5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein Level Installed - Issue

EJ84

Reaction score
Z0n3
Any chance you can post pictures of your truck on setting 4 when you have time?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Z0n3
Any chance you can post pictures of your truck on setting 4 when you have time?
I will have to try and take one this weekend when we have daylight. Its dark going to and from work!

EJ84

Reaction score
Looks good! The rear is only ORP springs?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good! The rear is only ORP springs?
The picture might make it look nose high, but it’s on a slight slope towards the rear FYI. Also, yes the rear had the stock ORP springs and bilstein 5100 shocks. The shocks don’t lift it at all though, they’re just a direct replacement.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks good. Will be installing all four this Tuesday, and that is exactly what I am striving for. Just enough rake to not go nose up when hauling. Thanks to this thread, I’m gonna set it and forget it at ring 4. Thanks, guys! 🤙🏽👊🏽😋
Don't think you can go wrong on setting 4 with ORP or north edition. Please post pictures once you get them installed!

Kman1080

Reaction score
I installed Rough Country control arms and the 2" spacer also and in the back I went and purchased Tough Truck heavy duty springs to beef it up better., I will be removing the 2 inch spacer and installing the rough country leveling strut.

Sorry for the revival on this but I’m new here! I have a 2020 Laramie 1500 Night edition with the stock 22” rims and have been eyeballing those Rough Country loaded struts to level my truck because I’m looking at doing tires on it in the very near future (before snow really starts flying here in NW burbs of Chicago).

With that being said, I saw that you mentioned you were gonna be installing the RC leveling struts. Just wanted to see what you think of them? From all that I’ve been reading lately, it seems that some say their truck is nose high after installing them.

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated from you and anybody else? Same with suggestions on tire setup too!! TIA

Ccroce

Reaction score
Sorry for the revival on this but I’m new here! I have a 2020 Laramie 1500 Night edition with the stock 22” rims and have been eyeballing those Rough Country loaded struts to level my truck because I’m looking at doing tires on it in the very near future (before snow really starts flying here in NW burbs of Chicago).

With that being said, I saw that you mentioned you were gonna be installing the RC leveling struts. Just wanted to see what you think of them? From all that I’ve been reading lately, it seems that some say their truck is nose high after installing them.

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated from you and anybody else? Same with suggestions on tire setup too!! TIA
These trucks don’t have a lot of rake. I used the Bilstein’s on #4 (non ORP) and got 1.3” in the front and it’s close to perfectly level. Now I want to raise the rear up about .5-1” so I don’t sit nose high under load. If you are doing it yourself, I’d recommend the RC coilovers for the sake of convenience, but I’d then do a 1.5 inch lift in the rear with ICON springs and 0-2” extended shocks.

Ccroce

Reaction score
That looks good. Will be installing all four this Tuesday, and that is exactly what I am striving for. Just enough rake to not go nose up when hauling. Thanks to this thread, I’m gonna set it and forget it at ring 4. Thanks, guys! 🤙🏽👊🏽😋
@z0n3 is right in that setting 4 is the right balance. My truck (non ORP) sits almost dead level on #4, but any lower wouldn’t be worth it and any higher could require UCAs and other considerations. I think if I towed today on #4 or even put a couple hundred pounds in the bed, I’d be a little nose high. I’d still recommend a small <1” rear lift if you’re concerned about squatting under load. I’m going to take z0n3’s suggestion and get the 5100 rear shocks with the B12 coils for the extra inch.

Attachments

• 3437D8BC-46EA-4806-9241-8DF48AC96ECA.jpeg
    3437D8BC-46EA-4806-9241-8DF48AC96ECA.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 33AB7F70-D407-4B28-94F8-90F9EC65CAE1.jpeg
    33AB7F70-D407-4B28-94F8-90F9EC65CAE1.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 78

EJ84

Reaction score
Looks good. I am adding ORP springs front and rear and can’t decide setting 3 or 4...... tough decision I only want to pay once

Ccroce

Reaction score
Looks good. I am adding ORP springs front and rear and can’t decide setting 3 or 4...... tough decision I only want to pay once
If you add them to the rear, you’d need the ORP shocks too. According to Bilstein tech support, the non ORP shocks don’t have enough travel to safely accommodate the extra inch. Can’t speak to the accuracy but that’s what I was told.

EJ84

Reaction score
If you add them to the rear, you’d need the ORP shocks too. According to Bilstein tech support, the non ORP shocks don’t have enough travel to safely accommodate the extra inch. Can’t speak to the accuracy but that’s what I was told.
If that’s the case maybe I’m better off just adding a spacer?

Ccroce

Reaction score
If that’s the case maybe I’m better off just adding a spacer?
It would be the same. The smallest rear spacer I’ve seen for the 5th gen is 1”. I would just get the shocks and do it right man. Bilstein and Eibach both make rear shocks to accommodate a 1” rear lift. They’re about $200+ for the set. ORP ones are probably even cheaper. It’s easy to replace them - I would suggest just doing it when you do the coils. You’ll have to disconnect the bottom of the shock anyways - might as well just swap them while you’re in there.

EJ84

Reaction score
My first post probably wasn’t enough info. I bought Front and rear Bilsteins, the rear says 0-2 of lift so I was thinking that would accommodate the 1” ORP springs.

Ccroce

Reaction score
My first post probably wasn’t enough info. I bought Front and rear Bilsteins, the rear says 0-2 of lift so I was thinking that would accommodate the 1” ORP springs.
Perfect, you’re all set then. Would love to see a pic when it’s done! Are you upgrading tires?

EJ84

Reaction score
Yes, planning on new tires nothing crazy. I’m thinking 275/60/20 most likely Toyo at3

Ccroce

Reaction score
Yes, planning on new tires nothing crazy. I’m thinking 275/60/20 most likely Toyo at3
Same here, but probably 285/60/20 or 295/55/20. Want to stay within the T or S speed rating. I like the Toyos and their 295/55 is a T-speed rated E load range tire, T being the same speed rating as the factory tires.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@z0n3 is right in that setting 4 is the right balance. My truck (non ORP) sits almost dead level on #4, but any lower wouldn’t be worth it and any higher could require UCAs and other considerations. I think if I towed today on #4 or even put a couple hundred pounds in the bed, I’d be a little nose high. I’d still recommend a small <1” rear lift if you’re concerned about squatting under load. I’m going to take z0n3’s suggestion and get the 5100 rear shocks with the B12 coils for the extra inch.
Truck sits at 4WP as I type this, getting all 4 installed today, plus alignment, etc. Don’t do much towing, but haul quite a bit of weight in my bed time to time. Gonna keep it stock in the rear for now, but glad I got
Unfortunately, wheels and tires are still a wait…2 of the 4 wheels are sitting in a container off SF Harbor. I like the stock look, so went with 22 inch Factory Reproduction FR76’s in chrome.
Will be wrapping them in Toyo AT-3’s, but for the time being, will be rolling on stock rims and tires with the level.

1637709862182.jpeg

Ccroce

Reaction score
Truck sits at 4WP as I type this, getting all 4 installed today, plus alignment, etc. Don’t do much towing, but haul quite a bit of weight in my bed time to time. Gonna keep it stock in the rear for now, but glad I got
Unfortunately, wheels and tires are still a wait…2 of the 4 wheels are sitting in a container off SF Harbor. I like the stock look, so went with 22 inch Factory Reproduction FR76’s in chrome.
Will be wrapping them in Toyo AT-3’s, but for the time being, will be rolling on stock rims and tires with the level.

View attachment 111988
Congrats - I like those wheels. I couldn’t swing tires this year, even with the Buy 3 Get 1 sale from Ram. IMO the stock 32s don’t look terrible on the small lift, so they’ll do for now. We’ll see how I feel after the raising the rear an inch though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online