5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add the remote tailgate drop (limited) to a Laramie?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an FYI on this process, I spoke to someone about programming the Fob with the tailgate drop. What I found out is that the fob isn't really programmed, the truck is because they add the new fob so the truck will accept it and its function buttons. The local dealer wanted $130 for the programming and cutting the key. The guy I spoke to will do it for $90 so at least I saved $40. Most places I contacted couldn't do the programming.

TravisH

Reaction score
As an FYI on this process, I spoke to someone about programming the Fob with the tailgate drop. What I found out is that the fob isn't really programmed, the truck is because they add the new fob so the truck will accept it and its function buttons. The local dealer wanted $130 for the programming and cutting the key. The guy I spoke to will do it for $90 so at least I saved $40. Most places I contacted couldn't do the programming.

Can the key swap from the old remote to the new so all you have to get is the programming done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riveralg79

Reaction score
Can the key swap from the old remote to the new so all you have to get is the programming done?

You can’t program someone else’s key

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadycreek007

Reaction score
#1) Is it possible to install the remote tailgate release that comes on the Limited’s on to a Laramie?
Mine came with it. Absolutely disliked. When I have a trailer connected, I'd bump the remote in my pocket while loading trailer or even just sitting within distance and the tailgate would drop hitting the trailer jack causing paint damage. I r&r the rubber from remote and removed the little button to prevent that issue.

Thinker

Reaction score
So did anyone provide an answer to this? I am interested in adding it as well.

I would like to know also if I could just put my owned switch( Momentary) in the cab to open my tail gate on a 2020 Dodge Rebel. Also do you think the wires are already in the ceiling console wiring harness ?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to know also if I could just put my owned switch( Momentary) in the cab to open my tail gate on a 2020 Dodge Rebel. Also do you think the wires are already in the ceiling console wiring harness ?
I don't think there is a wire there for the tail gate, as it communicates over CAN Bus.
AND NEVER CALL A REBEL "DODGE"

DocV

Reaction score
I appreciate all of you weighing in and suggesting soldering a new switch on the remote. I bought a used 2020 Ram 3500 with only one key. I went to buy a second key fob, and the locksmith was nice enough to sell me a keyfob with the tailgate release. It worked as soon as he programmed it. No button on the dash/overhead console, but I do have a keyfob for the release. Thank you again for all of your research.

Loudram

Reaction score
I'll bring this thread back up.

I want to add the remote tailgate but I have a question. When you release the tailgate with the fob does the truck stay locked? And just to confirm, all I need to do is to get the proper fob and have it programed and it'll work. Yes I have the tailgate dampener and no I don't need or want the inside switch.

I noticed some say this is useless or being lazy, I just wanted to add that each person uses their truck a different way. In my case I go camping. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and at night I need to get into the bed at times. Now I have to unlock the truck and have my headlights come on. That blinds the people in the camp sites near me. I want to be considerate. If I could just unlock the tailgate itself with a key like I could on my '14 Ram I'd be happy but they took that option away.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I want to add the remote tailgate but I have a question. When you release the tailgate with the fob does the truck stay locked? And just to confirm, all I need to do is to get the proper fob and have it programed and it'll work. Yes I have the tailgate dampener and no I don't need or want the inside switch.

I noticed some say this is useless or being lazy, I just wanted to add that each person uses their truck a different way. In my case I go camping. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and at night I need to get into the bed at times. Now I have to unlock the truck and have my headlights come on. That blinds the people in the camp sites near me. I want to be considerate. If I could just unlock the tailgate itself with a key like I could on my '14 Ram I'd be happy but they took that option away.

I don't know if this helps or not. I have a Limited, so I have the button for remote tailgate release.

If my truck is locked, I walk up to the tailgate, with my key fob in my pocket, and I pull on the tailgate handle and it opens. I have to kind of press the tailgate release (on the tailgate itself) for a second and then it just pops open. Without unlocking the truck.

Have you tried that?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If you use the fob to drop tailgste, the the doors stay locked. And yes, you just need to buy a fib with the button and get it programmed. Nothing else needed.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps or not. I have a Limited, so I have the button for remote tailgate release.

If my truck is locked, I walk up to the tailgate, with my key fob in my pocket, and I pull on the tailgate handle and it opens. I have to kind of press the tailgate release (on the tailgate itself) for a second and then it just pops open. Without unlocking the truck.

Have you tried that?
That’s true if you have passive entry. Before I added passive entry I had to unlock the doors to open the tailgate. I have since added passive entry as well as the remote with the tailgate function so now the doors can stay locked either way I open the tailgate

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the feature, but don't understand it. What good is a remote tailgate release if you still have to manually close it? Most pointless feature on the truck aside from the 3-honk key warning and the AutoPark.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe if you have your hands full… much easier to get a finger to push the button then a hand to open the tailgate. Its just another feature if you use it great… if you don’t well then thats okay too.. be thankful manufacturers haven’t started doing without it to save themselves a buck and increase profits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the feature, but don't understand it. What good is a remote tailgate release if you still have to manually close it? Most pointless feature on the truck aside from the 3-honk key warning and the AutoPark.
Cause sometimes it's nice to be able to hit the fob and drop tailgate as you are walking up to the truck so you don't have to set items down to hit tailgate handle.

Also, as another member mentioned, if you don't have proximity entry, you can pop the tailgate with the fob without unlocking the doors

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe if you have your hands full… much easier to get a finger to push the button then a hand to open the tailgate. Its just another feature if you use it great… if you don’t well then thats okay too.. be thankful manufacturers haven’t started doing without it to save themselves a buck and increase profits.

Cause sometimes it's nice to be able to hit the fob and drop tailgate as you are walking up to the truck so you don't have to set items down to hit tailgate handle.

Also, as another member mentioned, if you don't have proximity entry, you can pop the tailgate with the fob without unlocking the doors

I guess....but if I can stuff a hand down in my pocket and pull out a key fob and find the correct button to push, all while balancing the load in my other arm, then why can't I just use that same free hand to touch the tailgate release?

I still think it's a pointless feature. But, as long as it doesn't get in my way I suppose it doesn't matter.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An example I’ll use from my own day to day experiences. When I’m in work clothes.. I keep my fob attached to my belt loop inside a leather amazon case. Often time my hands are full consisting a lot of time with either 5 gallon paint buckets in each hand or other gear or my hands covered in paint. So its much easier to use a finger to hit the fob button then it is for me to put what I have down and open the tailgate.. plus keeps the paint off my hands from getting in or on my truck. Might be useless for some but still a great feature to have available to use.

During covid times using grocery pickup or any other curbside pickup.. in the areas Ive been in most encouraged loading up the bed themselves and having you stay in the truck. Bingo.. drop the tailgate from either the fob, or dome button. No need to make someone feel skittish or for me to toss on mask to get out and open the tailgate myself.

Users who are viewing this thread