5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacking out Limited badges with Plastidip

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Any risk of tabs breaking? I was nervous about popping the grille out on my Tacoma because the tabs breaking happened 90% of the time.

I didn't break any, but I would definitely do it when it was warm, or I would heat them up a bit to make sure they aren't too brittle. Find a pic online of the backside and you will see the tab placement. That might help, but it wasn't hard to get them off.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any risk of tabs breaking? I was nervous about popping the grille out on my Tacoma because the tabs breaking happened 90% of the time.
If you're concerned about them breaking, you can always Plastidip them on the truck. Mask around the badge and the rest will peel right up.
Done it multiple times. Works great.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
You probably don’t need to pull the hood emblems because of how you can pull the plastidip up. Safer to pull them of course, and less work, but the same masking technique can be used there. Just make sure you cover/mask the rest of the hood and windshield (this may have been why the OP removed them now that I think about it).

Because the hood emblem has a gap between it and the hood, the plastidip spray won’t bridge that gap, so you can pull it up off the hood and the emblem will retain the spray.

Edit: Oh, when I sprayed the emblems on my old Titan, a toothpick was recommended to get the dip out of the tough areas (like inside the ‘D’ in Limited, etc) and it worked well and didn’t damage the paint.

Last edited:

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
You probably don’t need to pull the hood emblems because of how you can pull the plastidip up. Safer to pull them of course, and less work, but the same masking technique can be used there. Just make sure you cover/mask the rest of the hood and windshield (this may have been why the OP removed them now that I think about it).

Because the hood emblem has a gap between it and the hood, the plastidip spray won’t bridge that gap, so you can pull it up off the hood and the emblem will retain the spray.

Edit: Oh, when I sprayed the emblems on my old Titan, a toothpick was recommended to get the dip out of the tough areas (like inside the ‘D’ in Limited, etc) and it worked well and didn’t damage the paint.
The OP cleared the hood emblems I don’t think the clear peels? That’s probably why he pulled them

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
The clear does peel. For all the Plastidip you just need to get a pretty good coat on even where you want to peel, so it makes a nice sheet of rubber to pull off, if that makes sense. Here is the front uni-brow and the tailgate. I did the mirror caps as well, but I need to re-do them. My masking got caught in the wind and jacked them all up. All-in-all very easy to do and well worth the time. The color is a very close match to the factory paint too.
20181223_114850.jpg 20181223_115114.jpg 20181223_114939-01.jpg

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
The clear does peel. For all the Plastidip you just need to get a pretty good coat on even where you want to peel, so it makes a nice sheet of rubber to pull off, if that makes sense. Here is the front uni-brow and the tailgate. I did the mirror caps as well, but I need to re-do them. My masking got caught in the wind and jacked them all up. All-in-all very easy to do and well worth the time. The color is a very close match to the factory paint too.
View attachment 11587 View attachment 11588 View attachment 11589
That looks very nice. I assume you have shadow black pearl. I do too.

What plastidip color did you use?

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Wow that is personal. LOL :ROFLMAO:

I used one can each for everything you see: Uni-Brow on hood, mirror caps, Ram on tailgate and Limited badge, 1500 hood badges.

I need to get another can of black to fix my mirrors, but they were easier than I thought. I wasn't sure how crisp the line between the cap and the turn signal plastic would be but it cut itself very easily.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Wow that is personal. LOL

I used one can each for everything you see: Uni-Brow on hood, mirror caps, Ram on tailgate and Limited badge, 1500 hood badges.

I need to get another can of black to fix my mirrors, but they were easier than I thought. I wasn't sure how crisp the line between the cap and the turn signal plastic would be but it cut itself very easily.
Thanks, all that info is a HUGE help for me

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
If you do it and don't like it you can easily peel it off and it isn't a huge investment. I tried Sapphire black too, but it had a bit too much blue in it for my tastes, but it was sparkly! (I actually left it on the 1500 badges). Don't spray the clear in the sun either, do it in the shade. My mirror cap (on the sunny side) is a little blotchy and I think that is why. It's a fun little project.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
If you do it and don't like it you can easily peel it off and it isn't a huge investment. I tried Sapphire black too, but it had a bit too much blue in it for my tastes, but it was sparkly! (I actually left it on the 1500 badges). Don't spray the clear in the sun either, do it in the shade. My mirror cap (on the sunny side) is a little blotchy and I think that is why. It's a fun little project.
I was watching some guy on youtube, you probably seen him, warmed his in lukewarm water and it sprayed real smooth and even... Versus non lukewarmed... i am going to try and stray away from that blue sparkle too.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Im probably going to get that mopar sliding toolbox. Want to do that too.

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Yes, I put my cans in warm water, plus it was 74 degrees yesterday. DipYourCar on YouTube has some great videos. Show us pics when you do it!

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
View attachment 11587 View attachment 11588 View attachment 11589
looks amazing, you can wash it without damaging it?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Looks good! I did the same on my emblems but today noticed a little chrome somehow is poking through on Limited "L" so I just removed the whole thing :) On the tailgate handle...Did you just mask off normal and spray the camera too?

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Looks good! I did the same on my emblems but today noticed a little chrome somehow is poking through on Limited "L" so I just removed the whole thing :) On the tailgate handle...Did you just mask off normal and spray the camera too?

I masked about 1/2" around the chrome on the tailgate and camera and then sprayed it all, even the camera lens. It all peeled off nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread