5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacking out Limited badges with Plastidip

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
So I did a little testing on my badges yesterday and I think they came out pretty good. The hood badges come off very easy (almost too easy) if you pull downward from the front.
I used Obsidian Black from dipyourcar.com with a clear topcoat and they are a pretty good match to the Ram Metallic Black paint.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors/products/obsidian-black-aerosol
If you want a little more sparkle you can use Black Sapphire. It has a bit more blue flecks in it that the OEM paint, but looks nice.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors/products/black-sapphire-aerosol
I am going to do the mirrors, side chrome stripe and the Ram head on the tailgate this weekend.
20181216_123203.jpg 20181217_083811.jpg 20181216_125252.jpg 20181216_123916.jpg 20181217_083835.jpg 20181216_123203.jpg 20181217_083811.jpg 20181216_125252.jpg 20181216_123916.jpg 20181217_083835.jpg

bdm219

Reaction score
Stupid question; How did you get it to apply only to the limited and none on the paint?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Stupid question; How did you get it to apply only to the limited and none on the paint?

I am stupid too. I am wondering same thing, based on how it was taped in the picture...

I so want to black out my badges. At least the ones I cant just fish line off.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am stupid too. I am wondering same thing, based on how it was taped in the picture...

I so want to black out my badges. At least the ones I cant just fish line off.

That's the beauty of Plastidip. When you grab a corner it just naturally cuts around the edges.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, i didnt know that at all...

There is so much info on YouTube on it, and other manufacturers like Superwrap. The more coats, the more durable it will be plus some glossifier UV protection should keep it lasting for quite some time.
Do you have to scuff the letters to adhere?

Not at all, just make sure it;'s clean, use some IPA or Window cleaner.

mg0706

Reaction score
Good job. I did the same and i plastidipped a 1/3 part (bottom) of my truck (the rock pannel, i think is the name).

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Check out DipYourCar on YouTube. That is where I got the spray cans and I used metallic black with the glossifier on top. Sticker500 said it but, If you look at the Limited masking I sprayed that entire section. Once it dries you just peel off the surrounding spray and it leaves the letter covered. The spray is like a rubberized coating.

I am going to do the rest of my badges, mirror caps, and part of the grill this weekend. I'll post more pics.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I am going to do the rest of my badges, mirror caps, and part of the grill this weekend. I'll post more pics.

Looks forward to seeing your results. I just put on black tips to complete my rear end this past weekend. Are you going to do side molding as well, window trim? If so what will your approach be on the window trip? Plastidip?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So I did a little testing on my badges yesterday and I think they came out pretty good. The hood badges come off very easy (almost too easy) if you pull downward from the front.
I used Obsidian Black from dipyourcar.com with a clear topcoat and they are a pretty good match to the Ram Metallic Black paint.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors/products/obsidian-black-aerosol
If you want a little more sparkle you can use Black Sapphire. It has a bit more blue flecks in it that the OEM paint, but looks nice.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors/products/black-sapphire-aerosol
I am going to do the mirrors, side chrome stripe and the Ram head on the tailgate this weekend.
View attachment 10933 View attachment 10934 View attachment 10935 View attachment 10936 View attachment 10938 View attachment 10933 View attachment 10934 View attachment 10935 View attachment 10936 View attachment 10938
Great job.
I've done my last two vehicles with extensive Plastidip. A wonderful product. Congrats.

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Looks forward to seeing your results. I just put on black tips to complete my rear end this past weekend. Are you going to do side molding as well, window trim? If so what will your approach be on the window trip? Plastidip?

Yes, on the side molding, but I actually like the trim around the windows, so I'll keep it chrome.

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
How did you pop out your 1500 Hemi emblems?
They come out very easy but make sure it is warm out. Pull from the front of the truck towards the back and downward. Almost in a slight counter-clockwise motion. Most of the bigger tabs are on the top side. They should pop out pretty easy.

kbUSMC2012

Reaction score
They come out very easy but make sure it is warm out. Pull from the front of the truck towards the back and downward. Almost in a slight counter-clockwise motion. Most of the bigger tabs are on the top side. They should pop out pretty easy.

Any risk of tabs breaking? I was nervous about popping the grille out on my Tacoma because the tabs breaking happened 90% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread