collision is going to order the OEM converter from RAM.

It is funny that I filed a BBB complaint around 2 pm and the Progressive called me around 3pm to inform they authorize the OEM. I am sure it has nothing to do with BBB complaint. Haha. I send an email to BBB to withdraw the request. It will be awkward that Body Shop receive the BBB complaint tomorrow.
Good news. Funny how businesses change their tune when people don’t take their crap. Most are accustomed to people just bending over and taking it so they’ll screw them any chance they get.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't care what he signed for paperwork, the courts will toss the "clause" right out as the shop assumes any and all responsibility for your car/truck while on his property. So says the court.
Is his yard fenced in? Does he keep your truck inside at night? No? Then he is not making a reasonable effort to protect your property while in his care.
Reasonable protection on his property, please explain that. If you drop your car off at a repair facility, with the other 10 cars on the lot. Let's say it's a 4 bay shop, you saying they need to bring every car inside?

This is why people and businesses have insurance.

Last edited:

Dunga

Reaction score
Folks! Update: Progressive finally agree to cover the OEM part. I won't need to tow my vehicle to dealership. Caliber Collision is going to order the OEM converter from RAM.

It is funny that I filed a BBB complaint around 2 pm and the Progressive called me around 3pm to inform they authorize the OEM. I am sure it has nothing to do with BBB complaint. Haha. I send an email to BBB to withdraw the request. It will be awkward that Body Shop receive the BBB complaint tomorrow.

I’m really happy this worked out. This just kills me that you had to spend all the time fighting for it. It doesn’t feel right. Like they charge the premium they want but when it’s time to pay up on their end they try and nickel and dime you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The real moral of this story: never take your vehicle to a shop that your insurance recommends. Always pick your own, That way, the shop is on your side, not the insurance's.
Depends on the shop, or your insurance carrier. USAA is great to work with, and their preferred shop near me is also a great body shop.

Kinalyx

Reaction score
Sounds real shady to me.😲

This is exactly why our rates are sky high.
Well, the reality is, most aftermarket parts are extremely sub par in comparison to OEM, OEM parts are what should be required to be used for any vehicle newer than 5 years old. Most insurance companies only deem OEM to be necessary on cars 1 year old or newer. I have seen aftermarket panels with defects from poor welding to warped panels to panels too thin for the location the vehicle, poor fit and finish is to be expected. Consider it the same as the difference between a top dollar name brand body kit, compared to a cheap knock off. If you are ok with your insurance putting a cheap Chinese panel or anything else for that matter on your $50k+ truck, be my guest. I'll be taking my truck to my shop that i know gets the job done right.

Also, if anyone thinks the few and far between of people like myself that find a way to make the insurance make the repair right, rather than use the cheap aftermarket parts, uve lost your mind. Insurance will screw you any way they can. I had a friend use the "snapshot" crap when it first came out. He got a new job that made him have to drive 15 miles further each way, got in an accident, and was denied due to not informing the insurance company that his daily driving distance changed.

The reality is, in most cases, you dont have to settle for what the insurance company wants to give you, because what they really want to give you is nothing, and they try to make you settle for the bare minimum.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The reality is, in most cases, you dont have to settle for what the insurance company wants to give you, because what they really want to give you is nothing, and they try to make you settle for the bare minimum.
While at the same time, most people only get the bare minimum insurance coverage. So they should be okay with the bare minimum repairs.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the reality is, most aftermarket parts are extremely sub par in comparison to OEM, OEM parts are what should be required to be used for any vehicle newer than 5 years old. Most insurance companies only deem OEM to be necessary on cars 1 year old or newer. I have seen aftermarket panels with defects from poor welding to warped panels to panels too thin for the location the vehicle, poor fit and finish is to be expected. Consider it the same as the difference between a top dollar name brand body kit, compared to a cheap knock off. If you are ok with your insurance putting a cheap Chinese panel or anything else for that matter on your $50k+ truck, be my guest. I'll be taking my truck to my shop that i know gets the job done right.

Also, if anyone thinks the few and far between of people like myself that find a way to make the insurance make the repair right, rather than use the cheap aftermarket parts, uve lost your mind. Insurance will screw you any way they can. I had a friend use the "snapshot" crap when it first came out. He got a new job that made him have to drive 15 miles further each way, got in an accident, and was denied due to not informing the insurance company that his daily driving distance changed.

And this is why most manufacturers have programs out to price match aftermarket parts for insurance claims.

ben b

Reaction score

I'm glad this worked out for you. Bummer that you needed to expend so much effort.

Regarding the OEM part... I pay $63/year extra in my policy (AAA Insurance) to explicitly require OEM parts. Not sure if other insurance companies offer a similar coverage option.

msy288

Reaction score
Update: Last Friday I towed my vehicle to the dealership instead of letting Caliber Collision - Rosenberg to touch my vehicle. The main reason that I decided to tow it to dealership, is that the local police officer called me on Thursday afternoon to inform me that there was just another break-in in that Caliber Collision and another 3 trucks were hit! Can you believe that? on Friday the store manager said they are going to install a camera as a solution, but do you seriously think a camera will deter the converter thieves? I don't think the store really care about it. I am pretty sure that this week or next the thieves will come back for the third time. But it is none of my business now.

The dealership ordered the new catalytic converter for me and it will take a week. The technician said that they usually have cat converters in stock but recently the theft is just so crazy that many RAM owners come to the dealer for cat converter installation so they have to make new orders.

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good decision, sounds like the shop could careless unless it’s their personal tools/equipment being stolen then I’d bet they’ll figure out a way to deter thief. Can’t say that I’m at all surprised just from the shop only offering to pay your deductible instead of stepping up and using their insurance to purchase new cat but that would of been a big red flag that they have a issue. Hopefully those other owners don’t let up easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

msy288

Reaction score
Jeez! I thought that everything will go smooth after I towed my truck to the dealership I go frequently when Insurance agree to endorse the OEM. I am just too naive. It sits at the dealership for two weeks now. At first, the service technician told me that the part will arrive in one week (which is today), and the insurance company send me an email notifying me the supplement estimate to cover the OEM. Then the service technician jumped in saying the money is not enough (Insurance pay 5k and the dealer want 6.8k). I told them please settle the payment issue ASAP bc I cannot wait that long. But guess what, both just don't talk to each other. The service tech from dealer just relax and expect me to do the talking, and the Insurance company adjuster don't reply emails at the meantime. I get very upset today and I think I am going to escalate the issue to the management level of both parties. Tech and adjuster, What you guys are doing here since a simple phone call can clarify the issue? I am just pissed!

Also Insurance does not give me a rental car and they said I need to pay if I want to rent. Luckily I keep my old car in garage, a Ford Fusion 2012 but with low milage. Driving it to work daily 30miles one trip for about 3 weeks now.

I never thought a simple paint repair would leads to so many drama, including cat converter theft, argument with the body shop, argument with the insurance company, Towing the vehicle to dealership, talking to different parties who don't care. What an expeirence!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeez! I thought that everything will go smooth after I towed my truck to the dealership I go frequently when Insurance agree to endorse the OEM. I am just too naive. It sits at the dealership for two weeks now. At first, the service technician told me that the part will arrive in one week (which is today), and the insurance company send me an email notifying me the supplement estimate to cover the OEM. Then the service technician jumped in saying the money is not enough (Insurance pay 5k and the dealer want 6.8k). I told them please settle the payment issue ASAP bc I cannot wait that long. But guess what, both just don't talk to each other. The service tech from dealer just relax and expect me to do the talking, and the Insurance company adjuster don't reply emails at the meantime. I get very upset today and I think I am going to escalate the issue to the management level of both parties. Tech and adjuster, What you guys are doing here since a simple phone call can clarify the issue? I am just pissed!

Also Insurance does not give me a rental car and they said I need to pay if I want to rent. Luckily I keep my old car in garage, a Ford Fusion 2012 but with low milage. Driving it to work daily 30miles one trip for about 3 weeks now.

I never thought a simple paint repair would leads to so many drama, including cat converter theft, argument with the body shop, argument with the insurance company, Towing the vehicle to dealership, talking to different parties who don't care. What an expeirence!

At a certain point, you should seek legal advice.

I think that point has already been passed, don't you?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

care to state what state you are in?

msy288

Reaction score
At a certain point, you should seek legal advice.

I think that point has already been passed, don't you?

I haven't really gone through the legal service since Insurance agreed to endorse OEM part. It is just too much hassles going on.

msy288

Reaction score
and people say crime is bad here.

I guess that the only places which can be considered safe are medium/small towns. Austin is probably a safer city among those big cities in Texas; San Antonio and Dallas next, and Houston is worst. I think a few weeks ago the outside parking lot (normally cheaper than the parking garage) of the IAH airport got hit several times for the catalytic converter stolen and it was on local news.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess that the only places which can be considered safe are medium/small towns. Austin is probably a safer city among those big cities in Texas; San Antonio and Dallas next, and Houston is worst. I think a few weeks ago the outside parking lot (normally cheaper than the parking garage) of the IAH airport got hit several times for the catalytic converter stolen and it was on local news.
Uh, Austin is a flaming garbage heap when it comes to property crimes. I have a lot of family there, and there's always issues even in their 'nicer' neighborhoods.

I live in northern DFW, you don't hear too much about cat thieves.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread