5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break In Procedure

Kenny4

Reaction score
I don't see it in the owners manual. What is the recommended procedure for a new Hemi. Thanks

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a minor break-in recommendation in the manual, at least for my 2019, it's on page 276 of the full manual (hard copy or PDF).

It's only for 300 miles, pretty short. The recommendation for our new Toyota is 1,000 mile!

Essentially take it easy for the first 60 miles, then increase your speeds. Short full-throttle acceleration once in a while is ideal, however not at low gear. Essentially no stop light drag style launches for the first 300 miles.

Break In Procedure.jpg

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Why would FCA put a break in period on page 276 of a 600+ page manual?
I also believe there is some break in information available on the Ram's infotainment system.
My salesman had no idea of any break in period.
Also if you do an internet search you will find different opinions on how to break in a motor.
FYI

Jako

Reaction score
Do you really think FCA wants you to properly break in your engine:unsure:
I have read different opinions on how to break in an engine. I'm no engineer or gear head to be able to draw a reasonable conclusion so I follow the manufacturer's manual. I do believe the wording is the same for my 2001 Dodge SLT 1500. With today's advanced knowledge, machinery and tolerances I do question the need and importance, particularly when it is in the middle pages of a 600 page manual.
I have heard "drive it like you stole it", "drive it the way you would drive it".

What per cent of people actually know about a break in and how many follow the recommendation?
I know my salesman knew nothing about it when asked!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’ve always gone with the light throttle at the beginning, until around 100 miles, and then mixed driving with some redline pulls once warm for the next 400 or so. Then I have the oil changed. Everyone has their preferred method, and that’s mine. I love to stomp on the throttle to hear that HEMI roar, especially under tunnels with the windows down. The butt dyno believes she’s a little quicker with the Borla exhaust as well.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve always gone with the light throttle at the beginning, until around 100 miles, and then mixed driving with some redline pulls once warm for the next 400 or so. Then I have the oil changed. Everyone has their preferred method, and that’s mine. I love to stomp on the throttle to hear that HEMI roar, especially under tunnels with the windows down. The butt dyno believes she’s a little quicker with the Borla exhaust as well.
Totally with you...and butt dynos always do feel faster even though they aren't.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Totally with you...and butt dynos always do feel faster even though they aren't.

Oh, for sure, I know. I think it’s the extra noise that plays with your mind more. :D

This rig isn’t for power really, I have my truck for reliability and comfort. The Vette or potential TRX down the road will be the “fun” part. :)

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, for sure, I know. I think it’s the extra noise that plays with your mind more. :D

This rig isn’t for power really, I have my truck for reliability and comfort. The Vette or potential TRX down the road will be the “fun” part. :)
My 19 hemi etorque 3:92 had all the power I’d ever need. I see guys saying how much more the Ford eco boost have. Not knocking the fords, but I really doubt that! 2021 ram with the 3:21 rear end not as much😩

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 19 hemi etorque 3:92 had all the power I’d ever need. I see guys saying how much more the Ford eco boost have. Not knocking the fords, but I really doubt that! 2021 ram with the 3:21 rear end not as much😩
Also, I had a 19 ram with problems and I see many others do too, however I did have a 2021 ram built as a replacement, even though I love these new rams, I feel they might be the least reliable of any🤷🏻‍♂️

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The other replies are accurate, its not a long complicated process. A few hundred miles of "normal" to the average driver miles and then whatever.

Good idea to get the first oil change done ahead of the maintenance minder schedule. Everyone has their own take on the 1st change (there's threads on that, just search) but it never hurts to get the factory dino changed before 5K. Watch for the dealer coupons, I've gotten multiple 3/$70 ones (dino oil only).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Heres the 2021 Corvette procedure:
‘Mike Kociba, the assistant chief engineer for the Stingray's 6.2-liter V8, revealed to the Detroit Free Press that the car's compupter has been programmed to limit power until the 500 mile mark has been reached.”

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought mine with 31 miles drove it from North Carolina to Iowa 1004 miles, it was broke in when I got home🤣
Mine was driven from Morehead city NC. to Lexington Park MD. About 300 miles. The dealer driver that delivered it said "that is a one nice truck"
Not too soon later, they all down there got flooded from the hurricane.

Users who are viewing this thread