5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAI or exhaust first?

mynameisante

Reaction score
CAI or exhaust first? Or should I just wait to put both on together?

Those are the only two performance and fuel enhancing mods I want to do. Unless you guys have good sources to to talk me into adding on a tuner. I won't go further than that. Not building a race truck, just want a little extra power for fun and if it helps with MPG. Obviously I want the sound of the HEMI up as well

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My only concern for the CAI is the powertrain warranty. Which is why so many here go with the rather pricey Mopar intake. The 3rd party intakes, I would recommend asking your service advisor to make sure they won't try to void your engine warranty.

Exhaust, after cat, go crazy. However, neither without a tune is going to do much but change the sound. You will likely gain a small amount of hp, but likely not enough to notice with a 6,000 lbs truck.

You are better off using a pedal commander type upgrade, which changes the throttle ratio to make it feel "livelier".

mynameisante

Reaction score
My only concern for the CAI is the powertrain warranty. Which is why so many here go with the rather pricey Mopar intake. The 3rd party intakes, I would recommend asking your service advisor to make sure they won't try to void your engine warranty.

Exhaust, after cat, go crazy. However, neither without a tune is going to do much but change the sound. You will likely gain a small amount of hp, but likely not enough to notice with a 6,000 lbs truck.

You are better off using a pedal commander type upgrade, which changes the throttle ratio to make it feel "livelier".
I have a PC somewhere in my garage that I had in my previous RAM. I'll throw that on

You're from SD, too? I float around Alpine and Clairemont

mynameisante

Reaction score
No performance benefits to be found with either. Exhaust will get you better sound. CAI is just to show off if you open your hood. No worries about warranty with either.
Yeah, I figured as much regarding power. I thought maybe I can get a little extra "mmph" out of it, but guess not. I guess I'll just do an exhaust for sound and throw my old Pedal Commander on and call it a day. That'll save me some money, too

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have a PC somewhere in my garage that I had in my previous RAM. I'll throw that on

You're from SD, too? I float around Alpine and Clairemont

Cool. I'm around Eastlake Chula Vista, sometimes I'll venture up to Sorrento Valley where my office is, maybe 1 day a week :)

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

^^^ this

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do most people not realize the oem intake is a cold air intake? It’s a damn god on at that. It’s sealed with a lower intake tube for cooler air. throw a better filter in it and call it a day.
They are on just about every vehicle since the 90s. It’s not “cool” tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do most people not realize the oem intake is a cold air intake? It’s a damn god on at that. It’s sealed with a lower intake tube for cooler air. throw a better filter in it and call it a day.
No one said it wasnt a cold air intake...
Changing the intake can help on some cars/trucks even if they already have cold air intakes, which pretty much everything does now.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You could also remove the factory charcoal filter on air box lid to improve airflow along with a high-quality, secure fitting aftermarket performance air filter.

I recommend removing the air box lid first before you cut the charcoal filter out to prevent any pieces of plastic entering the engine. Also, if you use a K&N or other drop-in filter, make sure the gasket has a solid seal. Some K&N filters don't have a thick enough gasket and actually let unfiltered air into the engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You could also remove the factory charcoal filter on air box lid to improve airflow along with a high-quality, secure fitting aftermarket performance air filter.

I recommend removing the air box lid first before you cut the charcoal filter out to prevent any pieces of plastic entering the engine. Also, if you use a K&N or other drop-in filter, make sure the gasket has a solid seal. Some K&N filters don't have a thick enough gasket and actually let unfiltered air into the engine.
I'd be highly surprised if that charcoal filter actually caused any extra restriction above what the normal air filter already has.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'd be highly surprised if that charcoal filter actually caused any extra restriction above what the normal air filter already has.

I think there are test that show they do affect restriction, they put them on all sorts of different vehicles these days, I think there are some videos posted online. I mean it is more filtering material on top of a paper one. It has to cause more restriction.

That being said, my concern is it's meant to be lifetime and non-replaceable. But charcoal isn't lifetime, it gets filled up and no longer functions. Then there is the fear it will break apart with age and get ingested in the engine. The materials doesn't look long life to me, I wouldn't trust it for too long.

I rather just remove it entirely to remove that possibility.

mynameisante

Reaction score
So the jury votes to just get the Borla Atak and keep the air filter I've got, just make sure I swap it out regularly with a quality one? Got it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread