5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can of Worms: Does a CAI Actually Benefit and Improve on the Stock Design?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the oem charcoal filter is hurting performance and MPG?

Am I able to use a green filter without any problems?

Will the green filter hurt my engine as it’s a oiled filter?

j517

Reaction score
There is a YouTube video cold air intake myth busted. They dyno a stock Honda s2000 and it showed some gains. I tried to get the link but can't get the url.

I don't know if this will work
b62e3798a26c51475cb16792ac837b9b.jpg
16c47ae50634c8123e6e9842c004ea5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll maybe try this and an AEM or aFe dry filter. The AEM is $30 cheaper....

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll maybe try this and an AEM or aFe dry filter. The AEM is $30 cheaper....
IMO if you or anyone wants to try it out and see for cheaper route before possibly getting a full intake. I’d just go with a spectra filter and pull charcoal filter. It’s made by k&n. And 1/4 the price of any drop in out there.

j517

Reaction score
I luv s&b had one on my f250 diesel

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I'll probably just do the Airraid Jr. Kit. Most of the gains of a CAI are going to be in smoothing the flow of the tube between the TB and the air box. The Airraid Jr. Kit is just the filter and smooth tube. Nice gains from it for $180. Way less than most CAI.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ I’ve looked as I wanted to try and build my own or options. Couldn’t find one for the ‘19s. Still though your almost hitting 200$ at that point. I’d then feel that I might as well buy a whole kit. 50ish instead of 300ish I’d feel warm and fuzzy about. Almost 200ish to 300. Idk. I agree with you on your statement. And 100$ is 100$... at that point idk, I’d end up in the realm I should of stayed low end or should of went all the way.
Though I’m weird like that. Lol, guess I’ve miss spent some much money over small to big builds though the years. Call it frugal or finally just smart about the mod road trailed. Haha

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
U can open the intake box on the 2019 with out tools is it because the charcoal filter?.

Man Ca and its stupidity on emissions if you change out your CIA would u need a an oil catch can? Hmmmmm

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^the “carbon” filter sits in the lid. Unscrew the 4 screws and flip the lid there it is.
It’s not just a catch can to be the total fix. As the argument would be possible fuel vapors from last injection event at shut off sitting in/at intake valve/port. Those vapors could escape become airborne

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^the “carbon” filter sits in the lid. Unscrew the 4 screws and flip the lid there it is.
It’s not just a catch can to be the total fix. As the argument would be possible fuel vapors from last injection event at shut off sitting in/at intake valve/port. Those vapors could escape become airborne

Which is a hazzard to the environment... Not the engine? Without the catch can, the vapors and oil can be circulated back into the engine causing buildup? Is this the case even with the charcoal filter installed?

Just trying to understand.

j517

Reaction score
So we should not mod these vehicles I was going to get a CIA but I am going to hold off i am getting a catch can first then see what other preventive measures I am going to take to protect my investment.

Why do the manufacturers not install an catch can if they know it's bad for the vehicles. I know its money they are going to make but still we all pay good money for these vehicles for the manufacturers just wanting to get over on the consumers

Corporate greed

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ with out a catch can, yes dirty oil and crankcase vapors will still circulate back into engine with carbon filter installed.

j517

Reaction score
I saw some dude on YouTube saying they were worthless I never knew there was such a device. The Toyota techs would clean out my taco's throttle body every so often from carbon build up. I guess if I had an catch can i may not have to have that done

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has been documented that continuous oil ingesting into combustion cambers does change air/fuel ratios over time. That oil especially over time will become more contaminated as engine ages. Oil is a great holder

j517

Reaction score

Says that catch cans are worthless but yet he says he would put 1 on if its free

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s a perfect fix. Long years of reading/talking on the hemis and LS engines for that matter. They eat a lot of oil. Many long time enthusiasts of both recommend not demanding to have one.
For me, I got a surprisingly quality one for 50$ on eBay. Last time I looked outlet to manifold was still completely dry. It’s just a peace of mind with out getting down and dirty into specific stuff. Just like my much shorter maintenance mileages I will be using compared to others.

Users who are viewing this thread