5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add the remote tailgate drop (limited) to a Laramie?

rlc2020

Reaction score
I have a laramie without the remote release. I would assume it could be as simple as getting the correct fob, and then having the dealer program it in since mine has the electronic release and dampener already in place, just not the remote function. I'll ask my guy at ram service and see what he has to say about it. I can imagine a new fob isn't cheap though...

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a laramie without the remote release. I would assume it could be as simple as getting the correct fob, and then having the dealer program it in since mine has the electronic release and dampener already in place, just not the remote function. I'll ask my guy at ram service and see what he has to say about it. I can imagine a new fob isn't cheap though...

Not normally unless RAM already installed the modules and controllers required -- you'd have to ask your local parts dealer for the break down // the dampener is installed on all new RAM tailgates for ease-of-opening and not slamming.

1 - order the remote tailgate package
2 - parts dealer tells you it arrives and give the tech a 4-digit pin for the 2 new key-fobs and adds the proper Sales Code to your VIN.
3 - the tech installs the new tailgate items, the modules (if your current vehicle doesn't have them - which may include removing your back seat, your headliner, portions of your dash, etc.), runs a wire as needed to a connector under your dash, etc.
4 - the tech updates your vehicle with a fob that plugs into your ODBII port and uses software to update the computer systems in your truck.
5 - the tech then programs both new keyfobs and tests them.
6 - the tech adviser calls you and says your vehicle is complete and come get it

that is the simple steps ..

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not normally unless RAM already installed the modules and controllers required -- you'd have to ask your local parts dealer for the break down // the dampener is installed on all new RAM tailgates for ease-of-opening and not slamming.

1 - order the remote tailgate package
2 - parts dealer tells you it arrives and give the tech a 4-digit pin for the 2 new key-fobs and adds the proper Sales Code to your VIN.
3 - the tech installs the new tailgate items, the modules (if your current vehicle doesn't have them - which may include removing your back seat, your headliner, portions of your dash, etc.), runs a wire as needed to a connector under your dash, etc.
4 - the tech updates your vehicle with a fob that plugs into your ODBII port and uses software to update the computer systems in your truck.
5 - the tech then programs both new keyfobs and tests them.
6 - the tech adviser calls you and says your vehicle is complete and come get it

that is the simple steps ..
Then....the Service Manager says "that will be $1200 please" at which time you kick yourself for wanting a tailgate that opens with the push of a button when all you had to do was walk around back and grab the handle.

Damion

Reaction score
I remember seeing a thread where someone found the tailgate release wire and connected it through a resistor to ground and it popped his tailgate.

While it won't be connected to the factory switch, doing this to a small momentary push button switch would give you in cab control of dropping the tailgate if you desired. No help on remote release unless you wired in a separate stand alone aftermarket remote to do it, but then your carrying around 2 fobs.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember seeing a thread where someone found the tailgate release wire and connected it through a resistor to ground and it popped his tailgate.

While it won't be connected to the factory switch, doing this to a small momentary push button switch would give you in cab control of dropping the tailgate if you desired. No help on remote release unless you wired in a separate stand alone aftermarket remote to do it, but then your carrying around 2 fobs.

or give you the option to purchase the pretty button from the dealer (or online) and install it in the overhead console.

Damion

Reaction score
Heres the thread.......

ponypride

Reaction score
I have a Laramie, and there is the automatic Tellgate release. I thought this is standard on all Lamaries. I do not believe I ordered it as an option.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Yeah, if the module isn't there then I'm not bothering with it. I bought an 07 F150 brand new (stripped work truck) and was told cruise control was expensive to install by the dealer and that it required many extra parts. After researching on a forum, I ordered the switch on ebay for $79, popped off the plastic blanks and the harness with plug was sitting right there in the wheel. Plugged it in and had the dealer program it for me and I was good to go for under $180. I was hoping this was that situation here, but it appears not. I may go with the in-cab release switch route though. That's easy and free!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Laramie, and there is the automatic Tellgate release. I thought this is standard on all Lamaries. I do not believe I ordered it as an option.
It came as part of the Level 1 equipment group on my Laramie. I initially thought it was a standard Laramie option as well until I looked at my window sticker again.

ScarletNight

Reaction score
It came as part of the Level 1 equipment group on my Laramie. I initially thought it was a standard Laramie option as well until I looked at my window sticker again.
Yup. That is what I have... the level 1 equipment group.

KRField

Reaction score
If you bought the Mopar damper you need the right key fob. In the install instructions at the bottom it outlines for the dealer to add the sales code and program the new fobik. Also states to make sure the old as well as the new fobiks are given to customer. The old ones are still operable for the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
If you have a truck bed cover, sometimes (majority of the time for me) the remote release function will not really work as it sticks under the bed cover and I need to pull it down by the handle anyways. Just thought you might consider that before going down a rough path of adding a remote release and you have a bed cover. Honestly I never really saw the point of the remote release, if you use the remote release it means you need to go back to the tailgate to load something or take something out presumably in which case you are right next to the handle anyways. I am sure people have their reasons like if their hands are full with stuff it might be easier to press the key fob beforehand then reach for the handle, that's the only advantage I can really see to it.

maddog49

Reaction score
I've wondered the same. On a minivan for the doors and tailgate we use the remote door functions all the time. On a truck just can't think of a scenario where it matters.

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
Noob here... I'm curious what the end of the matter is here also. I did find this, for those of us without remote start and tailgate release:

From what the instructions say (see second PDF link) you install the part (third link - 82215550AB) then you have to register the features/options and attach them to the VIN with the dealer through their internal system called "Dealer Connect." I have a call into my local dealer where I purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab Laramie 4X4 EcoDiesel. I'm itchin to get some new features, mods, parts on it ASAP. I think for $140 a key and $41 for the damper this is an inexpensive and quick way to add some serious functionality to my rig.

If someone can let me know one way or the other I'd appreciate it. If I hear back from the dealer before then I'll let y'all know. Rock on!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer to the original question : YES

Yes - it depends on the package(s) you got. I clicked each and every checkbox I could when I ordered mine.
you know some turn others off? some that are turned off and seemingly locked out can be overridden too.

RamTastic2020

Reaction score
you know some turn others off? some that are turned off and seemingly locked out can be overridden too.

Please, tell me more! I got the Laramie with the 28H package (Convenience Group, Anti-Spin Rear End, Power Sunroof, Power Rear Widow/Defrost, LED Bed Lighting, Alpine Sound System, CD-Player, 8.4" U-Connect w/ NAV, Parksense).

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... then you have to register the features/options and attach them to the VIN with the dealer through their internal system called "Dealer Connect." ...

They (the sales people) add options to the VIN and the tech (using DealerConnect) does a "Vehicle Restore Configuration" .. the tech uses a "pod" which plugs into the comms port under the dash. The newly added items then show up on the tech's screen and the tech finishes the update.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you are doing a custom order, some options turn others off. like paying $200 for tow mirrows and nuking the $2000 360 surround view.

you can buy just the trailer brake without the tow mirrors. you can also pick something other than 3.92 when ordering the ecodiesel, it just has to be put in the system right. There's a lot you can order that isnt even an option on the computer. FCA might be one of the few car companies you can pick and choose things and are not totally stuck with packages.

Users who are viewing this thread