5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulb out message after LED headlight conversion

apereira

Reaction score
I recently installed OEM LED reflector headlights in my Big Horn using a harness from Jimmy07. I updated all of the CBC Features and Config settings with AlfaOBD, but I still get an occasional turn signal bulb out error message. It intermittently happens with both the left and right turn signal, but the turn signals still work even when the message is present. Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with this? Is it possible to just disable the bulb out message? Here is a link to the System ID readout in case I am missing a setting in AlfaOBD. Thanks in advance for the help.

Toperz

Reaction score
I recently installed OEM LED reflector headlights in my Big Horn using a harness from Jimmy07. I updated all of the CBC Features and Config settings with AlfaOBD, but I still get an occasional turn signal bulb out error message. It intermittently happens with both the left and right turn signal, but the turn signals still work even when the message is present. Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with this? Is it possible to just disable the bulb out message? Here is a link to the System ID readout in case I am missing a setting in AlfaOBD. Thanks in advance for the help.
Maybe you missing this:
HID Headlamps Present: No ----> Yes
Ask Jimmy before switching, he was saying somewhere in forum that halogen headlamps have different power control or something

apereira

Reaction score
Thanks. I currently have that set to “No” so maybe that is causing the issue.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue when I replaced my halogen to OEM Led lights. Once in a while I get the error, and yes, the lights still blink. I just live with it.

apereira

Reaction score
I have the same issue when I replaced my halogen to OEM Led lights. Once in a while I get the error, and yes, the lights still blink. I just live with it.
Well it’s good to know that I’m not alone. I wasn’t sure if I had messed something up during the installation. I changed the HID bulbs present setting to YES, but I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet. I’ll report back if that fixes the issue.

apereira

Reaction score
Unfortunately changing “HID bulbs present” to YES did not fix the issue. The error message seems to only come on when I brake quickly and generally goes away when I accelerate. If I decelerate slowly then the message doesn’t come on.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately changing “HID bulbs present” to YES did not fix the issue. The error message seems to only come on when I brake quickly and generally goes away when I accelerate. If I decelerate slowly then the message doesn’t come on.
Maybe @Jimmy07 can shed some light on this.

Toperz

Reaction score
Maybe @Jimmy07 can shed some light on this.
If someone with LED headlamps could share their system log from AlfaOBD we could compare what was changed. I think its voltage related.

CBC Extern.Light Calibr.:
Redundant Front Turn Signal: No
Signature Dropout Enabled: No
Auto Headlamp On Threshold (0-5 V): 3.334 V
Auto Headlamp Off Threshold (0-5 V): 2.530 V
Left Side DRL Voltage Target: 12.2 V
Right Side DRL Voltage Target: 12.2 V
Left Low Beam Voltage Regulation: 13.6 V
Left High Beam Voltage Regulation: 13.6 V
Right Low Beam Voltage Regulation: 13.6 V
Right High Beam Voltage Regulation: 13.6 V
Left Front Corner Voltage: 13.6 V
Right Front Corner Voltage: 13.6 V
Left Rear Corner Voltage: 13.6 V
Right Rear Corner Voltage: 13.6 V

That is from my Ram with halogen headlamps.
Again I'm just guessing.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone with LED headlamps could share their system log from AlfaOBD we could compare what was changed. I think its voltage related.

Again I'm just guessing.
I think halogen lights would have a different threshold then LED lights.

apereira

Reaction score

Again I'm just guessing.
These values match mine. I’m also curious if they differ in trucks equipped with LED from the factory.

apereira

Reaction score
I wanted to provide a quick update. I went to start my truck the other day and it would not start. After doing some tests I concluded that it had a bad battery. I swapped the battery with a new AGM battery and I also changed some of the IBS settings per a recommendation in another forum post to prolong battery life. I increased the minimum voltage from 10V to 13V, the charge rate from 350mAh to 2500mAh, and set the quiescence current limit to 0. After doing this the bulb out messages have gone away almost completely. Before they were happening numerous times during a drive and now it has only happened once in the week since I changed the battery and IBS settings. I just figured I’d share in case this helps anyone else with a similar issue.

