5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 8112 external reservoir coilovers

MechEng

Reaction score
What’s up party people! So Bilstein lifts just dropped the 8112 on their website. I probably shouldn’t post here since they’ll likely be gone by the time I’m ready but this just opened a whole new can of worms for me. What say you? Should I just buy them? Haha

I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on the 6112, but I’ve been waiting for the rears to come in stock. This changes things.

Devon G

Reaction score
I don't see how they justify a higher price point than Fox/King. If they were 1500 range? Absolutely

MechEng

Reaction score
I don't see how they justify a higher price point than Fox/King. If they were 1500 range? Absolutely
Yeah, quick update. I called them to place an order and they advised these are 4-6 weeks out. Grrr. Ah well, went ahead and ordered the 6112s.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Are you finding 6112's in stock at retailers ? When they're not available at retailers you'll be waiting months for them. Same with 5100's. in anycase 6112's are not in the same category with 2.5 Coilovers. they're more of an upgrade from 5100's. 8112's are the real deal and more line with King 2.5 IPB's or Fox 2.5 IBP's. That's also why they're little more expensive than the non IBP versions of King or Fox 2.5 CO's. Hope that answer the question from @Devon G .
8112's will cover the front only. You'll want 8100's for the rear to match them up. Not a cheap setup but it's one that people can enjoy when you need that type of performance.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i dont offroad crazy and feel i would need 8100 s for front and rear but dam just for braggin rights im tempted haha

fartsonunicorns

Reaction score
Yeah that seems like a poor decision. For that price point I'm buying Fox shocks every day of the week. They should have tried to price them under the King and Fox coilovers

MechEng

Reaction score
Are you finding 6112's in stock at retailers ? When they're not available at retailers you'll be waiting months for them. Same with 5100's. in anycase 6112's are not in the same category with 2.5 Coilovers. they're more of an upgrade from 5100's. 8112's are the real deal and more line with King 2.5 IPB's or Fox 2.5 IBP's. That's also why they're little more expensive than the non IBP versions of King or Fox 2.5 CO's. Hope that answer the question from @Devon G .
8112's will cover the front only. You'll want 8100's for the rear to match them up. Not a cheap setup but it's one that people can enjoy when you need that type of performance.
I ordered the 6112 from Bilstein lifts. They are in stock as of now. They had like 30 in stock when I purchased. They are already in transit after buying yesterday. They’ll be here tomorrow.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Yeah that seems like a poor decision. For that price point I'm buying Fox shocks every day of the week. They should have tried to price them under the King and Fox coilovers
Check this video out. It'll give you a little better perspective. They're not standard Coilovers. 8112's are more inline with King or FOX IBPs. OME P51's are also IBPs for example but their piston is tiny in comparison to a standard 2.5 CO
I don't know if that will be the case with the 8112's though. You can ask King or Fox for a custom IBP CO. Sky is the limit. Bilstein is already giving you an OE IBP option if you like to see it that way.

If you look into the King IBPs for example you may find some of the similarities

Nobody made an OE IBP mid travel setup that could run in the RAM until now.
Dirt King uses IBPs but they're for their long travel CO Kit for the 4th gen RAM 1500 for example.

With 8112 you get a mid travel package without the need for hydro cans in the front which nobody makes either for our trucks, so having that hydro bump on a jump when the truck takes air and lands hard will be simply awesome. Rigth now youll need to valve your Fox or King heavier or adjust your DSCs to their firmess setting to prevent your COs from bottoming out if you land hard. And I could almost promise you if you try to jump your truck with the OE COs you will bottom them out hard especially without any secondary hydro bump to supplement the hard blows. Sure they will take some hits but if you had a setup with 2.5 COs with 2.5 hydro bumps you'll understand what I'm saying when the secondary bump takes over the hard hits.
8112's or IBPs can solve that issue and they'll be handy in a setup when there is no space for hydro bumps or worst in a setup where nobody makes a bracket to mount hydro bumps at all.

