5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break In Procedure

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Bought mine with .3 miles on it and drove it 200 miles home ... then had to drive it 200 miles back for my drivers license :D Drove it about 50 miles to my sisters, stayed the night, then drove home. I figured it was broken in enough by day 3 :D

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I went with the manual's break-in rec. We drove a long, leisurely route home, keeping speed under 65 and varying it every 15 min from 50 to 65 mph. Then we took a leisurely weekend drive to get the remaining 150 miles done. We then did a couple hundred miles towing the trailer at a lower speed and varying it on route. I didn't end up on cruise control @ 75 mph until I had almost 700 miles on the odometer. I did have an oil change done at 4 months/6k miles. I'm a believer that modern manufacturing doesn't leave shards & fragments in the engine like the old days (my father was 45 yr @ Warner Gear transmission plant, so I was brought up with all the tales of why you change that initial oil) but after 6k miles I figure the seals have settled in & the engine parts are well 'seasoned' so I go for the fresh oil.

I've had oil changed every 6k since, no matter what the oil minder says...and every time I ask them to check the diff fluid. So far, at 20k miles, there's no sign of diff fluid breaking down.

Quint

Reaction score
In addition to taking it easy for the first 60 miles, and nothing over 50mph for the first 300 miles, the owners manual says that you should not tow during the first 500 miles. Once you are past 500 miles, you should not exceed 50mph for the next 500 miles of towing!

1612505245938.png

bman77

Reaction score
I did mine by the manual. Slow for the first 60 miles and then varying speed and not going above 55 for the next 240 miles. I then did some nice hammer downs from about 35-40 mph to the speed limit of 65mph during the next 400 miles and some leisurely highway miles not exceeding 75mph. Changed the oil at 1,000 miles and now just drive it like normal. I figure that while everything is new and tolerances have come a long way, there is more than just the motor that needs to be broken in including transmission, axles, bearings and such.

Devo

Reaction score
I did none of those things. I drove it like I stole it once I left the parking lot. I'll either be trouble-free or using that warranty sooner than expected 🤷‍♂️

Coming from an 18 Camaro SS that I did the same thing to and is still purring like a kitten 36k later, I'd say it's a nonissue.

Quint

Reaction score
I'm more worried about the later years, when the warranty runs out. You can beat on most cars during the warranty period and they won't show any problems.

mophead

Reaction score
I'm old school, even though tolerances have changed. First question; what does FCA do at the factory? Every engine builder worth snot will tell you first 20 minutes at about 2 grand with minor throttle fluctuations for cam break in. Does FCA do this as they're rolling off the line? After that varied low load throttle so the rings, cylinder walls etc. seat and seal. Once in gear this allows the transmission and axles an opportunity to break in too. Don't forget the brakes and a plethora of other things. All these surfaces will be riding on the same areas for the life of the vehicle. I think I'd like to give them a chance to mate properly so I can get the most life and least problems from it. I can do it, so why wouldn't I?

BigD

Reaction score
Trade it in every 5 years & let someone else deal with it. I'm at the point in my life where I will NEVER buy used again. Especially when new trucks are not much more than used ones. They hold their value so well, so why buy used ? Your just buying someone else's problems imo.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Bought mine with .3 miles on it and drove it 200 miles home ... then had to drive it 200 miles back for my drivers license :D Drove it about 50 miles to my sisters, stayed the night, then drove home. I figured it was broken in enough by day 3 :D
.3 miles?!
I trying to figure out who I should be screaming at now. I received my ordered Big Horn with 12 mi on dash....😠😡🤬

DivingOtter

Reaction score
So being Texas, doing max of 60 was not going to happen with out pissing a lot of people off when the speed limit is 75. But I drove it like grandma for 60 miles and the kept it 75 and under till 300. The long open stretches of roads in East Texas were PERFECT for slowing down to 20 and then DROP THE HAMMER TO 75!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So being Texas, doing max of 60 was not going to happen with out pissing a lot of people off when the speed limit is 75. But I drove it like grandma for 60 miles and the kept it 75 and under till 300. The long open stretches of roads in East Texas were PERFECT for slowing down to 20 and then DROP THE HAMMER TO 75!
Just drive it😁

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In addition to taking it easy for the first 60 miles, and nothing over 50mph for the first 300 miles, the owners manual says that you should not tow during the first 500 miles. Once you are past 500 miles, you should not exceed 50mph for the next 500 miles of towing!

View attachment 81748

I didn't see a speed limit for the first 300 miles in the manual, only states to stay under 50 mph when you start towing, which as you mentioned is after the first 500 miles.

41magmag41

Reaction score
.3 miles?!
I trying to figure out who I should be screaming at now. I received my ordered Big Horn with 12 mi on dash....😠😡🤬
I dont think the odometers on these new trucks show tenths of miles. I believe the only place its shown is on the trip tics.

Quint

Reaction score
I didn't see a speed limit for the first 300 miles in the manual, only states to stay under 50 mph when you start towing, which as you mentioned is after the first 500 miles.

1618408139100.png
Maybe the Rebel manual is different, but on my Bighorn this is what FCA states. Drive moderately for the first 60 miles and then limit speeds to 50-55mph are desirable.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 89660
Maybe the Rebel manual is different, but on my Bighorn this is what FCA states. Drive moderately for the first 60 miles and then limit speeds to 50-55mph are desirable.

Gotcha, thanks for posting. I think desirable is probably the word that can be looked at with some interpretation. Not quite the same as "do not drive over 50 mph" for example like the one they used regarding towing. Kinda more like a suggestion vs a hard requirement.

Quint

Reaction score
Agreed. They aren't saying your truck will explode if the needle crosses 55mph but they are saying that it is therefore not desirable to do so until the motor has broken in. I certainly fluxuated up to 70mph when I wasn't paying attention but 95% of the time kept it under 55mph until I got over the 300 mile mark. There will be 100 guys on here that drove it like they stole it and 100 that wiped each part down with a diaper and then blew kisses to dry everything. I just tend to follow the manufacturer's requests.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Agreed. They aren't saying your truck will explode if the needle crosses 55mph but they are saying that it is therefore not desirable to do so until the motor has broken in. I certainly fluxuated up to 70mph when I wasn't paying attention but 95% of the time kept it under 55mph until I got over the 300 mile mark. There will be 100 guys on here that drove it like they stole it and 100 that wiped each part down with a diaper and then blew kisses to dry everything. I just tend to follow the manufacturer's requests.
I didn't have much of choice.... Really didn't want to irritate a bunch of East Texas Rednecks, no matter how friendly they might normally be... ;:D

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Bought mine on a Saturday. The next day we drove ~625 miles to Florida at 70-80 MPH.
Nine hours later it was broken in :p

Users who are viewing this thread