5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic converter stolen; Progressive only endorse aftermarket converter, any issue?

msy288

Reaction score
Uh, Austin is a flaming garbage heap when it comes to property crimes. I have a lot of family there, and there's always issues even in their 'nicer' neighborhoods.

I live in northern DFW, you don't hear too much about cat thieves.

Roger that. I was under a wrong impression that Austin is safer because there are many high-tech companies there. I have been to northern DFW (mainly Plano) are a few times and it is indeed a very nice area.

I live in southwest area of the great Houston area. It used to be very safe until recent years when the neighborhood is fully developed and all kinds of crimes start to rise. Most of the time I will just park my truck on the driveway and I was kind of mentally prepared for the scenario that one morning I start the vehicle and hear loud boom indicating stolen catalytic converter, but I never expect that it was indeed hit in a big body shop during the repair.

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Roger that. I was under a wrong impression that Austin is safer because there are many high-tech companies there. I have been to northern DFW (mainly Plano) are a few times and it is indeed a very nice area.

I live in southwest area of the great Houston area. It used to be very safe until recent years when the neighborhood is fully developed and all kinds of crimes start to rise. Most of the time I will just park my truck on the driveway and I was kind of mentally prepared for the scenario that one morning I start the vehicle and hear loud boom indicating stolen catalytic converter, but I never expect that it was indeed hit in a big body shop during the repair.

There's lot of things to like about Austin, low property crime rate isn't one of them lol

msy288

Reaction score
Folks! Need your suggestion again. Right now Dealership and Progressive don't quite agree on the repair estimate. The estimate on the part (OEM cat converters, sensors and core charge) is roughly $5k+tax and both agree on this number. The disagreement is on the labor part. Dealership want to charge roughly $1,400 (7 hours labor) on the labor for installation of cat converter and the four oxygen sensors; while Progressive only agree the labor charge to be $500 (3 hours labor). So there is about $900 difference. Initially the dealership service advisor asked me to negotiate with Insurance; otherwise I will have to pay the difference. Yesterday I escalate the issue to the management level of both parties, and right now they agree to talk to each other.

The Insurance adjustor told me that nowhere is charging a cat converter installation for 6 hours labor time, while dealership told me 6 hours labor time is by their standard book. I understand that the estimate from Insurance is always lower than that from dealership, as the former tend to give low ball offer while the latter always want to overestimate the time. What should be my standing in this case? I have been through so many hassles/talks in the past few weeks and really feel exhausted. If the difference is like $100+ I will just pay out of my own pocket; no way that I pay for $900 difference. I told them that I don't want to get involved in the estimate negotiation at this stage and would like they give a solution first. What do you think? Thanks!

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Folks! Need your suggestion again. Right now Dealership and Progressive don't quite agree on the repair estimate. The estimate on the part (OEM cat converters, sensors and core charge) is roughly $5k+tax and both agree on this number. The disagreement is on the labor part. Dealership want to charge roughly $1,500 (6 hours labor) on the labor for installation of cat converter and the four oxygen sensors; while Progressive only agree the labor charge to be $700 (3 hours labor). So there is about $800 difference. Initially the dealership service advisor asked me to negotiate with Insurance; otherwise I will have to pay the difference. Yesterday I escalate the issue to the management level of both parties, and right now they agree to talk to each other.

The Insurance adjustor told me that nowhere is charging a cat converter installation for 6 hours labor time, while dealership told me 6 hours labor time is by their standard book. I understand that the estimate from Insurance is always lower than that from dealership, as the former tend to give low ball offer while the latter always want to overestimate the time. What should be my standing in this case? I have been through so many hassles/talks in the past few weeks and really feel exhausted. If the difference is like $100+ I will just pay out of my own pocket; no way that I pay for $800 difference. I told them that I don't want to get involved in the estimate negotiation at this stage and would like they give a solution first. What do you think? Thanks!
if the dealer can not show you the time manual, show them this

msy288

Reaction score
$250/ hr for labor? I’m clearly in the wrong line of work.😲

Sorry that I re-check the estimate and it should be 7 hours. With tax their labor is a little bit over $200/hours. The installation of cat converter is 6 hours and they want one more hours to do re-soldering wires (not sure what it means). I will modify my post.

msy288

Reaction score

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers gonna be a dealer… 6 hours to change a CAT and 4 o2 sensors especially on a newer vehicle…..hilarious . If that’s the case they better be doing it off jack stands and not using a lift. I wouldn’t pay any difference I’ll let them figure it out. You’ve already went out of your way and dealt with way to much bs up until this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Folks! Need your suggestion again. Right now Dealership and Progressive don't quite agree on the repair estimate. The estimate on the part (OEM cat converters, sensors and core charge) is roughly $5k+tax and both agree on this number. The disagreement is on the labor part. Dealership want to charge roughly $1,400 (7 hours labor) on the labor for installation of cat converter and the four oxygen sensors; while Progressive only agree the labor charge to be $500 (3 hours labor). So there is about $900 difference. Initially the dealership service advisor asked me to negotiate with Insurance; otherwise I will have to pay the difference. Yesterday I escalate the issue to the management level of both parties, and right now they agree to talk to each other.

The Insurance adjustor told me that nowhere is charging a cat converter installation for 6 hours labor time, while dealership told me 6 hours labor time is by their standard book. I understand that the estimate from Insurance is always lower than that from dealership, as the former tend to give low ball offer while the latter always want to overestimate the time. What should be my standing in this case? I have been through so many hassles/talks in the past few weeks and really feel exhausted. If the difference is like $100+ I will just pay out of my own pocket; no way that I pay for $900 difference. I told them that I don't want to get involved in the estimate negotiation at this stage and would like they give a solution first. What do you think? Thanks!

Check with @Cbty2050. He's a Ram tech and should have the book time for a cat install.

msy288

Reaction score
I was stun a few years back myself when I was quoted the same $250/hr as well, I just walked away and went else where
I already run though so many hassles (tow my vehicle from the body shop where converter got stolen to the dealership) so right now I am quite reluctant to let Progressive to tow my vehicle to some other muffle shop to do the work with cheaper rate. Also the new part (converter and sensors) of my order just arrive today at the Dealership. I doubt if dealer agree to let Progressive just pay the part and let other muffle shop to do the labor.

msy288

Reaction score
Dealers gonna be a dealer… 6 hours to change a CAT and 4 o2 sensors especially on a newer vehicle…..hilarious . If that’s the case they better be doing it off jack stands and not using a lift. I wouldn’t pay any difference I’ll let them figure it out. You’ve already went out of your way and dealt with way to much bs up until this point.

Thanks. That is what I am thinking too. Actually it is 7 hours in total they are asking bc they want one more hour on "re-soldering the wiring". Initially I was thinking that Progress gave a low ball offer. Then I googled the info on Reddit and notice that most shop can complete installation within 2 hours. It is funny that the thieves cut the converter within one min and the fix time will be 7 hours.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to mentioned that lol since the CATs already gone just made the installation a bit easier. I can understand 4 hours or so and giving the tech a bit of wiggle room but 7 hours is just ridiculous. I guess they want you to pay for all the.. part shortage Covid this Covid that, short staff bs that everyone seems to want scream nowadays. I hope this nightmare ends soon for you and you drive into the sunset problem free again for many more years.

msy288

Reaction score
I was going to mentioned that lol since the CATs already gone just made the installation a bit easier. I can understand 4 hours or so and giving the tech a bit of wiggle room but 7 hours is just ridiculous. I guess they want you to pay for all the.. part shortage Covid this Covid that, short staff bs that everyone seems to want scream nowadays. I hope this nightmare ends soon for you and you drive into the sunset problem free again for many more years.

Thank you!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already run though so many hassles (tow my vehicle from the body shop where converter got stolen to the dealership) so right now I am quite reluctant to let Progressive to tow my vehicle to some other muffle shop to do the work with cheaper rate. Also the new part (converter and sensors) of my order just arrive today at the Dealership. I doubt if dealer agree to let Progressive just pay the part and let other muffle shop to do the labor.
I have been watching your situation with interest, my renewal is up with progressive in 2 weeks and I am thinking of looking else where. I know things do not always go this bad but the potential is there. Went back and read the policy terms in full and they do not use oem parts and use "competitive labor rates".

msy288

Reaction score
I have been watching your situation with interest, my renewal is up with progressive in 2 weeks and I am thinking of looking else where. I know things do not always go this bad but the potential is there. Went back and read the policy terms in full and they do not use oem parts and use "competitive labor rates".

Hope no more members here will go through all the troubles/hassles I have been dealing right now. I had spent so much time to make Progressive to approve on the OEM part. It is kind of funny that the manager of the in-network body shop Caliber Collision where the converter got stolen was pushing the aftermarket converter together with Progressive. That's why the repair at their in-network shop never incur estimate difference bc there is a reason that they are in-network. If the theft incident happened on my driveway instead of in their in-network body shop, I really doubt that Progressive would still agree to authorize the OEM part. The aftermarket catalytic is like $1k something or even less while the OEM one is over $5k (including 800 core charge bc the old one cannot be returned).

But I heard that a lot of main insurance companies (not only Progressive) like to go for the aftermarket. Someone mentioned earlier that USAA insurance allow you add OEM option on your insurance.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check with @Cbty2050. He's a Ram tech and should have the book time for a cat install.
@msy228 is getting screwed. Book time is around 2.0. Now that being said I could honestly see a 3 hour charge on it. Depending if the y-pipe bolts come out or have to be cut.

Screw THIS dealer, my suggestion is pull it out and tale it to an independent that will install an OEM cat.

Next we need the name of the dealer so we can blow up their Google reviews, all they are doing is trying to rip off the insurance company and the customer.

msy288

Reaction score
@msy228 is getting screwed. Book time is around 2.0. Now that being said I could honestly see a 3 hour charge on it. Depending if the y-pipe bolts come out or have to be cut.

Screw THIS dealer, my suggestion is pull it out and tale it to an independent that will install an OEM cat.

Next we need the name of the dealer so we can blow up their Google reviews, all they are doing is trying to rip off the insurance company and the customer.

Thanks again! I think that service technician made this estimation and added all those extra hours on his own. Lucky that I went to the dealership yesterday and directly talked to his manager (service manager). We three (manager, service advisor and myself) briefly talked about the situation and the manager agreed to review the estimate today again and see if they can revise the estimate to reduce the difference.

Actually I have been that dealership since I bought my truck for all services and some service advisors are really good. This time this service advisor really wants me to be in a miserable situation even I told him I have gone through so many troubles. Before I towed my truck to the dealership, I actually talked to him first (he was the only one there when I arrived) and he told me something like "Don't worry , just tow your vehicle here and we know how to deal with Insurance". I told him yesterday that if I knew so many troubles are involved, I would not tow my vehicle here and just let Caliber Collision to order the OEM and do the installation.

Users who are viewing this thread