5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black aftermarket lug-nuts 🥷🏻

alek6ix

Reaction score
where do y’all get your lug-nuts from? Looking for black ones, for ‘20 sport with 22s
needs it
A8847C2C-54FB-45DD-99FC-8BE3BC949500.jpeg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most of the cheaper ones on Amazon are just painted. And the paint gets messed up the first time you put a wrench on them. I second Malodave's recommendation and get the McGard's.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most of the cheaper ones on Amazon are just painted. And the paint gets messed up the first time you put a wrench on them. I second Malodave's recommendation and get the McGard's.
I have had the McGard's in the past and they are no better than what's on Amazon. They rusted no different. The ones I bought have a black zinc e-plating and are then painted. I am not expecting a miracle but they held up without a scratch when they were put on.

Skater

Reaction score
I have the same lugs as securityguy, from the same vendor. No scuffs or scratches on mine when they were put on about two weeks ago.

sd2134

Reaction score
I used the McGard cone seat bulge lug nuts part 64074 set of 4. For me, they work well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had the McGard's in the past and they are no better than what's on Amazon. They rusted no different. The ones I bought have a black zinc e-plating and are then painted. I am not expecting a miracle but they held up without a scratch when they were put on.
My experience with them is different. It's okay if you disagree, and if you're happy with the cheapie painted lug nuts, more power to you. I haven't had the same experience with them, and the McGard lug nuts held up great for the two and a half years they were on my Rebel. The $30 painted lug nuts started rusting within a month of installing them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My experience with them is different. It's okay if you disagree, and if you're happy with the cheapie painted lug nuts, more power to you. I haven't had the same experience with them, and the McGard lug nuts held up great for the two and a half years they were on my Rebel. The $30 painted lug nuts started rusting within a month of installing them.
Understood...however, the ones I bought are not just painted lug nuts. They are zinc e-coated and then painted so an extra level of protection against rust. I just put mine on last week, so we'll see how well they hold up. I am impressed with the quality appearance and construction of the ones I purchased. I have had McGard in the past on several vehicles and everyone had rust issues.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Understood...however, the ones I bought are not just painted lug nuts. They are zinc e-coated and then painted so an extra level of protection against rust. I just put mine on last week, so we'll see how well they hold up. I am impressed with the quality appearance and construction of the ones I purchased. I have had McGard in the past on several vehicles and everyone had rust issues.
I'm a little dubious about the lug nuts you linked because it lists the material as steel, and the metal type as aluminum...

Attachments

• black lug nuts.PNG
    black lug nuts.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 35

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm a little dubious about the lug nuts you linked because it lists the material as steel, and the metal type as aluminum...
I contacted the seller...mistake. Solid high strength steel eCoated and then painted. I am not the only one who has purchased these as is VERY happy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I contacted the seller...mistake. Solid high strength steel eCoated and then painted. I am not the only one who has purchased these as is VERY happy.
You'd think they would fix their description if it was a mistake, especially since you asked them about it. Makes me think that English isn't their first language. That doesn't mean they're not a good product I guess.

I've just not had good luck with any of the cheaper lug nuts I've tried. But I've only tried less than a handful. There are a few reviews of people complaining about them rusting over time. Sounds like it's not an issue for you though. I'm glad you found something that works for you, and if they're as good as you say they're definitely a much less expensive alternative to the McGards. Thanks for the info on them. (y)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You'd think they would fix their description if it was a mistake, especially since you asked them about it. Makes me think that English isn't their first language. That doesn't mean they're not a good product I guess.

I've just not had good luck with any of the cheaper lug nuts I've tried. But I've only tried less than a handful. There are a few reviews of people complaining about them rusting over time. Sounds like it's not an issue for you though. I'm glad you found something that works for you, and if they're as good as you say they're definitely a much less expensive alternative to the McGards. Thanks for the info on them. (y)
Time will tell regarding how well they hold up ;) If I have issues down the road, then I'm only out $35 or I can repaint them or even have them ceramic coated for a small fee locally at a shop I know that does great powder coat & ceramic work.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You don't know how Amazon works. I sell stuff on there and they control what is on their site. Trying to get anything changed is time consuming and a struggle. Most of the time it is just a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You don't know how Amazon works. I sell stuff on there and they control what is on their site. Trying to get anything changed is time consuming and a struggle. Most of the time it is just a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
You're right, I don't know how selling on Amazon works. I've sold things on ebay and assumed Amazon wouldn't be much different, as far as fixing a description in a listing. Thanks for clearing that up. However, as a seller, I would want to make sure a mistake like that gets fixed. It's definitely something that would affect my buying decision, so it wouldn't be a waste of time in my opinion.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Extremely happy and would still highly recommend. I am telling you guys, these are no better or worse than McGard or Gorilla lugs. The quality is great, the finish is great and I, personally, am very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online