5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein Level Installed - Issue

Mhorton814

Reaction score
Replacing the UCA's is really just a peace of mind kind of thing. If you don't off road your truck often and you go with setting #5 on the bilsteins you shouldn't need to replace the UCA's.

On the other hand; I have the ORP and will be putting my bilsteins at setting 5 so a total of 3" front lift (1" ORP, 2" bilstein) and I am certainly planning on replacing my UCA's with a better set.
Ok, awesome, thank you. I never do any off-roading, just tow the buggy to do RZR off-roading lol. Ok, that makes sense.

Pristine1

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the Rough Country UCA lists in important notes: only for 3-3.5 inch lift. Zone doesn’t seem to show a guide line for their lift range. Wander what you would run into if you only go 2 inches with control arms meant for 3 inches or more. I’ve also seen mention of using different sway bar end links.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the Rough Country UCA lists in important notes: only for 3-3.5 inch lift. Zone doesn’t seem to show a guide line for their lift range. Wander what you would run into if you only go 2 inches with control arms meant for 3 inches or more. I’ve also seen mention of using different sway bar end links.
I would imagine the opposite of most "bad" UCA angles would happen.
Bad UCA angle due to too much lift and incorrect UCA's.
1618527025769.png
Bad UCA angle due to too much UCA angle adjustment and not enough lift. You just want to maintain a ball joint angle similar to the third photo.
1618527140568.png
Good UCA angle.
1618527457353.png

theblakester

Reaction score
I am having my Bilstein 5100's installed next week on the front to level my truck. My 2 questions are, what clip setting should I tell them? (I'm seeing a lot of people use #5, my truck does NOT have ORP) and will I be ok just having them use the stock UCA and new ones aren't needed?
For those with the ORP trucks, setting 5 is the max (2” of additional lift on top of the 1” factory lift from the ORP). If you don’t have the ORP, you can go up to setting 7, I believe which claims to get you 2.6”.
It’s my understanding that if you have them maxed out the ride will not be as good. So if you bring them down a notch or two, in theory you will lose some height, but gain a better ride.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with the ORP trucks, setting 5 is the max (2” of additional lift on top of the 1” factory lift from the ORP). If you don’t have the ORP, you can go up to setting 7, I believe which claims to get you 2.6”.
It’s my understanding that if you have them maxed out the ride will not be as good. So if you bring them down a notch or two, in theory you will lose some height, but gain a better ride.
Sorry to revive an old thread. However, I have the ORP with bilsteins on setting #5 and get the same issue as the OP. Its a jarring thunking noise when going over speed bumps or potholes at a decent speed. It seems to occur when the suspension is full droop. At this point I have checked the torque on all bolts so I don't believe it's an installation issue. I think the bilsteins are topping out or the ride is just really rough over potholes/bumps. I will be tearing mine down soon and setting them to #4 to see if it resolves the issue. If it doesn't they'll come off the truck and back to stock suspension!

1635956943986.png

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread. However, I have the ORP with bilsteins on setting #5 and get the same issue as the OP. Its a jarring thunking noise when going over speed bumps or potholes at a decent speed. It seems to occur when the suspension is full droop. At this point I have checked the torque on all bolts so I don't believe it's an installation issue. I think the bilsteins are topping out or the ride is just really rough over potholes/bumps. I will be tearing mine down soon and setting them to #4 to see if it resolves the issue. If it doesn't they'll come off the truck and back to stock suspension!

View attachment 109892

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ruben705

Reaction score

View attachment 109892
Interested in this as well.

Skg74

Reaction score
Could it be that your UCA are contacting your spring at full droop? I had an issue with my Eibach kit. The bottom spring hat needs clocked a certain way. The notch on the drivers side needs to face towards the back and the passenger side towards the front.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could it be that your UCA are contacting your spring at full droop? I had an issue with my Eibach kit. The bottom spring hat needs clocked a certain way. The notch on the drivers side needs to face towards the back and the passenger side towards the front.
I have checked the UCA and spring clearance at full droop and its not close to touching. This was one of my first thoughts though. What do you mean about the notch on the lower spring perch? The pocket that the coil sits into?

Skg74

Reaction score
I have checked the UCA and spring clearance at full droop and its not close to touching. This was one of my first thoughts though. What do you mean about the notch on the lower spring perch? The pocket that the coil sits into?
Yes, that’s what I was talking about. Sorry I didn’t help, but wish you luck.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, that’s what I was talking about. Sorry I didn’t help, but wish you luck.
Not a problem. I know the clocking of my springs is pretty similar to how they were on the stock shocks. They may be rotated 1/2" but nothing major. Appreciate the input!

Skg74

Reaction score
Not a problem. I know the clocking of my springs is pretty similar to how they were on the stock shocks. They may be rotated 1/2" but nothing major. Appreciate the input!
Welcome

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm curious on the clunk people are talking about as I'm getting the same out of my 2" spacer lift. I feel like it's the UCA hitting the springs too.

I've been thinking of changing out to some Fox coilovers to see if it fixes the issues as a coilover's springs are wounded tighter then factory ones.

Skg74

Reaction score
Hmm curious on the clunk people are talking about as I'm getting the same out of my 2" spacer lift. I feel like it's the UCA hitting the springs too.

I've been thinking of changing out to some Fox coilovers to see if it fixes the issues as a coilover's springs are wounded tighter then factory m

I've been thinking of changing out to some Fox coilovers to see if it fixes the issues as a coilover's springs are wounded tighter then factory ones.
Jack her up and let the front hang and see if they touch. The only way I found mine was when I rotated the tires.

Kordyte

Reaction score
I just installed 5100s all around on my 2021 non-ORP. Fronts are on ring #5. Also installed UCAs from the Mopar 2" lift kit but that shouldn't matter as far as geometry. I haven't noticed any clunking but did have to modify the drivers side wheel well plastic and splash guard because the tire (BFG KO2 275/60/R20) rubbed slightly while turning in reverse.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please let us know how that turns out.
yes please let us know, also looking to get 5100 when ever they become available. wanting this at setting 4 or maybe even 3 once I hear about your experience with #4
I also have the ORP package

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the first side done last night and will finish the other tonight. I'll report back on if it takes care of the issue I am having.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@DarkKn1ght @jl13 Switched my bilsteins to setting #4 from #5 over the last couple nights. So far I haven't had the thumping issue I had before. The truck actually feels a bit more planted. I enjoy setting #4 much more than #5 after a brief test drive. The swap gets much easier the more you do this. Only took an hour an a half per side. I made sure to be thorough with the torquing of everything also. I torqued the UCA upper bolts, shock mount lower bolt and shock mount upper nuts while the truck was on the ground. Also if interested here are my lift heights from setting #4 and #5. I dropped a 1/2" as expected.

Setting #5:
Front: 39.5"
Rear: 40"

Setting #4:
Front: 39"
4C24F651-F28F-45B6-9DC4-49AB040B64EC.jpeg
68762741-990F-452C-83D1-A1F207B747B2.jpeg
F8B12B97-A36E-446F-912B-589E25C15D71.jpeg
DCAEC1A8-3773-469D-8377-79DC228B42BB.jpeg

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@DarkKn1ght @jl13 Switched my bilsteins to setting #4 from #5 over the last couple nights. So far I haven't had the thumping issue I had before. The truck actually feels a bit more planted. I enjoy setting #4 much more than #5 after a brief test drive. The swap gets much easier the more you do this. Only took an hour an a half per side. I made sure to be thorough with the torquing of everything also. I torqued the UCA upper bolts, shock mount lower bolt and shock mount upper nuts while the truck was on the ground. Also if interested here are my lift heights from setting #4 and #5. I dropped a 1/2" as expected.

Setting #5:

Setting #4:
View attachment 111490
View attachment 111491
View attachment 111492
View attachment 111493
thanks for the great feedback and numbers. the difference front to back on setting #4 is what I would like to keep

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Setting #5:

Setting #4:
View attachment 111490
View attachment 111491
View attachment 111492
View attachment 111493
and I hear you, things get easier after a second time, recently had to change the uca's twice on my dad's lifted 05 jeep grand cherokee. he settle on some jba's

Users who are viewing this thread