5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bypass Media Hub

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could also just try replacing the hub. It's only $45 and to me that's well below the threshold of hassling with the dealer - even under warranty. Mine completely died and I just replaced it myself. Getting to it is easy. The hardest part is getting it to release from the console with two tabs on the top and bottom. I used several small screwdrivers between the console and the hub and it just pulls out.

Here's the one I bought - check your own fitment: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-media-hub-usb-port-68397098ae

Oh, and this is an AE revision whereas my original '19 was an AD meaning they changed/fixed something or it's a new supplier. I haven't noticed any magic new fairy dust coming out of it - it just works.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You could also just try replacing the hub. It's only $45 and to me that's well below the threshold of hassling with the dealer - even under warranty. Mine completely died and I just replaced it myself. Getting to it is easy. The hardest part is getting it to release from the console with two tabs on the top and bottom. I used several small screwdrivers between the console and the hub and it just pulls out.

Here's the one I bought - check your own fitment: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-media-hub-usb-port-68397098ae

Oh, and this is an AE revision whereas my original '19 was an AD meaning they changed/fixed something or it's a new supplier. I haven't noticed any magic new fairy dust coming out of it - it just works.
He said he has had it replaced by dealer already and it didn't help.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score

If someone could absolutely tell me it has been fixed I would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is Ram/Dealer haven’t acknowledged that it is an issue. Did some research last night and found some interesting stuff. For Automotive USB applications they use thermal resistors. So basically to try and shut down if it detects a short the resistors stop current as they heat up. They self reset when the temperature goes down. But for automotive applications they should be able to go up to 125°C (257°F) but can be built to spec. I think Ram has a bad batch or put their tolerances way too low.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone could absolutely tell me it has been fixed I would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is Ram/Dealer haven’t acknowledged that it is an issue. Did some research last night and found some interesting stuff. For Automotive USB applications they use thermal resistors. So basically to try and shut down if it detects a short the resistors stop current as they heat up. They self reset when the temperature goes down. But for automotive applications they should be able to go up to 125°C (257°F) but can be built to spec. I think Ram has a bad batch or put their tolerances way too low.

10-4
Sorry I missed the part about you having two replacements. But maybe look at the paperwork and see if they replaced them with AD units vs. the new AE? If you've got AE then that clearly doesn't solve your issue.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
10-4
Sorry I missed the part about you having two replacements. But maybe look at the paperwork and see if they replaced them with AD units vs. the new AE? If you've got AE then that clearly doesn't solve your issue.

Just looked and the part listed on the paperwork is 68272254AE. I am going to order a new one and hope that it was a bad batch of resistors.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Got any pics or vids of the replacement process? Thx

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I watched this guys vid on how to remove the center console. 6 bolts. Doesn’t seem that bad unless I’m missing something.

Ah so you have the remove the center console. I thought it would be accessible from behind the center stack. I think all you have to do for that is pull on it.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ah so you have the remove the center console. I thought it would be accessible from behind the center stack. I think all you have to do for that is pull on it.

That’s what I was thinking. Not sure how else you can get access to it.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. Not sure how else you can get access to it.

Yes, no video but here's the short version from memory.

1. Remove bolt covers and four bolts from F/R of center console. You don't even have to unload it first.
  2. Pull console towards rear of truck. There is enough cable play to allow this.
  3. Unplug two USB mini cables and larger electrical cable from rear of hub.
  4. Remove hub. This took me longer than the rest combined the first time. If you look at the new one, you'll see 4 spring tabs on the outside of it (2 top, 2 bottom) that lock into the sleeve it's mounted in that is molded into the console. You obviously don't want to jack the sleeve up as the new one won't fit right and replacing it involves replacing a significant part of the console. What worked for me was to shim in four feeler gauges between the hub and sleeve that held down the spring tabs. That allowed it to slide right out towards the front of the truck.
  5. Simply slide in the replacement hub, put everything back, and Bob's your uncle.

Barqs

Reaction score
My Carplay stopped working this week, so I've been diving into these forums to see what people are dealing with. We are in Alabama, so heat isn't new to us either. But this is the first year I've had issues with Carplay during the summer heat. I find that strange, but not impossible to believe. Today was the first day where it died completely and didn't recover, so I was going to let it sit in the shade for a bit before running off to buy a new hub. But it does sound like that will be my next step. Hoping RAM Cares responds and lets me know that they are willing to repair it for free outside of warranty to help them build a STAR case on this issue. If they only offer the part for free, I'll do it myself. I can imagine the dealership charging at least 2 hours for this replacement, so a "free" $35 part would likely cost about $250 to replace.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Carplay stopped working this week, so I've been diving into these forums to see what people are dealing with. We are in Alabama, so heat isn't new to us either. But this is the first year I've had issues with Carplay during the summer heat. I find that strange, but not impossible to believe. Today was the first day where it died completely and didn't recover, so I was going to let it sit in the shade for a bit before running off to buy a new hub. But it does sound like that will be my next step. Hoping RAM Cares responds and lets me know that they are willing to repair it for free outside of warranty to help them build a STAR case on this issue. If they only offer the part for free, I'll do it myself. I can imagine the dealership charging at least 2 hours for this replacement, so a "free" $35 part would likely cost about $250 to replace.
Ram won't send an owner a free warranty part to install themselves

Barqs

Reaction score
Ram won't send an owner a free warranty part to install themselves
Understood. That wasn't the intent of my post, but I wasn't clear. I was saying I'd rather pay $35 for the part than $250 in labor for the "free" part.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Here's the one I bought - check your own fitment: 2019-2020 Ram 1500 Media Hub USB Port 68397098AE | Mopar Estores

I finally had this happen to me. I get 10 minutes of CarPlay, max, before it just disappears (regardless of whether I plug in or use wireless via CPLAY2air. $36 shipped (current pricing) is way better than the hassle of a dealer appointment and $100 deductible for my lifetime warranty...especially if it's just a matter of taking out a few bolts and fiddling with those spring catches. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got 'er installed. Here are my thoughts:
  • Removing the (2) trim pieces flanking the console wasn't too hard, but you do have to work at it a bit to get the top clips (closest to the console) to release.
  • Removing the (6) bolts is the easy part. Thanks to @Dmalonecentral for the link to that video. A gorilla (or improperly torqued robot) must have installed the two front driver's side bolts on mine.
  • I tried (but ultimately gave up on) unplugging the wiring connectors from the back of the media hub while it was in situ. I just don't have anything small enough to reach underneath and loosen the clips.
  • I worked (and worked and worked) at releasing the media hub per @Edwards's suggestions. Ultimately, I only partially succeeded...the "core" of the media hub came out, but it left the "shell" of the hub firmly attached to the back of the console! On the plus side, this allowed me to unplug the old hub and tuck the wires out of the way.
  • I then spent way too much time working at releasing that silly shell. With four small screwdrivers in place, I was eventually able to "push" that part free (with a fifth screwdriver) from the front of the console. It came right out when I finally lined everything up just right. Now, I'd be lying if I told you the old hub sleeve didn't suffer some serious damage during this process, but I was careful to protect any parts I was keeping. Tools are important ;)
  • The new hub plugged right in, and reassembly was quick.
CarPlay fired right up (wirelessly via CPLAY2air), but that was true of the old hub until it warmed up. I'll find out if the hub was the culprit (and not something deeper in the infotainment system) when I do a 2-hour trip tomorrow.

Thanks to all who've contributed here!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got 'er installed. Here are my thoughts:
  • Removing the (2) trim pieces flanking the console wasn't too hard, but you do have to work at it a bit to get the top clips (closest to the console) to release.
  • Removing the (6) bolts is the easy part. Thanks to @Dmalonecentral for the link to that video. A gorilla (or improperly torqued robot) must have installed the two front driver's side bolts on mine.
  • I tried (but ultimately gave up on) unplugging the wiring connectors from the back of the media hub while it was in situ. I just don't have anything small enough to reach underneath and loosen the clips.
  • I worked (and worked and worked) at releasing the media hub per @Edwards's suggestions. Ultimately, I only partially succeeded...the "core" of the media hub came out, but it left the "shell" of the hub firmly attached to the back of the console! On the plus side, this allowed me to unplug the old hub and tuck the wires out of the way.
  • I then spent way too much time working at releasing that silly shell. With four small screwdrivers in place, I was eventually able to "push" that part free (with a fifth screwdriver) from the front of the console. It came right out when I finally lined everything up just right. Now, I'd be lying if I told you the old hub sleeve didn't suffer some serious damage during this process, but I was careful to protect any parts I was keeping. Tools are important ;)
  • The new hub plugged right in, and reassembly was quick.
CarPlay fired right up (wirelessly via CPLAY2air), but that was true of the old hub until it warmed up. I'll find out if the hub was the culprit (and not something deeper in the infotainment system) when I do a 2-hour trip tomorrow.

Thanks to all who've contributed here!
Hope this solves your USB woes. Hopefully it works during the hot months. 🤞🏻

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did that install back in December, just over a month ago, and the new media hub did the trick...for about 10 minutes. Then the problem returned.

In hindsight, I didn't do enough testing before replacing the hub.

When my CPLAY2air unit failed on a long drive, I plugged my phone in "the old fashioned way", but this did not resolve the issue (i.e. CarPlay would not work even with a wired connection). I found the same thing to be true with the new media hub (uh-oh). But if I ditched the wireless CarPlay adaptor and plugged in from the get-go (i.e. when the truck was first started), it worked like a champ...even for a 2-day drive!

So, after 3+ solid years, it was the CPLAY2air adapter that died on me after all. At least I learned how to take the console apart.

Based on other reviews I found on this forum (and some of your signatures), I picked up the 2022 revision of Carlinkit 3.0 for $85 shipped on Amazon. It's been working like a champ, and it connects more quickly than the old adapter. Also, for those of you that have one, the latest firmware update (December 2022) looks like they had an actual software engineer work on it (the mobile/phone UI has been much improved).

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did that install back in December, just over a month ago, and the new media hub did the trick...for about 10 minutes. Then the problem returned.

In hindsight, I didn't do enough testing before replacing the hub.

When my CPLAY2air unit failed on a long drive, I plugged my phone in "the old fashioned way", but this did not resolve the issue (i.e. CarPlay would not work even with a wired connection). I found the same thing to be true with the new media hub (uh-oh). But if I ditched the wireless CarPlay adaptor and plugged in from the get-go (i.e. when the truck was first started), it worked like a champ...even for a 2-day drive!

So, after 3+ solid years, it was the CPLAY2air adapter that died on me after all. At least I learned how to take the console apart.

Based on other reviews I found on this forum (and some of your signatures), I picked up the 2022 revision of Carlinkit 3.0 for $85 shipped on Amazon. It's been working like a champ, and it connects more quickly than the old adapter. Also, for those of you that have one, the latest firmware update (December 2022) looks like they had an actual software engineer work on it (the mobile/phone UI has been much improved).
@SpeedyV is your new media hub still failing when sitting out in the sun? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online