5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein Level Installed - Issue

20Ram4X

Reaction score
Hey all - I installed some Bilstein 5100 struts along with Zone UCA and Bilstein rear shocks on my 20 4x4. Love the firmed up ride and the look of the 275/70-18 General Grabber ATX's. Trouble is, when the suspension tops out over large bumps there's a clunk from the drivers side. Have read all kinds of posts about checking top hat torque and placement of the strut washer. Top hats are tight and my kit didn't come with the washer below the spring hat and it's not noted on the instructions for the 19-20 kit. Is that right ? Have taken apart and all looks good, everything is tight. Has anyone had issues with running the Zone upper control arms with only a 2" lift? I set the struts to position 5. Only thing I can think of at this point is something is off with the control arms. About ready to take these off and go the coilover route, the clunk is driving me nuts.

20210128_070504.jpg

doolin64

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help, but if you're you pleased with the ride and you think it's the control arm, why not swap the stock ones back on and see if the noise is still there. If it's gone...it was a control arm issue. If still there, then it's strut related.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you also have the off road group?

20Ram4X

Reaction score
No ORG. Gonna drive it a few miles and retorque everything.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could also be the front sway bar link, there was a TSB a while back

20Ram4X

Reaction score
It seems to be loosening up over time and feeling better but it still clunks everytime the suspension tops out. Fox's might be in my future.

fawaz.

Reaction score
the clinking sound came from the front sway bar common issue in the gen of ram

Scoot332002

Reaction score
Hey all - I installed some Bilstein 5100 struts along with Zone UCA and Bilstein rear shocks on my 20 4x4. Love the firmed up ride and the look of the 275/70-18 General Grabber ATX's. Trouble is, when the suspension tops out over large bumps there's a clunk from the drivers side. Have read all kinds of posts about checking top hat torque and placement of the strut washer. Top hats are tight and my kit didn't come with the washer below the spring hat and it's not noted on the instructions for the 19-20 kit. Is that right ? Have taken apart and all looks good, everything is tight. Has anyone had issues with running the Zone upper control arms with only a 2" lift? I set the struts to position 5. Only thing I can think of at this point is something is off with the control arms. About ready to take these off and go the coilover route, the clunk is driving me nuts.

View attachment 81009
Did you get this clunk figured out? I’m having the same issue.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
What other brans of upper control arms would someone recommend? I was told Rough Country to replace the present plastic control arms.
Thoughts?

doolin64

Reaction score
Rough country or Readylift are the two most popular. Just due to where I live I'd opt for the Rough Country ones to avoid any rust issues.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What other brans of upper control arms would someone recommend? I was told Rough Country to replace the present plastic control arms.
Thoughts?
You could go with rough country, readylift, zone, BDS or ICON. Lots of options but readylift and rough country will be the most cost effective options.

KCViper

Reaction score
I am thinking about going with the Bilstein's (most likely all 4 if I can find them) and level the front. Sorry, but being unfamiliar with suspensions, can anyone help me understand why you replace the UCA over factory (or do you depending upon how you use the truck)? Thanks!

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Nope still does it, I'm pretty sure it's the Bilsteins topping out. Super annoying.. I ordered some Fox's and will post up if that eliminates it.
Do you think the clunk is due to the zone UCA

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking about going with the Bilstein's (most likely all 4 if I can find them) and level the front. Sorry, but being unfamiliar with suspensions, can anyone help me understand why you replace the UCA over factory (or do you depending upon how you use the truck)? Thanks!
It keeps the OEM front end geometry. Each aftermarket UCA is designed to restore the OEM geometry for a specific range of lift in the front.

The easiest way to explain it: ever see someone with the front end lifted and the wheels pointed inward at the bottom and outward at the top? They need a UCA to fix that and make the wheel vertical (OEM).

20Ram4X

Reaction score
Do you think the clunk is due to the zone UCA
I suspect the body mount at this point, going to get under there to check it out. Have checked everything else. Getting some Fox 2.5's installed Monday, super stoked!

wiendog

Reaction score
I went through so many issues trying to lift my 2019 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with a 6'4" bed Mopar did not work They bought back the kit, Redi lift crappy clunking terrible.Fox 2.5 coil overs saved my truck the best ever

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Rough country or Readylift are the two most popular. Just due to where I live I'd opt for the Rough Country ones to avoid any rust issues.
I installed Rough Country control arms and the 2" spacer also and in the back I went and purchased Tough Truck heavy duty springs to beef it up better., I will be removing the 2 inch spacer and installing the rough country leveling strut.

Last edited:

Mhorton814

Reaction score
I am having my Bilstein 5100's installed next week on the front to level my truck. My 2 questions are, what clip setting should I tell them? (I'm seeing a lot of people use #5, my truck does NOT have ORP) and will I be ok just having them use the stock UCA and new ones aren't needed?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having my Bilstein 5100's installed next week on the front to level my truck. My 2 questions are, what clip setting should I tell them? (I'm seeing a lot of people use #5, my truck does NOT have ORP) and will I be ok just having them use the stock UCA and new ones aren't needed?
Replacing the UCA's is really just a peace of mind kind of thing. If you don't off road your truck often and you go with setting #5 on the bilsteins you shouldn't need to replace the UCA's.

On the other hand; I have the ORP and will be putting my bilsteins at setting 5 so a total of 3" front lift (1" ORP, 2" bilstein) and I am certainly planning on replacing my UCA's with a better set.

Users who are viewing this thread