5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t believe this gas hog

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have any of you with 3.92’s seen a drop in RPM at highway speed with taller tires than stock?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Dang 25 cents difference? Upstate NY it's almost a dollar to 1.05 from 87 to 89
My bad. It's actually .50 cents a gallon more. I fuel up on the Pennsylvania/Delaware border. Alot of people from PA fuel up in Delaware because it's about .30 cents a gallon cheaper.

Last edited:

Brisoup1

Reaction score
3.92 gear ratio will see around 2000prm at higher speeds (which definitely sucks gas)
That's about right. I actually wanted to get the 3.31 gear with my truck. The 3.92 gearing was the only thing I didn't want with my truck. The dealer gave me a purchase price I couldn't refuse so I'll just live with it.

bigwidge

Reaction score
Actually, That 20.1 MPG is pretty good for a 5000 lb+ truck with a V8 Hemi in it. Does your truck have the E-torque engine? My truck has the non E torque Hemi in it.
The best I averaged so far is 18.9 mpg on a 250 mile round trip (Mostly turnpike driving with the A/C on doing 75-80 MPH).
During mostly stop & go driving, I average 13.8 MPG. All of this is while running on 89 octane fuel. I've noticed I average about 1.5 mpg better mpg than running on 87 octane. The verdict is still out on weather it's cost efficent to pay the extra .50 cents a gallon to achieve 1.5 mpg better fuel economy.

These numbers are right on par with mine. Road trips I'm getting around 18, but my daily drive I'm hovering around the 14 mpg mark.

cw_mi

Reaction score
Pretty much the only thing I'm disappointed about with my truck, is the mileage. I've got 4700 miles on it and the best I've seen so far has been 17.5 on a hilly back road road trip running 60-63mph. My daily commute, which is only a total of 16 miles I generally see 13 ish. I've got 3.92 gears.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Mine has been doing great, I have been getting 21-22 MPG highway and 14-15 towing my boat. Cant beat it

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
I only have a little over 2k miles on mine, with the 3.92 gears, and just took a 900 mile road trip on i95 (FLa to SC and back) and with upper highway speeds, I got around 17 MPG. I wish I has the lower 3.31 gears as well.. But like Brisoup1 said, I couldn't pass up on the deal at the time.. Plus with all the rain, I'm driving in 4wd Auto...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see some details from someone with the 3.31 gear and highway speeds, like 70-75 mph.
If you do mean 3.31, then the reason you haven't seen any is because it doesn't exist.

If it was a typo and you meant 3.21, there are 1000s of posts here about the 3.21 at highway speeds.

The gas mileage, rear gear debates all include too many variables to ever get an honest feel for anything other than the truck you command and the way you lead it to battle.

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
If you do mean 3.31, then the reason you haven't seen any is because it doesn't exist.

If it was a typo and you meant 3.21, there are 1000s of posts here about the 3.21 at highway speeds.

The gas mileage, rear gear debates all include too many variables to ever get an honest feel for anything other than the truck you command and the way you lead it to battle.
Yes, it was a typo, thanks..

cw_mi

Reaction score
Why couldn't they offer something like a 3:42 or 3:55 gear. The 3:21 just seemed so high for towing when I ordered mine. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Reaction score
We just took an 800+ mile round trip to Hot Springs Arkansas from Southeast Texas over the weekend and averaged 21ish on the roads in LA and AR where max speed is 65 if lucky. When back on real roads in Texas at 75+ was down to 18.5 - 19mpg. Not bad but my '14 would average 21+mpg at those same speeds. Of course that was well broken in and 2wd vs 4wd.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never checked mine at the pump and I think I've only looked at it on the dashboard once. I figure my truck probably gets somewhere between 10-20 MPG, depending on where I'm driving, how I'm driving, and what I'm hauling, which is about what I'd expect for a truck :)

As for going to PA to get a Yuengling because of Texas, well hell you've got Shiner Bock down there. That's a better beer than Yuengling anyway :)

19ramsport

Reaction score
I have a short work commute (city driving, 35mph or less roads) and seem to get 14mpg no matter which V8 truck I owned (GM, Ford). Now I'm about to get the Ram 5.7 with the 3.92 gears, I'm sure I'll get around the same mpgs, but sounds like I'll get a little less on the highway though due to the 3.92's. But no big deal, don't drive on highway trips that much and usually as a family we will just take the wife's SUV on road trips.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far I’m really impressed with my mileage, had the truck a week, have 250 miles on it and very little of it has been highway and it’s been idling a lot the last few day’s because it’s been hot and the AC in my truck sucks. Total mpg is 16.9, that’s not bad IMO.

Tundralag

Reaction score
I have never checked mine at the pump and I think I've only looked at it on the dashboard once. I figure my truck probably gets somewhere between 10-20 MPG, depending on where I'm driving, how I'm driving, and what I'm hauling, which is about what I'd expect for a truck :)

As for going to PA to get a Yuengling because of Texas, well hell you've got Shiner Bock down there. That's a better beer than Yuengling anyway :)
Well the truth of the matter is if I wanted real good beer I would go back to Hohenfels Germany and get Winkler Brau Kupfer Special.. best beer in the world.. BAR NONE..
But since I am going for three reasons.. Road trip with the new truck.. Kill Bambi and his mom and dad.. See my dad who is 93 this year..
but ya the Yuengling is just a beer to drink with my Venison smothered in onions... Shiner is my Texas beer no doubt..

Users who are viewing this thread