5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can of Worms: Does a CAI Actually Benefit and Improve on the Stock Design?

KRField

Reaction score
I was look at some CAI and looking at the stock design. This stock design is probably the best design I have seen on a stock setup. It actually grabs air from the grill and not the fender with a pretty direct route to the throttle body. The only flaws I could find was the Charcoal filter (very restrictive as test with a shop vac) and stock filter. I could see both coupled together being the Achilles heel of the air flow.

Looking at the aftermarket options, aside from Vararam, they are the basic design of the factory setup. The AFE for example only replaces the top half the system and keeps the factory induction. The Vararam is the only system that is a true redesign, however with the active shutters on this truck may pose a hinderence to the Vararam design.

So is there a huge benefit to replacement as opposed removal of the charcoal filter and adding a cotton filter?

This is all speculation and looking at designs. Overall I am impressed with the factory design, all while trying to please CARB. Direct intake design and large exhaust system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
Well it seems cold air intakes are like butt holes everyone has one. The 1 thing I can say is this k&n air raid volant s&b all make that look *** sound like your engine is really getting a buck load of cold air. Performance gains who knows etc.... all it know for sure is this if u want that kool sound go for it. You gots to pay if you want to play.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Honestly looking at this stock intake I feel the same way, all these guys spending $300+ are basically throwing their money away if they're looking for performance gains. Without adding fuel and some timing (which most aren't), just adding "colder" air isn't going to do much. Now if You're looking for a better sound then that makes a little more sense, but people claiming they can feel more power after an intake is just misleading and inaccurate unless they're a human dyno.

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
I ran CIA in all my previous vehicles great sound. On my taco a I had to take it off when I dropped a trd supercharger in it it was running to rich. But aside from that the ones that had it it was for the kool *** sound.

I saw. Mopar makes a CIA what a piece of . It sounded just like the stock one. I guess if u have that sport hood and make it functional it may be worth it.

In some ways I believe it's a way for ram/dodge to f u with ur money since they can put those CIA in the vehicle from the factory as standard option but they want to charge u like 400 or 500 bucks after they sell u a 30k+ vehicle

KRField

Reaction score
As far as sound, I took the carbon filter off and got improved sound.

I’m not worried about sound from an intake. If I want under the hood sound that will be in the form of pro charger. Which may happen down the road.

Just an observation here. Without the carbon filter and stock air filter there has been a slight noticeable throttle response and slight increase in mpg off of evic reading. Only .4-5 increase.

I’m looking for performance without wasting $$$ on unnecessary items. Plan is exhaust manifolds or long tubes, possibly new y pipe, 87mm throttle body, mild super charger, tune.

It may be me but unless the Vararam proves new numbers with the DT truck (air is from grill not fender like on gen4’s) I’m just not seeing the need to “improve” the intake.

As far as the sport hood, you need to cut the hood support metal to gain venting the engine compartment. Then, it looks the way the Vararam is designed the vents aren’t near the scoops. I could be totally wrong as I have neither. As far as mopar option, it’s a total money grab at over double the price of similar options. I can put a decal on a Vararam that says mopar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. With the exception of the stock filter and the charcoal, the stock setup is pretty damn good. I took the charcoal filter out and dropped in a high performance Green Filter. Good enough for me unless somebody shows me some true numbers.

KRField

Reaction score
I agree. With the exception of the stock filter and the charcoal, the stock setup is pretty **** good. I took the charcoal filter out and dropped in a high performance Green Filter. Good enough for me unless somebody shows me some true numbers.

I have always used K&n drop ins. Not to expect any gains, but cost effectiveness since I keep vehicles long term.

I was looking at AFE dyno runs and wonder if it’s their design or just lack of carbon filter and a better flowing filter. Wish I could justify or had stupid disposable cash to dyno the truck to see. If I had a successful YouTube channel I would do it as I would recoup the expense. I would rather spend the $$$ elsewhere. Maybe someone with the means will do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran CIA in all my previous vehicles great sound. On my taco a I had to take it off when I dropped a trd supercharger in it it was running to rich. But aside from that the ones that had it it was for the kool *** sound.

I saw. Mopar makes a CIA what a piece of . It sounded just like the stock one. I guess if u have that sport hood and make it functional it may be worth it.

In some ways I believe it's a way for ram/dodge to f u with ur money since they can put those CIA in the vehicle from the factory as standard option but they want to charge u like 400 or 500 bucks after they sell u a 30k+ vehicle

That’s what a business pretty much does. That’s the whole point of having a business. Is to make money by selling things.

j517

Reaction score
I understand that but I would not buy from mopar it looks like a piece of I would buy an s&b CIA

j517

Reaction score
Bored I think we just talking about CAI and I am getting a lesson in business 101

j517

Reaction score
Is that stock filter, interesting I have not driven or messed with a gas eng in about 10 years. I believe Ford was still using paper filters.

j517

Reaction score
Filter looks expensive if it has that charcoal in it

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the theoretical benefit of the charcoal filter?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ it’s emissions device to trap oil droplets in escaping air out of engine when it is at rest .there is no benefit but to do as I described. if anything it hurts engine performance

j517

Reaction score
California stupid f***ck Jerry idiotic brown strikes again.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a catch can, you almost eliminate that hold aspect of needing that filter.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't looked, but does it affect the seal of the filter by taking it out?

Users who are viewing this thread