5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I bought a 6'4" bed. My bicycles will not fit straight on in the 5"4' bed making carrying more than one bike difficult. I see guys with 5'4" beds with bicycle racks in the trailer hitch.

Also if you fish or ski that extra distance may be the difference between being able to fit your stuff in and close a tonneau cover or not.

The tonneau cover when rolled up might take another 6" out of your bed space for something like a bicycle.

There are real downsides to the longer bed length though. with the 6'4" bed you will be longer than a standard parking space. I've personally never had any trouble living in a densely populated city however it is something to be aware of. I would also recommend the 360 camera, it's a life saver in tight situations.
Even with the 8 foot bed, the bikes sometimes go in a hitch rack

Attachments

• 20200801_100443 (1).jpg
    20200801_100443 (1).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 12

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, but dont' think a short bed will fit in a standard 20' garage either.

A 20 foot garage is significantly smaller than the normal standard garage. A standard 2 car garage is 24x24 or 24x30.

PetePA

Reaction score
A 20 foot garage is significantly smaller than the normal standard garage. A standard 2 car garage is 24x24 or 24x30.
Probably depends on what part of the country. I have a 3 car garage that's only 22' deep. Construction is 2006.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I’m new to the forum and the truck community at large.

I’ve never owned a truck and am set on buying a CPO 1500 laramie crew cab. I found one that seems perfect, but I am torn because it has the 6’4” bed, which I understand is rare with the crew cab.

I am weighing the trade offs between the utility of a larger bed and the potential unwieldy size when it comes to everyday driving. I live in the suburbs and don’t need a truck for work or hauling, but rather for recreational activities like hunting, road trips with three kids and all our crap, and the occassional trip to Lowe’s/HD.

I know the differences on paper, but would love to hear thoughts on the real differences in driving experience between a 5’7 and 6’4. Is it significant? Just a matter of getting used to?

And again, apologies if this topic has been drained. Thanks in advance.
If I could go back, I'd get the 6'4" bed. Not that I NEED it all the time, but it would be nice to have some of the time.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not around here. (Central Ohio) Every new-construction home I've looked at in the last 5-6 years, the garage is usually no deeper that 20-22 feet. I've actually measured them. It's ridiculous that they are made so small, BUT WAIT, with some builders you can opt for additional garage space at $8000+ to get you maybe 3 feet deeper. Sad.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Since you already mentioned it’s not to haul much, garage space, if parking inside, is the next question.
Coming from a 15 limited w/ 6’4” bed to a 23 limited with 5’7” bed, I definitely notice the difference parking in 90 degree spaces, or parallel spaces. We have a lot of those here. If you primarily park in angled, or 45 degree, it’s not gonna make much difference.
I use my truck as a passenger vehicle, not a work/hauling truck. the only time I miss the 6’4” bed is when I put my 6foot folding tables in the back for a cook or event.
that being said, I have Ramboxes, so I can use the cargo management holder as a tailgate extension, it’s just nice to be able to shut the tailgate with those tables.

For bikes, I have a rack, that goes in the hitch, so not a concern for me, but..possibly you.
Never put bikes in the back when I had my 6’4” box, way faster on the rack, and leaving the room in the bed open.
To each their own there…if you even have bikes.

For newer trucks, you can’t get Ram Boxes in the longer bed, and that was a deal breaker for me not having them.

Skiing was also mentioned.

You really have to think about the longer bed, if what you do matters. I know plenty of guys who work with their truck, and opt for 8 foot, standard cabs because they need it.
There is a school of thought longer beds ride smoother, but frankly, you may notice in an 8 foot vs 6 or 5 foot bed, between 5 and 6 on a Ram, doubt you’d notice ride quality.
My first 3 Rams were Quad (2) and Crew all with 6’4”s. this is my first with the 5 footer, I really don’t miss it.

Last edited:

rick619

Reaction score
Most will want the 5' 7" bed. Especially if you've never had a truck before and not using it for work. I'm on my 3rd truck and always get the shorter bed. Just easier to get into parking spaces, backing out, parallel parking, etc. For the most part, if you don't have a need for the larger bed, I wouldn't get it.

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't wait to build my next house and have at least a 25-30' deep garage.

We did that. When we were with the architect drawing our house, I told them my 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD “WILL” fit in the garage. They understood and made it happen. Damn I miss that truck. My current truck fits just fine (crew cab w/ 6’ 4” bed). Still wish the garage was a little longer, but it works fine. I actually made it the third garage area, so it has its own 10’ wide door and keeps my truck a little further from other vehicles.

Davidbt

Reaction score
When I found my used 2021, I'm happy to have found a very low mileage truck with the 3.92's level 2 equipment. I can work with the 5'7 bed. I would prefer the 6'4 bed and would really appreciate a 33 gallon tank. And not wanting e-torq or a 12" screen, the list of trucks got shorter.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I’ve had the larger bed it was nice this time im going with the 5 foot bed mainly for ram boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread