5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I bought a 6'4" bed. My bicycles will not fit straight on in the 5"4' bed making carrying more than one bike difficult. I see guys with 5'4" beds with bicycle racks in the trailer hitch.

Also if you fish or ski that extra distance may be the difference between being able to fit your stuff in and close a tonneau cover or not.

The tonneau cover when rolled up might take another 6" out of your bed space for something like a bicycle.

There are real downsides to the longer bed length though. with the 6'4" bed you will be longer than a standard parking space. I've personally never had any trouble living in a densely populated city however it is something to be aware of. I would also recommend the 360 camera, it's a life saver in tight situations.
Even with the 8 foot bed, the bikes sometimes go in a hitch rack

Attachments

• 20200801_100443 (1).jpg
    20200801_100443 (1).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 3

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, but dont' think a short bed will fit in a standard 20' garage either.

A 20 foot garage is significantly smaller than the normal standard garage. A standard 2 car garage is 24x24 or 24x30.

PetePA

Reaction score
A 20 foot garage is significantly smaller than the normal standard garage. A standard 2 car garage is 24x24 or 24x30.
Probably depends on what part of the country. I have a 3 car garage that's only 22' deep. Construction is 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread