5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAI or exhaust first?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think there are test that show they do affect restriction, they put them on all sorts of different vehicles these days, I think there are some videos posted online. I mean it is more filtering material on top of a paper one. It has to cause more restriction.

That being said, my concern is it's meant to be lifetime and non-replaceable. But charcoal isn't lifetime, it gets filled up and no longer functions. Then there is the fear it will break apart with age and get ingested in the engine. The materials doesn't look long life to me, I wouldn't trust it for too long.

I rather just remove it entirely to remove that possibility.
It may not hurt to leave it on, but it definitely won’t hurt to remove it. Might as well chunk it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think there are test that show they do affect restriction, they put them on all sorts of different vehicles these days, I think there are some videos posted online. I mean it is more filtering material on top of a paper one. It has to cause more restriction.

That being said, my concern is it's meant to be lifetime and non-replaceable. But charcoal isn't lifetime, it gets filled up and no longer functions. Then there is the fear it will break apart with age and get ingested in the engine. The materials doesn't look long life to me, I wouldn't trust it for too long.

I rather just remove it entirely to remove that possibility.
There are a lot of people posting about it as if it's some huge restriction. I removed mine, but after taking it out, I just don't see how it would be any more restrictive than the air filter itself. if it does make a difference you would need fine tuned precision instruments. Nothing a dyno will ever be able to accurately measure as there could be 5-10hp difference between runs without making any changes. It's not something everyone needs to take apart the intake to remove. Maybe if you already have it off for something else, then take the couple minutes to remove it

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are a lot of people posting about it as if it's some huge restriction. I removed mine, but after taking it out, I just don't see how it would be any more restrictive than the air filter itself. if it does make a difference you would need fine tuned precision instruments. Nothing a dyno will ever be able to accurately measure as there could be 5-10hp difference between runs without making any changes. It's not something everyone needs to take apart the intake to remove. Maybe if you already have it off for something else, then take the couple minutes to remove it

Sure, I don't think it's a huge restriction, but there is likely some, and might as well remove it if it doesn't do anything at all, like filtering gas fumes since the carbon is already filled up. My main worry is it disintegrating over time and having bits fall into the engine, it doesn't look like a lifetime element.

As for removing the cover, it's pretty easy, just one hose clamp. I would do it just in case you didn't make a clean cut and left some particles in the box cutting the plastic rivets, wouldn't want that falling into the engine. I would do it during an air filter change, worth the extra 5 minutes.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It won’t make any hp increase on a stock motor for sure. Less crap to worry about the better imo

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's very true cold air intakes do increase HP.
The Ram 1500 already comes with a cold air intake from the factory as do almost all modern cars\trucks.
It is true that Rams come with a Cai. Adding an aftermarket Cai will net you exactly NO hp or mileage gains. It's utter mythology.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That just makes me think of this guy
View attachment 164463
Over the Top

1691157418238.png

iu

Users who are viewing this thread