5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

Michael_D

Reaction score
Oh man. Please Keep is posted on the outcome. My intentions is to get the touring along with the resonator. I like some growl but not too loud. I was debating with the magnaflow vs the Borla. Now you got me rethinking it.

Sure thing. My truck is a Longhorn. I have not spent time driving or riding in any other model, so I have no idea if the LH has a milder exhaust note than others. I mention this, because so many people are posting that this system is NOT loud, and close to stock. I was not expecting it to be this loud, not even close. It does mellow out when highway cruising under 1500 rpm, but when driving around town, stop and go traffic, it's not bashful. There's no sneaking up on anything, that's for sure.....

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I c
I had a hard time choosing between Borla Touring and Magnaflow cat-back system too. Went with magnaflow and still think it’s a bit louder than I wanted it to be. Now I’m curious whether the Touring would’ve been even louder or not.
an tell you the Touring will be louder then that Magnaflow. Was at my dealers and a customer had a catback Magnaflow on his DT. The service people were commenting it was no where as loud as my last exhaust ( Touring ) lol.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I am exhaust illiterate. What’s the difference between cat back, and muffler?

skol

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I am exhaust illiterate. What’s the difference between cat back, and muffler?

I may be wrong as I’m not mechanically savvy but I believe a cat back exhaust gives you the increased performance such as horsepower and fuel efficiency whereas the muffler will simply provide the better sound

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i went with "Atak"

You know, I won’t say I don’t like the ATAK. Sounds loud and nice. Just for me, it’s a tad to raspy. For a truck, I would prefer a deeper growl with less raspy sound. Which I think the S-Type fits that bill. But i do like the ATAK either way. Probably more for a car though. But just stating my opinion on this. This is about you and your ATAK system. Sounds loud and nice like the ATAK should.

Last edited:

Michael_D

Reaction score
Oh man. Please Keep is posted on the outcome. My intentions is to get the touring along with the resonator. I like some growl but not too loud. I was debating with the magnaflow vs the Borla. Now you got me rethinking it.

Installed the optional Borla "muffler" today (Borla code for resonator I guess). It most definitely took some bark out of the Touring cat back system. Cold starts are mellower. I shouldn't wake up too many neighbors at 5 AM now. I'm not real good with descriptive words, explaining what I feel and hear..... I think it's closer to the Magnaflow tone now, but not quite. It is still louder than stock, if anyone was thinking this Borla combo (Touring cat back with optional "muffler") would be no louder as stock, they are wrong. The truck still has a growl to it. I'm surprised this thing makes any difference at, really.... The OEM resonator and the Borla are both straight through designs. The Borla O.D. is about 1" larger, and about an inch longer, but that's it. Same I.D. of roughly: 2.75". Installation is pretty straight forward. Took about 30 minutes.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Installed the optional Borla "muffler" today (Borla code for resonator I guess). It most definitely took some bark out of the Touring cat back system. Cold starts are mellower. I shouldn't wake up too many neighbors at 5 AM now. I'm not real good with descriptive words, explaining what I feel and hear..... I think it's closer to the Magnaflow tone now, but not quite. It is still louder than stock, if anyone was thinking this Borla combo (Touring cat back with optional "muffler") would be no louder as stock, they are wrong. The truck still has a growl to it. I'm surprised this thing makes any difference at, really.... The OEM resonator and the Borla are both straight through designs. The Borla O.D. is about 1" larger, and about an inch longer, but that's it. Same I.D. of roughly: 2.75". Installation is pretty straight forward. Took about 30 minutes.

View attachment 24778

View attachment 24779

View attachment 24780

View attachment 24781
I'm assuming the borla "muffler" came with clamps?

Michael_D

Reaction score
I installed the bed step the other day when I installed the secondary muffler. Fits just fine, no interference at all.

J4U

Reaction score
I c

an tell you the Touring will be louder then that Magnaflow. Was at my dealers and a customer had a catback Magnaflow on his DT. The service people were commenting it was no where as loud as my last exhaust ( Touring ) lol.
Thanks for all your trial and error as I was leaning towards the B Stype. You really helped convince me I don't need young gun pipes! Placed the order today for touring with black ends, pretty good deal I think.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Crap... Wonder if I can change to S type. Haha, not going down that path as I think the tour will be fine for me.

I hope

Maybe

Dangit
You'll like the touring, I've had mine for almost 2 weeks and I don't know if I'll ever have another truck without an exhaust on it.

J4U

Reaction score
You'll like the touring, I've had mine for almost 2 weeks and I don't know if I'll ever have another truck without an exhaust on it.
Be here in a couple days anyway, thinking I'll like it, hopefully... Maybe, yes... Yes I will

Users who are viewing this thread