Skg74

Reaction score
I wanted to provide a quick update. I went to start my truck the other day and it would not start. After doing some tests I concluded that it had a bad battery. I swapped the battery with a new AGM battery and I also changed some of the IBS settings per a recommendation in another forum post to prolong battery life. I increased the minimum voltage from 10V to 13V, the charge rate from 350mAh to 2500mAh, and set the quiescence current limit to 0. After doing this the bulb out messages have gone away almost completely. Before they were happening numerous times during a drive and now it has only happened once in the week since I changed the battery and IBS settings. I just figured I’d share in case this helps anyone else with a similar issue.
How are things working out? I recently did the Oem led upgrade with Jimmy's harness. At first I got a right turn signal, cleared that and only getting a left turn signal out message.

apereira

Reaction score
I still get the bulb out message for both the left and right turn signals. It usually comes on when I’m sitting at a light for a while and then goes away a few seconds later. It happens probably once or twice a week. Before I replaced the battery the bulb out message would be on nearly every time I used the turn signals. It’s at a point now where it’s tolerable, but I would like to get rid of the messages altogether if someone else on the forum knows a way to do so.

Skg74

Reaction score
I still get the bulb out message for both the left and right turn signals. It usually comes on when I’m sitting at a light for a while and then goes away a few seconds later. It happens probably once or twice a week. Before I replaced the battery the bulb out message would be on nearly every time I used the turn signals. It’s at a point now where it’s tolerable, but I would like to get rid of the messages altogether if someone else on the forum knows a way to do so.
I tried to contact Jim about it and he didn’t respond. I’m not sure what’s going on with it either. Mine doesn’t do it as frequently as yours does though. If I find anything out I’ll let you know.

Shives

Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve been working with a few people here to try an solve this issue. Between 2-3 of us, we feel we may have reached the end!

So, I can also see how some don’t have this issue as well. This is the fix, so we think.

So, when you disconnect the battery or add features they do need a little programming. Like our power windows, when power is removed a relearn is needed for the auto function to work right. Some folks get lucky.

In essence what I have discovered is that these LED lights are the same! If you disconnected the battery or not, does not matter cause it’s the first time the truck has seen the LED turn signals on this pin we must use in the BCM.

So, try this…. Get in your truck, leave door open, put ignition to acc. Then shut the door an turn ignition to run, without hitting the brake pedal. So, everything is on, and truck is NOT running. Start with the right side, and turn on the blinker for 60 flashes… then do the left side. That’s 2 minutes of your time. After this, repeat! Right 60 seconds/flashes… then left 60 seconds/flashes. Then turn on your hazards for 60 flashes! After that turn everything off, an open the door…. shut the door. Wait 60 seconds for the BCM to shut down.

After that, use truck as normal! Let me know how you make out. A few of us have tried this, I’m going on 2 weeks no hyper flash. I thought it might be a wired issue, so I’ve been going backward through the trucks information. Trying a ton of stuff. This, as simple as it sounds…. Our trucks are so smart they need to relearn everything.

Also I noted above how some may not have this issue… am here is why! Some of you MAY have tested the signals and let them flash as many times as they needed when you first installed an tested. If you did, your lucky!

Anyways, I really hope you all have had a great Thanksgiving! Or what ever you celebrate! As always, ask your questions, please hit that like button.

Maybe we can make this a sticky!?

kraz

Reaction score
Any update on this? I just purchased the LED harness from Jimmy07 and would like to know if this issue has been solved before I try installing mine in the cold this weekend.

Skg74

Reaction score
Any update on this? I just purchased the LED harness from Jimmy07 and would like to know if this issue has been solved before I try installing mine in the cold this weekend.
No, I tried multiple times and all different combos. I still have the issue. I might go back to the retro shop harness. It only shows up about once or twice a week. It’s just that it’s not right and it bugs me.

apereira

Reaction score
It’s the same for me as well. I have tried a number of things but the bulb out messages still come on.

JK83

Reaction score
Are you guys still having this issue?

I did the LED install today. Had one turn signal message while driving around afterwards. Cleared quickly on its own.

Skg74

Reaction score
Are you guys still having this issue?

I did the LED install today. Had one turn signal message while driving around afterwards. Cleared quickly on its own.
No, jimmy007 sent me a new harness with two extra wires to wire in the bcm.

Users who are viewing this thread