5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add the remote tailgate drop (limited) to a Laramie?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Body style would have been good to know right off the bat.
@RamTastic2020, if you have a DS truck, you have a 4th gen. The info I gave you about the dealer adding JKR sales code to your Ram will not work for you. You can’t have the remote release, and you would have to use an aftermarket damper, like the DeeZee one.
Which is why it's a good idea for everyone to add vehicle details to their signature. Even the most basic information helps.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not for nothing, but the deezee damper on my old 4th gen was my favorite mod and bang for buck. I you have a DS / ram classic or 2500, do yourself a favor and grab one! you'll be happy you did

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've shown this trick to my co-workers. It seemed to work better on other vehicles I've owned. I've tried it with my 2020 Laramie and it doesn't have the same effect for some reason.

If you have a Ram 1500 Classic (DS) then it's a 4th gen. They didn't have tailgate dampers from the factory. The only solution for you is aftermarket...

When I bought my 4th Gen (back in 2009), MOPAR had a tailgate damper kit, which I put on mine and was still working fine 10 years later, when I traded the truck in for my 5th Gen.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I bought my 4th Gen (back in 2009), MOPAR had a tailgate damper kit, which I put on mine and was still working fine 10 years later, when I traded the truck in for my 5th Gen.
I'd still consider a Mopar tailgate damper kit for a 4th gen an aftermarket product since Ram didn't offer a dampened tailgate from the factory for those trucks. I guess technically you might call it a Mopar accessory. It's just semantics. I had the Dee Zee damper on both of the 4th gens I owned, and they both worked great. It's a great solution.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd still consider a Mopar tailgate damper kit for a 4th gen an aftermarket product since Ram didn't offer a dampened tailgate from the factory for those trucks. I guess technically you might call it a Mopar accessory. It's just semantics. I had the Dee Zee damper on both of the 4th gens I owned, and they both worked great. It's a great solution.

I guess it's really moot, but if you buy a Mopar accessory from a dealer and have them install it, then it is covered by the same warranty as the rest of the truck. Which is not true for aftermarket.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that don't have the remote release is the handle at the gate electronic or mechanical?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG
I just checked the DT service manual and the procedure for replacing/removing the two tailgate latches has a step to disconnect a wiring harness. There appears to be no different procedure for a strictly 'manual' latch.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033291 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess it's really moot, but if you buy a Mopar accessory from a dealer and have them install it, then it is covered by the same warranty as the rest of the truck. Which is not true for aftermarket.
That's definitely true. And I might give that advice for something expensive to have to replace, but at under $30 for the Dee Zee version, how many of those could you buy for what it costs to pay for the Mopar part and have it dealer installed if something goes wrong with it?

turbochuck74

Reaction score
I have the remote tailgate release, but have never used it except to show people I had it when I first bought my truck. I'm not sure what good it is to be honest. If I have my hands fullt would be more hassle to dig in my pocket for the fob than it would be to just open it manually. Maybe if you're thinking ahead and open it before picking anything up, but you would still need to be in "remote range" to use it. It's an over-rated feature IMHO.
I would use it on a daily basis. Imagine backing up to your gooseneck or 5th wheel, being able to pop open the tailgate without getting out and backing right up to the trailer. This is probably the main reason why this feature was put into place

Snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Yup I found this while adding heated mirrors and ambient to my bighorn. I ran the wire up to a momentary switch in my overheat console. Can’t say that I’ve ever needed to use it, but I’ll remind myself it’s there and use it sometimes. But actually my tailgate is a pos and sticks unless I push in on it because it’s out of adjustment or something
What do you mean exactly by adding the ambient? The ambient interior lightning?

Julio13

Reaction score
I just bought remote on eBay has to be new or refurbished and called a locksmith to program the fob and tailgate release worked on my 2021 ram 1500 big horn just be careful as I bought first fob and it was for a ram 2500 and up which does not have the led on fob. The remote I had to buy is an OHT-4882056 which has the led on top of fob I did not have to go to dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riveralg79

Reaction score
I just bought remote on eBay has to be new or refurbished and called a locksmith to program the fob and tailgate release worked on my 2021 ram 1500 big horn just be careful as I bought first fob and it was for a ram 2500 and up which does not have the led on fob. The remote I had to buy is an OHT-4882056 which has the led on top of fob I did not have to go to dealer

Do you have a pic?

Julio13

Reaction score
That’s the one I bought but man they have gone up in price I bought mine for 99

Julio13

Reaction score
Found that one cheaper they say oem is better but they do sell knock offs but it’s hit or miss

riveralg79

Reaction score
That’s the one I bought but man they have gone up in price I bought mine for 99

And it works for your tail gate drop? I’m going to do that now…

Julio13

Reaction score
Yes as long as it has the damper so tailgate won’t drop my big horn had it so yours should have it

Julio13

Reaction score
Remember I don’t have the proximity that unlocks doors without having to use remote so if yours has that I’m guessing it’ll work don’t know ask seller before buying remote

riveralg79

Reaction score
I confirmed it does work, I bought this remote and now my tailgate drops with it. IMG_4376.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread