5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug deflector opinions, do they work?

nbase

Reaction score
So I've seen a couple threads on the bug deflectors, and a bunch of opinions on the different mounting styles and colors, etc. My question is, do they actually reduce bugs on the windshield? I don't know if it's the angle of the windshield on this truck, but this thing gets quite a bit of bugs splattering on it, way more than our car and van.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most newer ones are mostly Hood protectors than actual bug deflectors.

RamMe

Reaction score
I have the oem mopar version and noticed less bugs.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Although I don't have a bug deflector on my truck I do have an OEM bug deflector on my van . My parents have the same van without the bug deflector . I've driven them both up north on the same roads and the same time of day and I certainly get less bugs on mine than with my parents van . I don't know if it would be the same with the truck though .

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They most certainly do work and I highly recommend. It will help with bugs and stones that fly up towards the hood.

LV426

Reaction score
I'll be installing the Mopar black one this evening so Ill follow up and let you know. Been getting creamed by lovebugs and the occasional stone on my rides to work...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll be installing the Mopar black one this evening so Ill follow up and let you know. Been getting creamed by lovebugs and the occasional stone on my rides to work...
The MOPAR one has exposed screws and metal brackets that attach it to the hood. Very poor design. You should look at the WeatherTech units. I bought the MOPAR and got rid of it and went WT.

LV426

Reaction score
Yeah, I took that into consideration when choosing it. After reading and looking at pics I figured I could hit the screw heads with some flat black paint if needed and "adjust" the two end clips that people claim is too tight for the hood (and use the PPF). The matte black and look/profile sold me on it but if sucks i'll send it back.

LV426

Reaction score
Well, installation was so so, the end clips are tight but manageable (I tapped them on with rubber mallet). They didn't line up properly at first, had to remove them & move the PPF which sucked but it worked out. I didn't put the "Bumper/rubber cone things" on the hood as that seemed kind of dumb, they attached fine to under the deflector. I agree, the design is kind of weird but it looks okay to me in the end, we'll see how long it lasts...

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_170328722.jpg
    PXL_20210605_170328722.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 307

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree, the design is kind of weird but it looks okay to me in the end, we'll see how long it lasts...
Yep...it does look good, but the install is whacked and way over engineered. Because it is constructed of ABS plastic and not lexan, it can be molded to have sharper lines which I did like. Companies like WeatherTech and others just use plastic clips under the hood like they have for over 20 years and it's a much better design. Not sure why MOPAR did not go that same route:unsure:

nbase

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info/opinions. I do like the look of the Mopar one, they did a good job following the lines of the hood, but all the black on the front of my truck is glossy, I think the matte black might look funny. That Weathertech one seems like a nice easy install...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info/opinions. I do like the look of the Mopar one, they did a good job following the lines of the hood, but all the black on the front of my truck is glossy, I think the matte black might look funny. That Weathertech one seems like a nice easy install...
You will like the look of the WT a lot!

Rossi396

Reaction score
I tried the WT option and sent it back because I didn’t like the amount of clip left in the hood after it went through the hood seal. While a bit of a tedious installation I installed the Mopar one, complete with the hood bumpers, and I’m very happy with it. Hardware is top notch and it fits the truck perfectly. If anyone has questions about the install I’d be glad to answer them and there’s a few good Youtube videos online as well. Bugs are definitely less of an issue and my hood is protected. Good luck with whatever you choose.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tried the WT option and sent it back because I didn’t like the amount of clip left in the hood after it went through the hood seal.
Not sure I fully understand this as I have put two of them on myself (my 2019 and my 2021) and had zero issues or concerns.

Rossi396

Reaction score
Not sure I fully understand this as I have put two of them on myself (my 2019 and my 2021) and had zero issues or concerns.
With two or three of those clips, it seemed like they were barely making it through the hood seal and into the hood. IIRC, all of the clips were the push-in type. I like the way the factory deflector mounts much better. I’m glad they worked for you and I’m sure they work for others, I just didn’t care for them.

RonBang

Reaction score
What about the WT low pro one. Mounts with 3m tape I think?

Klicht87

Reaction score
What about the WT low pro one. Mounts with 3m tape I think?
I have the WT deflector that installs with push pins with my current ram. I've used the aeroskin deflectors on a colorado and silverado that installed with 3m tape. I actually like them better but the complaint is crud collects underneath because the tape isn't seamless all the way around. I think they look nice but decided to go with what everyone used on the RAMS

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I have the weathertech one and I like it because there is enough space between it and the hood that I can clean under it

RonBang

Reaction score
I have the weathertech one and I like it because there is enough space between it and the hood that I can clean under it
Isn’t this the one they give you little rubber bumpers to place on the hood? Can’t you put the little bumpers on the deflector instead of sticking them to the hood?

Users who are viewing this thread