5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can of Worms: Does a CAI Actually Benefit and Improve on the Stock Design?

j517

Reaction score
I'm going to order 1 tomorrow I paid 55k for this truck I plant to take of it. My Ford f250 tried to take care of it but ca and its bs emission controls messed everything up. I understand that we need to be green I guess it takes 1 idiot to mess things up for everyone. Idiots thinking they looked kool spitting out all that blk smoke.

Those idiots in Oakland screwed up the legal exhaust mods with their exhaust whistle as they called it. In la those idiots with their bs take overs

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

asac12

Reaction score
So, the general consensus in this thread is keep the stock air intake system and carbon filter, but replace the stock air filter with an after market filter? Any recommendations? K&N, Green, or?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, the general consensus in this thread is keep the stock air intake system and carbon filter, but replace the stock air filter with an after market filter? Any recommendations? K&N, Green, or?
There are a number of quality options out there. I used to use oiled filters (e.g. K&N), but I’ve gotten away from them after seeing over-oiled examples. In my last truck, I switched to Purolator PureONE air filters and was pleased. I don’t believe they offer one for our trucks yet.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s a perfect fix. Long years of reading/talking on the hemis and LS engines for that matter. They eat a lot of oil. Many long time enthusiasts of both recommend not demanding to have one.
For me, I got a surprisingly quality one for 50$ on eBay. Last time I looked outlet to manifold was still completely dry. It’s just a peace of mind with out getting down and dirty into specific stuff. Just like my much shorter maintenance mileages I will be using compared to others.

Got mine off of ebay as well... a little over 1500 miles when I drained the catch can at oil change (just over 5K) and there was about 2 oz of oil in the can.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was look at some CAI and looking at the stock design. This stock design is probably the best design I have seen on a stock setup. It actually grabs air from the grill and not the fender with a pretty direct route to the throttle body. The only flaws I could find was the Charcoal filter (very restrictive as test with a shop vac) and stock filter. I could see both coupled together being the Achilles heel of the air flow.

Looking at the aftermarket options, aside from Vararam, they are the basic design of the factory setup. The AFE for example only replaces the top half the system and keeps the factory induction. The Vararam is the only system that is a true redesign, however with the active shutters on this truck may pose a hinderence to the Vararam design.

So is there a huge benefit to replacement as opposed removal of the charcoal filter and adding a cotton filter?

This is all speculation and looking at designs. Overall I am impressed with the factory design, all while trying to please CARB. Direct intake design and large exhaust system.
Back to the title of this thread..."rarely" and "not by much" :) But some of them sound really nice!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^Lol, right on. I will add a drop in, in hopes of that nice sound. Will see

RueferChi

Reaction score
I’m popping in a Spectre Performance filter later today. We’ll see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
lmao i averaged 17 mpg on a 200 mile trip

SupremeWill

Reaction score
I went with a Veraram over stock. I like personalizing my truck and my butt Dyno says there is a drastic improvement over the stock intake and I enjoy the deeper sound of the motor.

Just this guy's vote....
Custom wheels don't add any benefit but we're not about to start telling people they are a bad idea....are we?

KRField

Reaction score
I went with a Veraram over stock. I like personalizing my truck and my butt Dyno says there is a drastic improvement over the stock intake and I enjoy the deeper sound of the motor.

Just this guy's vote....
Custom wheels don't add any benefit but we're not about to start telling people they are a bad idea....are we?

Totally agree. Yes, there is the aesthetic aspect, which is why some will spend the $700ish on the Mopar option. I’m guilty of dropping money for looks and sounds. I was just curious on the actual performance benefits.

j517

Reaction score
Totally agree. Yes, there is the aesthetic aspect, which is why some will spend the $700ish on the Mopar option. I’m guilty of dropping money for looks and sounds. I was just curious on the actual performance benefits.

im with you on that 1 borla exhaust going to order in a couple of months i want to see what the resonator option is they are comming out with

j517

Reaction score

Just this guy's vote....
lmao i miss my bus

my wallet felt super heavy when i traded in for my ram must have spent over 10k on upgrades
7702d6f0a71e8c5408cb27c512df02e2.jpg

KRField

Reaction score
im with you on that 1 borla exhaust going to order in a couple of months i want to see what the resonator option is they are comming out with

I have the Borla type s muffler replacement with stock resonators. It sounds good. Of course I would like it louder, but did not want to deal wit 7-8 hour hauls with the atak system resonating off an enclosed trailer. So this a happy medium.

Yes I spent more on accessories than it was worth. I really miss my old truck 365k of pure bliss miles, and a lot of quality garage time.
fadee901f642c8f8908d5facb6f46010.jpg

Then unfortunate events with hydroplaning.
ddbfd25e838377e3972a40157dd5d73a.jpg

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just this guy's vote....
I’m all with ya man!! One of the intakes I’ve looked at. It’s everyones truck and coin to spend on it. What ever it takes to be enthusiastic about our rams, I’m game!!

I’ve spent foolishly in past on vehicles. Many times overlapping or whole removal on mods. I don’t want to waste my money anymore or others do the same as I’ve done.
With matters like these just as wheels and tires and other stuff. Trying to stay informative and non judgmental of every product. At the same, myself and everyone else giving people that may not know, or do. Some decently sound advice or different way of looking at the mod road being traveled. People see performance products, numbers and go crazy.

Since we are here on intakes...To be real on the intake subject of who what where. It’s going to be months if not years before tuners(actual individual people) outside the company brand, tuning these trucks to say what is what about intakes or any other power mod of true does or not worth it.

j517

Reaction score
I have the girls type s muffler replacement with stock resonators. It sounds good. Of course I would like it louder, but did not want to deal wit 7-8 hour hauls with the atak system resonating off an enclosed trailer. So this a happy medium.

Yes I spent more on accessories than it was worth. I really miss my old truck 365k of pure bliss miles, and a lot of quality garage time.
fadee901f642c8f8908d5facb6f46010.jpg

Then unfortunate events with hydroplaning.
ddbfd25e838377e3972a40157dd5d73a.jpg

WOW hope u ok

j517

Reaction score
look at the S&B it is enclosed with a cone type filter you have an option to leave it open to draw in more air and its fair priced

KRField

Reaction score
WOW hope u ok

Physically yes, emotionally no. It wasn’t bad I was only doing 35-40. The issue was the age of the truck and air bag deployment. I barley even moved on impact. Air bag never touched me. The other people were fine as well. So all was as good as could be.

Users who are viewing this thread