5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Issue with topper 3rd brake light resolved. Installer contacted Leer for a fix. Asked what that was and was told they needed to install a diode (?????). Not sure how that fixed kicking the collision avoidance system out, but all is working now regardless.

Since the LEDs in the 3rd brake light are (of course) diodes, I wonder what change this makes... unless it's a Zener diode mounted backwards between signal and ground???

Nick54

Reaction score
Since the LEDs in the 3rd brake light are (of course) diodes, I wonder what change this makes... unless it's a Zener diode mounted backwards between signal and ground???
I am by no means an electrical engineer and to be honest, I cannot be sure the installer was completely straight forward with me concerning the resolution. What is ultimately important to me is that all systems are go!

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
EDIT: Snow melted, truck still dirty, but added a couple more pics.

That looks great! I know the MX is supposed to have about a 5” rise. But can you confirm how much additional height it truly is above the cab (or shark fin antenna)? With or without rack tracks?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly there is currently NO ARE option that includes a frameless back window?

If I want a frameless rear window and windoors. Is the Leer 100XR my best bet?

Last edited:

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly there is currently NO ARE option that includes a frameless back window?

If I want a frameless rear window and windoors is the Leer 100XR my best bet?

That's my understanding at this time.

Saints

Reaction score

If I want a frameless rear window and windoors is the Leer 100XR my best bet?

If you have a Jason dealer near you check them out. They are made in the same factory as Leer and a heck of a lot cheaper. I have one on my Tundra now and just ordered one for my Ram. I was going to go A.R.E this time, but they are more expensive. The Jason is a quality top, but the only thing I don’t like are the handles as they are a little cheap compared to A.R.E. Although the handles aren’t as good I use my truck for work and haven’t had any problems with it in the last 6 years opening and closing everyday multiple times a day. They may have upgraded the handles since then as I think the company has been sold to a new owner.

WRH

Reaction score
That looks great! I know the MX is supposed to have about a 5” rise. But can you confirm how much additional height it truly is above the cab (or shark fin antenna)? With or without rack tracks?

With Tracks. I need to measure it. I have a conference this weekend and I don't think I'll fit in the convention center parking.. DOH!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If I want a frameless rear window and windoors. Is the Leer 100XR my best bet?

At least locally for me, LEER is the only other option. However, I don't care for all the window attachment points through the window as it takes away from the clean look.... that and the cheesy door hinges they use for the window.

Nick54

Reaction score
At least locally for me, LEER is the only other option. However, I don't care for all the window attachment points through the window as it takes away from the clean look.... that and the cheesy door hinges they use for the window.
I have a LEER and your right, the door hinges are dopey, however I am for mechanically bonded handles and hinges.

WRH

Reaction score
With Tracks. I need to measure it. I have a conference this weekend and I don't think I'll fit in the convention center parking.. DOH!

I put a 2x4 across the landing pads mounted on the tracks and measured down (did this on both tracks). Three of them measured a half inch shy of 7'. The last measured a hair under 7'. The rail and landing pads might add an inch? I also have a leveling kit and bumped my tires up in size from stock. I'll try and get a cab rise measurement tonight or tomorrow.

I have a conference this weekend and the garage clearance is 7'. Now, what to do.... hmmm.

Nick54

Reaction score
I purchased the cap and got the headliner "free", well I passed on all other options but wish now that I would have gotten a couple of cloths racks installed. I know I can get them but I'm unsure of how the liner is installed. Anyone able to advise as to what I can expect under the material?

WRH

Reaction score

It looks like it is 5-6 inches above the top of the cab. It's sloped, so it's hard to say what the very highest point is in the middle which, I'd say, is 6".

Attachments

• 20190310_014950788_iOS.jpg
    20190310_014950788_iOS.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 191

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently the Z2 Series is now available for the 2019 RAM... while not the CX REVO, I really liked the Z I had on my Dakota.

1552246921553.png

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Revo in person? I don't see the appeal of the bubbled back window. An ARE Z series with frameless window looks pretty darn awesome. But I'm still stuck because I want a frameless rear window and windoors :(

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Revo in person? I don't see the appeal of the bubbled back window. An ARE Z series with frameless window looks pretty darn awesome. But I'm still stuck because I want a frameless rear window and windoors :(

I've only seen pics online...haven't seen one on any truck.

The frameless rear glass follows the curve on the lip on of the tailgate to give it a more SUV look.
Th Z comes straight down and has a plastic piece that goes over the lip.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. Just found my next cap. Ain’t waiting for them to fix the Revo.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah... I'm thinking a Z will work just fine, getting tired of waiting myself.

CMENT

Reaction score
Had a Z on my last two trucks and they were water tight and looked awesome. But the Lear locker has me interested in a XQ. The Z lookes better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tombo

Reaction score
According to my local dealer the Z2 is $402 more than the CX Revo. No date yet on the Revo.

jaychris

Reaction score
FWIW, I was planning to hold out for the CX Revo, but I decided to go with the Leer 100XQ. I'm really happy with how it looks, and I know it holds up since a buddy has had one on his Tundra for a while now. I had a 12V power bank installed at the rear corner, remote locking (tied to my factory remote), and the installer wired the front and rear dome lights into a switch that I can actually reach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread