5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add the remote tailgate drop (limited) to a Laramie?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the remote tailgate release, but have never used it except to show people I had it when I first bought my truck. I'm not sure what good it is to be honest. If I have my hands fullt would be more hassle to dig in my pocket for the fob than it would be to just open it manually. Maybe if you're thinking ahead and open it before picking anything up, but you would still need to be in "remote range" to use it. It's an over-rated feature IMHO.

magic280z

Reaction score
For those that don't have the remote release is the handle at the gate electronic or mechanical?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heres the thread.......

Yup I found this while adding heated mirrors and ambient to my bighorn. I ran the wire up to a momentary switch in my overheat console. Can’t say that I’ve ever needed to use it, but I’ll remind myself it’s there and use it sometimes. But actually my tailgate is a pos and sticks unless I push in on it because it’s out of adjustment or something

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For those that don't have the remote release is the handle at the gate electronic or mechanical?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG
They're all electronic from what I've seen. My daughter's 2019 Rebel doesn't have the remote tailgate release and hers is electronic.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Noob here... I'm curious what the end of the matter is here also. I did find this, for those of us without remote start and tailgate release:

From what the instructions say (see second PDF link) you install the part (third link - 82215550AB) then you have to register the features/options and attach them to the VIN with the dealer through their internal system called "Dealer Connect." I have a call into my local dealer where I purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab Laramie 4X4 EcoDiesel. I'm itchin to get some new features, mods, parts on it ASAP. I think for $140 a key and $41 for the damper this is an inexpensive and quick way to add some serious functionality to my rig.

If someone can let me know one way or the other I'd appreciate it. If I hear back from the dealer before then I'll let y'all know. Rock on!
I briefly skimmed through the thread, and didn’t see a definitive answer. The answer is - Yes. All you need to get the remote tailgate release to work, is the correct fob with the button on it. Then take it to the dealer and tell them you want sales code JKR added to the truck, and the fob programmed. NOTE: don’t ask the service advisor if they can do it, or if it can be done, or anything like that. Just tell them you want an appointment to add the sales code and fob programming. Any tech that uses wiTECH will know exactly what to do.
Also, it doesn’t matter what package, trim level, etc your truck is. If it’s a 2019+ 5th gen Ram, then the remote tailgate release can be added this way.

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
I have the remote tailgate release, but have never used it except to show people I had it when I first bought my truck. I'm not sure what good it is to be honest. If I have my hands fullt would be more hassle to dig in my pocket for the fob than it would be to just open it manually. Maybe if you're thinking ahead and open it before picking anything up, but you would still need to be in "remote range" to use it. It's an over-rated feature IMHO.

Back in the day when aftermarket car alarms were all the rage with my high-school buddies I learned a trick and it seems to still hold true today. If you hold your remote upright (top of remote against the underside of your chin kinda just below your tongue) and press the button you'll be surprised how much farther the signal seems to go. Try it out the next time you're at Wal-Mart, Target, or anywhere else with some distance. Fun party trick.

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
I briefly skimmed through the thread, and didn’t see a definitive answer. The answer is - Yes. All you need to get the remote tailgate release to work, is the correct fob with the button on it. Then take it to the dealer and tell them you want sales code JKR added to the truck, and the fob programmed. NOTE: don’t ask the service advisor if they can do it, or if it can be done, or anything like that. Just tell them you want an appointment to add the sales code and fob programming. Any tech that uses wiTECH will know exactly what to do.
Also, it doesn’t matter what package, trim level, etc your truck is. If it’s a 2019+ 5th gen Ram, then the remote tailgate release can be added this way.

Sweet! Thanks! So JKR for trunk release. Are there additional codes for other feature enabling such as remote start and the trailer brake control (once hardware is installed)?

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
They (the sales people) add options to the VIN and the tech (using DealerConnect) does a "Vehicle Restore Configuration" .. the tech uses a "pod" which plugs into the comms port under the dash. The newly added items then show up on the tech's screen and the tech finishes the update.

Nice! Another follow-up question, do you need just one or do you need two of the tailgate dampeners? I'm guessing just one would be sufficient? The installation instructions didn't really indicate one way or the other.

moparleo51

Reaction score
can this sales code be activated using the alfob, or tazer?

HMC8403

Reaction score
Honestly I have never used it either. And I'm guessing those who have the multifunction tailgate would use it even less.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Maybe if you're thinking ahead and open it before picking anything up, but you would still need to be in "remote range" to use it. It's an over-rated feature IMHO.
This is how I use it. Picture you are finishing a round of golf. Grab the fob, start the truck and then drop the tailgate. Now walking up to my truck ready to load up with hands full of golf bag and other items while the key fob is in my pocket.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! Another follow-up question, do you need just one or do you need two of the tailgate dampeners? I'm guessing just one would be sufficient? The installation instructions didn't really indicate one way or the other.

1 dampener (goes on the driver's side .. there are images around here somewhere where another user posted it.

I was told allfob can? But Tazer will not (that I know of)

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
1 dampener (goes on the driver's side .. there are images around here somewhere where another user posted it.

I was told allfob can? But Tazer will not (that I know of)

So... I went out to my rig to peek behind the driver's side tail lamp and the two spots where the damper strut would attach are no where to be found. The photos and diagram on the install form appear to be for the DT Models. I think the DS models (2019 EcoDiesels) are unicorns and in general most things that would be easy to do on a DT model simply may not be possible. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. Might have to dial-for-dollars to get some answers from a dealer with time on their hands. Oh wait, that's all of them given the state of the world at the moment. (You won't catch me using the TV catchphrases!)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Electronic (on the Limited at least).

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
Electronic (on the Limited at least).

And that's the rub for me, I have electronic locking/unlocking of the tailgate with the remote and/or interior locking. Just no option for internal damper. If it is possible to enable release I could always go external damper (aftermarket) but not sure if its possible.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
And that's the rub for me, I have electronic locking/unlocking of the tailgate with the remote and/or interior locking. Just no option for internal damper. If it is possible to enable release I could always go external damper (aftermarket) but not sure if its possible.
Agree, that’s silly. Prob another $15 in parts to add it at the factory.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks! So JKR for trunk release. Are there additional codes for other feature enabling such as remote start and the trailer brake control (once hardware is installed)?
Yes. Remote start is sales code XBM. For that, you need a different RF Hub and the correct hood latch that has hood ajar sensor. Trailer brake controller is XHC.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
AlfaOBD can’t do it (right now). It can enable the tailgate release setting in the BCM, but the RF Hub needs to be reset to recognize the enabled setting in the BCM. The 5th gens don’t use a fixed PIN number for the RF Hub like the 4th gens did, so that means it can’t reset the hub or program the new fob.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Back in the day when aftermarket car alarms were all the rage with my high-school buddies I learned a trick and it seems to still hold true today. If you hold your remote upright (top of remote against the underside of your chin kinda just below your tongue) and press the button you'll be surprised how much farther the signal seems to go. Try it out the next time you're at Wal-Mart, Target, or anywhere else with some distance. Fun party trick.
I've shown this trick to my co-workers. It seemed to work better on other vehicles I've owned. I've tried it with my 2020 Laramie and it doesn't have the same effect for some reason.

So... I went out to my rig to peek behind the driver's side tail lamp and the two spots where the damper strut would attach are no where to be found. The photos and diagram on the install form appear to be for the DT Models. I think the DS models (2019 EcoDiesels) are unicorns and in general most things that would be easy to do on a DT model simply may not be possible. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. Might have to dial-for-dollars to get some answers from a dealer with time on their hands. Oh wait, that's all of them given the state of the world at the moment. (You won't catch me using the TV catchphrases!)

If you have a Ram 1500 Classic (DS) then it's a 4th gen. They didn't have tailgate dampers from the factory. The only solution for you is aftermarket...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've shown this trick to my co-workers. It seemed to work better on other vehicles I've owned. I've tried it with my 2020 Laramie and it doesn't have the same effect for some reason.

If you have a Ram 1500 Classic (DS) then it's a 4th gen. They didn't have tailgate dampers from the factory. The only solution for you is aftermarket...
Body style would have been good to know right off the bat.
@RamTastic2020, if you have a DS truck, you have a 4th gen. The info I gave you about the dealer adding JKR sales code to your Ram will not work for you. You can’t have the remote release, and you would have to use an aftermarket damper, like the DeeZee one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online