Hope it helps.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check this video out. It'll give you a little better perspective. They're not standard Coilovers. 8112's are more inline with King or FOX IBPs. OME P51's are also IBPs for example but their piston is tiny in comparison to a standard 2.5 CO
I don't know if that will be the case with the 8112's though. You can ask King or Fox for a custom IBP CO. Sky is the limit. Bilstein is already giving you an OE IBP option if you like to see it that way.

If you look into the King IBPs for example you may find some of the similarities

Nobody made an OE IBP mid travel setup that could run in the RAM until now.
Dirt King uses IBPs but they're for their long travel CO Kit for the 4th gen RAM 1500 for example.

With 8112 you get a mid travel package without the need for hydro cans in the front which nobody makes either for our trucks, so having that hydro bump on a jump when the truck takes air and lands hard will be simply awesome. Rigth now youll need to valve your Fox or King heavier or adjust your DSCs to their firmess setting to prevent your COs from bottoming out if you land hard. And I could almost promise you if you try to jump your truck with the OE COs you will bottom them out hard especially without any secondary hydro bump to supplement the hard blows. Sure they will take some hits but if you had a setup with 2.5 COs with 2.5 hydro bumps you'll understand what I'm saying when the secondary bump takes over the hard hits.
8112's or IBPs can solve that issue and they'll be handy in a setup when there is no space for hydro bumps or worst in a setup where nobody makes a bracket to mount hydro bumps at all.

Hope it helps.
bro that help explain so much that i thought you was a blinsteins salesman and almost said take my money 😂😵

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
bro that help explain so much that i thought you was a blinsteins salesman and almost said take my money 😂😵
Maybe one day i should start a retail business of selling suspension parts for the RAM 1500 market hahaha.
Honestly most will be more than happy with King or Fox CO's, we're not jumping our trucks at least in a way that you'll need hydro bumps. worst case the hard landings will feel harsh because of our internal bumpstops will hit. There is a big shim at the bottom of my Kings that at times looks like a "U", that's how many times i've hit the bumpstops :) if it hit the bumpstops that hard chances are that shim will go flat again. lol This is when it'll be nice to have IBP's and let that hydro internal bumpstop do the work as intended.

Last edited:

MechEng

Reaction score
Just received my 6112 from Bilstein lifts. Pretty fast shipping, although they are like 20 miles from me.

Attachments

• 6CEDAB51-F464-4BEC-9D18-108805758CBB.jpeg
    6CEDAB51-F464-4BEC-9D18-108805758CBB.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 91

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe one day i should start a retail business of selling suspension parts for the RAM 1500 market hahaha.
Honestly most will be more than happy with King or Fox CO's, we're not jumping our trucks at least in a way that you'll need hydro bumps. worst case the hard landings will feel harsh because of our internal bumpstops will hit. There is a big shim at the bottom of my Kings that at times looks like a "U", that's how many times i've hit the bumpstops :) if it hit the bumpstops that hard chances are that shim will go flat again. lol This is when it'll be nice to have IBP's and let that hydro internal bumpstop do the work as intended.
Lol i like to test the waters 😆🤣

George_RAM

Reaction score
I was following this post and wondering if anyone had pulled the trigger on the 8112 Bilstein Shocks?

Happy New Year !!!!

Last edited:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 8112/8100 set on mine. Absolutely love them!
how great are they ? some more feed back lol videos pics everything i got fox2.5 dsc would love to see comparisons

mp1

Reaction score
how great are they ? some more feed back lol videos pics everything i got fox2.5 dsc would love to see comparisons
I had 5100s on all corners at first. To be honest, the 5100s drive slightly better on the streets. When I switched to the 8112/8100s I immediately noticed that the rebound is ridiculously fast. I've only taken it off-roading a few times to the desert, but didn't get all crazy with it...I'm still hesitant to take too much risk with a nice expensive truck lol.

Here are a couple from the install. For the front 8112s, I know Bilstein doesn't put the reservoir where Fox puts theirs, Bilstein has it tucked behind the bumper where Fox has it in the middle of the wheel well for all to see.

Attachments

• 8100.jpg
    8100.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 8112.jpg
    8112.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 93

Users who are viewing this thread