5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t start Truck w remote or App. Key doesn’t work

DanD

Reaction score
So I can’t start my truck with remote or app. And here’s the kicker the key won’t even unlock the door to get inside the truck. Anyone ever have the same issue?

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Do u mean the physical key that u can remove from the fob won’t unlock the drivers side door as well? Once ur able to get in, try holding the non key side of the fob against the bush button to try and start it. I’ve read that may work.

Remote start using the fob or app won’t work if ur low on gas, a check engine light is on or the hood is open. Or their could be something completely else wrong that others on here may be more aware of than me.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Do u mean the physical key that u take u can remove from the fob won’t unlock the drivers side door as well? Once ur able to get in, try holding the non key side of the fob against the bush button to try and start it. I’ve read that may work.
Yup the physical key won’t work. I can’t even get in the truck.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Yup the physical key won’t work. I can’t even get in the truck.

That's really weird. Being that is mechanical and using the app or fob is electronic. I’m not sure if the direction matters, but have u tried inserting the key both ways while trying to unlock the door?

DanD

Reaction score
That's really weird. Being that is mechanical and using the app or fob is electronic. I’m not sure if the direction matters, but have u tried inserting the key both ways while trying to unlock the door?
Yea tried both ways. Now that stores are open here going to get some of that heating liquid just in case it’s frozen in there. If that doesn’t work only other potion is to get it towed to dealership. Never had this issue with the key.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife’s GC did this a month or so ago. We were able to open the door using the blade out of the fob, then I disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes and reconnected. This rebooted the RF module and key has worked since.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I can’t start my truck with remote or app. And here’s the kicker the key won’t even unlock the door to get inside the truck. Anyone ever have the same issue?

I sincerely regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, Dan. We kindly recommend following up with your local Ram dealer on this if you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here.

Mark
RamCares

DanD

Reaction score
Sorry day from hell yesterday. So here’s what happened and the resolution.
It was a high of 18 degrees yesterday so I think that didn’t help with the physical key. I had to try a ton of times using the key to open the door. I sprayed WD-40 nothing. I had to get a silicon spray and that final let me use the physical key. It literally felt I was going to break the key off in the lock. It’s weird is no rain recently or snow. Maybe just a good amount of moisture? Who knows.
Had roadside come to tow but first they sent a kid with a Prius to jump me with a battery jumper nothing happened. Then had to wait over an hour for a tow. I was nervous cause it was locked in Park. If you didn’t know there’s a manual release. The door is left Of the hood release button. Got it towed to dealership. They took a look and had to replace the wires to the fuse box. I asked whatwas wrong with them and all they would say is they were bad and damaged. I asked how and they said probably during assembly. Idk but it works fine now.
hope this might help someone in the future.

ramhead

Reaction score
It was a high of 18 degrees yesterday so I think that didn’t help with the physical key. I had to try a ton of times using the key to open the door. I sprayed WD-40 nothing. I had to get a silicon spray and that final let me use the physical key. It literally felt I was going to break the key off in the lock. It’s weird is no rain recently or snow. Maybe just a good amount of moisture? Who knows.
Had roadside come to tow but first they sent a kid with a Prius to jump me with a battery jumper nothing happened. Then had to wait over an hour for a tow. I was nervous cause it was locked in Park. If you didn’t know there’s a manual release. The door is left Of the hood release button. Got it towed to dealership. They took a look and had to replace the wires to the fuse box. I asked whatwas wrong with them and all they would say is they were bad and damaged. I asked how and they said probably during assembly. Idk but it works fine now.

Is this a 2020 Ram? How long have you had it before issue surfaced? I'm assuming it's fairly new since if it was a bad assembly/wiring issue as they say it would have shown up in the first few weeks of ownership.

DanD

Reaction score
Is this a 2020 Ram? How long have you had it before issue surfaced? I'm assuming it's fairly new since if it was a bad assembly/wiring issue as they say it would have shown up in the first few weeks of ownership.
This is a 2019. I’ve had it for a moth now. Bought used because it had 8,000 on it. Original owner bought in March.

ramhead

Reaction score
This is a 2019. I’ve had it for a moth now. Bought used because it had 8,000 on it. Original owner bought in March.

Hmmm...do you think the original owner knew of issue & foisted off on you thinking it was a lemon? Sure sounds like it. Anyhow, you got it fixed so good luck....hope that solves it.

Snakes709

Reaction score

had the same issue with mine. Truck wouldnt detect the fob at all. Neither key would work. That was the last straw, ended up trading the truck in.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thank you for sharing this update, Dan. I am glad to hear that your dealer was able to identify the source of your concern and that you are no longer experiencing this. Should you experience any additional trouble down the road, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for additional support.

Mark
RamCares

RiskReward

Reaction score
Hmmm...do you think the original owner knew of issue & foisted off on you thinking it was a lemon? Sure sounds like it. Anyhow, you got it fixed so good luck....hope that solves it.

had the same issue with mine. Truck wouldnt detect the fob at all. Neither key would work. That was the last straw, ended up trading the truck in.

I think we have our answer!

Snakes709

Reaction score
I think we have our answer!

except mine had 15,700kms on it when i traded it in. But yea, same concept. New owner needs to add air to the tires. Keep getting monthly health reports from ram even though I unsubscribed.

Last edited:

RiskReward

Reaction score
except mine had 15,700kms on it when i traded it in. But yea, concept. New owner needs to add air to the tires. Keep getting monthly health reports from ram even though I unsubscribed.

That made me laugh out loud. Frustrating. Like getting a new phone number in reverse.

ramhead

Reaction score
Sorry finally took a picture of the dealerships diagnosis. View attachment 47202

Thanks for that.....it makes no sense though that there would be corroded wires that soon on a nearly new truck - unless maybe there had been water intrusion into the fuse box or something. Do you know if this truck had a water leak issue in the past?

DanD

Reaction score
Thanks for that.....it makes no sense though that there would be corroded wires that soon on a nearly new truck - unless maybe there had been water intrusion into the fuse box or something. Do you know if this truck had a water leak issue in the past?
I don’t. When I asked how it would happen, they said it must have something when they did the assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread