5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break in period recommendations

Reaction score
Hey guys just recently received my 2022 Ram Rebel eTourqe v8 Hemi and would love to hear any proper break in recommendation and proper maintained along the way. This is my first ever brand new vehicle and I want to make sure I maintain her to the best of my abilities. I did search the forum and didn’t see a thread dedicated to this so I apologize if I miss it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Drive it like you are going to drive it. Brand new vehicles from factory don't require a "break in".

As far as regukar maintenance, if you want to keep it for a while, I'd recommend 5000 or 7500 mile oil change intervals. Don't wait for truck to tell you it needs changed. Don't use crappy oil filters. Keep tires properly inflated. Check oil level once a week, or every 1k miles if you don't drive a lot. Check tire pressure once a month.

Reaction score
Only thing I’d recommend is take it easy for the first few hundred miles and change the factory oil early. Avoid cruise control or long periods at the same speed for a few trips.
Thank you! At what mileage do you recommend the first oil change? The dealer told me 5000 but there’s no way I’m gonna let her go to that.

Reaction score
Drive it like you are going to drive it. Brand new vehicles from factory don't require a "break in".

As far as regukar maintenance, if you want to keep it for a while, I'd recommend 5000 or 7500 mile oil change intervals. Don't wait for truck to tell you it needs changed. Don't use crappy oil filters. Keep tires properly inflated. Check oil level once a week, or every 1k miles if you don't drive a lot. Check tire pressure once a month.
Definitely gonna keep this truck for life and pass it down on my son so I want to make sure I properly take care of her. I always check tire pressure weekly since the temps where I live fluctuate a lot and I noticed on my old vehicle I would lose 1 psi every couple weeks in the winter months

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! At what mileage do you recommend the first oil change? The dealer told me 5000 but there’s no way I’m gonna let her go to that.
I did my first oil change at 1000km (600miles) which is a little extreme, but it couldn’t have hurt anything except my wallet. After that every 10000km (6000miles) is my regular interval.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
From the owners manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades Ú page 438.

Luckyguy

Reaction score
I too have a new truck, 5.7 non e torque Bighorn. I followed the break in recommendations noted above, pretty easy. However, I plan on towing and recommendations are not as easy. 50mph for first 500 miles! Hard to do on freeway.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I too have a new truck, 5.7 non e torque Bighorn. I followed the break in recommendations noted above, pretty easy. However, I plan on towing and recommendations are not as easy. 50mph for first 500 miles! Hard to do on freeway.

It's 500 km, about 300 miles for the break-in period.

Luckyguy

Reaction score
From my manual, "
during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From my manual, "
during the first 500 miles (805 km) that
a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full
throttle. This helps the engine and other parts
of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."

Oh gotcha, specifically for towing break-in. Should have realized, I remember seeing that on our Hummer back in the day, a decal that stated no towing before 1000 miles, that towing requires a longer break in period.

Luckyguy

Reaction score
I usually do about 65 towing 5000#. So, not a speed demon but I Invision myself driving down the road like the Clampets at 50 mph.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I followed the Owner's Manual recommendations that asgadf/lkjnadsfg posted.

I use quality products (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic oil, Mobil 1 oil filter, and Wix engine air filter) and change the oil at (or just before) 10K miles. There's lots of facts, opinions, and recommendations regarding oil change intervals (OCI) but there's no reason a good full synthetic can't go the "distance" in this day and age IMO.

I did my first oil change at 7500 miles and have done one every 10K miles thereafter. I haven't had an issue with the engine other than a cracked exhaust manifold (which has nothing to do with break-in or oil quality/frequency of change).

66K miles and still going strong...

Last edited:

Jayrsingh

Reaction score
I followed the Owner's Manual recommendations that asgadf/lkjnadsfg posted.

I use quality products (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic oil, Mobil 1 oil filter, and Wix engine air filter) and change the oil at (or just before) 10K miles. There's lots of facts, opinions, and recommendations regarding oil change intervals (OCI) but there's no reason a good full synthetic can't go the "distance" in this day and age IMO.

I did my first oil change at 7500 miles and have done one every 10K miles thereafter. I haven't had an issue with the engine other than a cracked exhaust manifold (which has nothing to do with break-in or oil quality/frequency of change).

66K miles and still going strong...
For the pennzoil which weight do you use? I am thinking for mines 0w20 or 5w20

beetlespin

Reaction score
When the computer tells you change the oil which is usually around 10,000 miles. Not sure why you would dump expensive full synthetic down the drain early. Most don't keep their trucks more than five years anyway. Why baby it for somebody else? I keep my vehicles clean and the do the required maintenance but I don't overdo it and waste money. Every vehicle I have traded has got me top dollar and it wasn't because the oil was changed every 5000 miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When the computer tells you change the oil which is usually around 10,000 miles. Not sure why you would dump expensive full synthetic down the drain early. Most don't keep their trucks more than five years anyway. Why baby it for somebody else? I keep my vehicles clean and the do the required maintenance but I don't overdo it and waste money. Every vehicle I have traded has got me top dollar and it wasn't because the oil was changed every 5000 miles.
Some of us don't buy vehicles with the intent of getting rid of them in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread