5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone post a pic of what the driver side door lock looks like when it's extended?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all!

I think my door panel might be misaligned, or maybe the door lock that goes through the panel is misaligned. I'm not sure, but when you unlock the doors the door lock button doesn't extend past the door trim, while on the passenger side it extends past the trim maybe half an inch? On the back doors, the lock extends past the door panel maybe an inch. It seems like they should all be high enough that you could push it down with your hand if you wanted to. But I can't figure out what it should look like. If all the door locks should be the same height, or if they're all different. The window belt trim seems right on my driver's door.

I'm not really sure if I care that much, but I don't want the panel to be maybe putting more stress on the door lock button than it should by blocking the button from coming up. I am going in for an oil change and tire rotation next month and if this thing is wrong I'll have it fixed then.

Thanks!

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
8d1f4779d6ee3c0bef28409b28cde1c8.jpg

Front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8d1f4779d6ee3c0bef28409b28cde1c8.jpg

Front

Thanks ! Now that looks like the passenger side front? Do you have a picture of the driver's side? I think that's what my passenger side looks like but the driver side doesn't extend past the little grommet.

klail

Reaction score
Thanks ! Now that looks like the passenger side front? Do you have a picture of the driver's side? I think that's what my passenger side looks like but the driver side doesn't extend past the little grommet.
They both extend the same from front driver to front passenger.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score

Both pictures are passenger side but I looked and both sides are equal

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My door lock knobs extend the same on both sides like in the pictures with the rear door knobs higher than the front door knobs.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, thanks everyone! I'll post a picture of mine when I get a chance but it sounds like it's not right.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all!

I think my door panel might be misaligned, or maybe the door lock that goes through the panel is misaligned. I'm not sure, but when you unlock the doors the door lock button doesn't extend past the door trim, while on the passenger side it extends past the trim maybe half an inch? On the back doors, the lock extends past the door panel maybe an inch. It seems like they should all be high enough that you could push it down with your hand if you wanted to. But I can't figure out what it should look like. If all the door locks should be the same height, or if they're all different. The window belt trim seems right on my driver's door.

I'm not really sure if I care that much, but I don't want the panel to be maybe putting more stress on the door lock button than it should by blocking the button from coming up. I am going in for an oil change and tire rotation next month and if this thing is wrong I'll have it fixed then.

Thanks!

Hi jdmartin,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up having to address this with your dealer, please know that our team is more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for the process.

Mark
RamCares

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hi jdmartin,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up having to address this with your dealer, please know that our team is more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for the process.

Mark
RamCares

LOL.

All my door locks are at different heights...

Rick

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LOL.

All my door locks are at different heights...

Rick

I'm very sorry to hear this, Rick. Please feel free to send me a PM with more details regarding your situation so that I may determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My door lock knobs extend the same on both sides like in the pictures with the rear door knobs higher than the front door knobs.
Same here, the reason for the rear seat higher because there are no unlock button for the rear door, so they made it higher so it can be hold and pull it up to unlock the door.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Same here, the reason for the rear seat higher because there are no unlock button for the rear door, so they made it higher so it can be hold and pull it up to unlock the door.

That would actually make sense - since the rear doors do not unlock/open when you pull on the handle (when the doors are locked - which I had to go out to the truck and verify - LOL).

Something ACTUALLY MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. Surprise, surprise, surprise...

Rick

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I remember reading something about this in the OM. There is a description or explanation in there. I don't have time to look it up right now.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@jdmartin
When they are locked, they should be more flush with the panel ... when unlocked, they should look close to what @BadAspSVT posted.
I haven't tried, but can you not just 'unscrew' them a bit to make them all match? I'll have to go check mine later when I run to fill up with fuel. Hopefully your panel wasn't "bumped" or something that made it slide up off the frame.
Tim N

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Both my front doors are evenly flush below the door line when locked - and evenly above when unlocked.

Likewise the backs are even ABOVE the door line when locked - and moreso, when unlocked.

Again, likely, because the front doors open/unlock with the handle, and the rears do not.

Personally, I'd like them ALL to be flush when locked - to keep them from projecting and interfering with the doggie door covers that I plan on getting (or HAVING MADE, since the ones you can buy are not nearly wide enough to cover the entire window sill, and a 90lb rottie with velociraptor claws can do some damage to the leather trim).

Rick

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome - thanks! My driver's side definitely does not look like that. I will have to get the dealer to look at it, though I'm reluctant to have a bunch of gorillas tearing off my driver's side door panel for something that doesn't really bother me. I'm more concerned with the fact that if it's jammed, is it/will it damage the locking mechanism over the long haul? The button doesn't come through the grommet at all.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I attempted to screw/unscrew the button-tops but all I heard was clicking, so I'm not sure if they adjust or not. I'll have to see if I can dig up the parts photos and see if they are adjustable or not.

Users who are viewing this thread