5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

grimace

Reaction score
FWIW, I was planning to hold out for the CX Revo, but I decided to go with the Leer 100XQ. I'm really happy with how it looks, and I know it holds up since a buddy has had one on his Tundra for a while now. I had a 12V power bank installed at the rear corner, remote locking (tied to my factory remote), and the installer wired the front and rear dome lights into a switch that I can actually reach.

I did the same, pretty sick of ARE... IDK how long it takes to design on box for a truck that has been out for almost a year with modern cad tooling, but clearly they are lacking in that department. Have the Leer 100XQ with remote lock looks good and functions well so far.

Charger68

Reaction score
I have 100xq and love it. Paint is spot on, lines look great. Don't hesistate, leer builds a quality product and it is available now.

jaychris

Reaction score
I have 100xq and love it. Paint is spot on, lines look great. Don't hesistate, leer builds a quality product and it is available now.

I was extremely happy with the paint match. That was one of the areas that I was concerned with, but as you say, the lines look great and the paint match is spot on.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
I was extremely happy with the paint match. That was one of the areas that I was concerned with, but as you say, the lines look great and the paint match is spot on.

I'm getting mine (100RCC) tomorrow and this is my only concern. Leer stated Mopar changed the Granite Crystal paint slightly in August 2018 (or something like that). Mine was built in July....hoping Mopar did a hard switch on a single date on the paint, and not a slow phase out.

jaychris

Reaction score
I'm getting mine (100RCC) tomorrow and this is my only concern. Leer stated Mopar changed the Granite Crystal paint slightly in August 2018 (or something like that). Mine was built in July....hoping Mopar did a hard switch on a single date on the paint, and not a slow phase out.

I ran into a similar issue - I had to send my entire build sticker to Leer (at their request) so that they could make sure they had the correct paint for it. I guess the paint code itself was not enough.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the same, pretty sick of ARE... IDK how long it takes to design on box for a truck that has been out for almost a year with modern cad tooling, but clearly they are lacking in that department. Have the Leer 100XQ with remote lock looks good and functions well so far.

The issue is the one piece curved glass door... too high of a failure rate.

Gearwhine

Reaction score
Just came home with my Leer 100RCC. It's pretty darn perfect. I'm nitpicky as anything when I don't do the work myself, and I am completely impressed with the initial finish quality and installation. My ARE CX on my 2004 ram was 10 years old to be fair, but this is a much nicer piece at first inspection

The lines fit tight and consistent and the color is perfect as far as my eyes can see. It just seems like an all around clean build job by their team.
IMG_20190328_171405271.jpg IMG_20190328_171425710.jpg IMG_20190328_194303579.jpg IMG_20190328_194535051.jpg

The Favorite

Reaction score
I just purchased a white big horn crew cab sport and looking for a cap. Not many companies with 2019 models out yet that I've seen. Hoping for recommendations that look clean, fit body lines well, and seal well. Looking for more of a sporty look than utility and don't want a high roof.
Thanks

I realize this is an old thread only here's my 2 cents. There are a few quality shell manufacturers out there. I have been very happy with my ARE MX cap... it out lasted 3 F250s lol

Today I'm going to order one for my 1500 I just got yesterday. I have a dog so the well insulated feature of the ARE is important to me; though that's a quality other caps have. The main reason I go with ARE is the Access Door... it's great for fishing and camping... but is not something you're looking for.

The sporty look is definitely more aesthetically pleasing; only I opt for functionality due to mainly having a truck for camping and fishing.

Curious as to what you got or are going to get.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
I just purchased a white big horn crew cab sport and looking for a cap. Not many companies with 2019 models out yet that I've seen. Hoping for recommendations that look clean, fit body lines well, and seal well. Looking for more of a sporty look than utility and don't want a high roof.
Thanks
I have had the A.R.E. Z series and they are ok. I had to order a LEER for the 19 Ram because A.R.E. is not making one yet. I got the QL100 series and it is a lot nicer than the ARE. I am very impressed with it. I had the fold down front 20190327_193741.jpg 20190327_193804.jpg 20190327_193835.jpg window and slider installed on the special order in the Black Metallic paint. Love the truck and topper

mike0012

Reaction score
I have had the A.R.E. Z series and they are ok. I had to order a LEER for the 19 Ram because A.R.E. is not making one yet. I got the QL100 series and it is a lot nicer than the ARE. I am very impressed with it. I had the fold down front View attachment 20671 View attachment 20672 View attachment 20673 window and slider installed on the special order in the Black Metallic paint. Love the truck and topper

Thanks for the input. What specifically makes it a lot nicer?

Called to check on my Revo order today and was told another 6 weeks so I cancelled it. Deciding now between the Z2 and XL.

Last edited:

CMENT

Reaction score
I have had Z caps on my last two trucks ( Ram 3500 and F150). They look nice and I had no issues. The features you can get with the Leer are tempting me to switch over even though the Z looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What specifically makes it a lot nicer?

Called to check on my Revo order today and was told another 6 weeks so I cancelled it. Deciding now between the Z2 and XL.
The one piece glass, the inside carpet, mounting hardware, front glass, a little bit of everything is just a touch above the ARE in my opinion.

louz

Reaction score
The one piece glass, the inside carpet, mounting hardware, front glass, a little bit of everything is just a touch above the ARE in my opinion.
I agree. I have the 100XQ. Had the ARE on my 15 Ram.

jaychris

Reaction score
Has LEER upgraded the bargain bin patio door hinges they use?

The hinges on my 100XQ appear to be solid u-style hinges. not sure what the official term for them is, but there's nothing flimsy about them that I can see.

RichT

Reaction score
My ARE Overland series is finally at the shop. Will try to go Thursday for install and post some pics so if you are on the fence....

RichT

Reaction score
forgot to post a profile of the back. not sure if i like they way they have that extra flap, but i guess it is common as the leer posted has it also

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Just got quoted $1,770 (includes install) for a 100R with no options. Does this sound about right?

Users who are viewing this thread